Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why do most british people totally disrespect our soldiers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why I should respect someone because they are a soldier. I don't think that carrying out orders gets you out of the responsibility of pulling a trigger. I recognise that the military can also often do a lot of humanitarian work. I just don't base my respect for someone on whether they are in the military or not.
    I tend to not have respect for those who take human lives, but being in the military doesn't necessarily mean taking human lives, and I think it's acceptable to act in self defence (although I'm not sure that our current foreign policy reflects my ideals).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    No, i want the government to do what the tax payers want.
    Fixed.

Blaming the armed forces for the war is unbelievably farcical.

ReputationRep:
    Do we all have to take a road trip to Wooton Bassett to prove we don't hate the armed forces or something?

I don't think I'm particularly disrespectful, but to suggest that just because I don't go for an outpouring of grief that I am disrespectful is a tad off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    Do we all have to take a road trip to Wooton Bassett to prove we don't hate the armed forces or something?
    Not at all mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by General Ourumov)
    This is true, however when your not provided with correct kit and treated like scum by many it begs the questions, why? :rolleyes:
    I have no idea why. I'm sure many of them aren't maybe as grounded in the reality of what they are doing as they should be.

But either way, they don't deserve immediate respect for entering the armed forces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    Fixed.

Blaming the armed forces for the war is unbelievably farcical.
    As is respecting them for it...

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't really care if someone's a soldier or not. I just see it as a job. A dangerous one, so I might consider them brave, but that's it. But why should you support people for doing something if you don't think they should be doing it?

ReputationRep:
    I think most British people do in fact respect the armed forces but there is a loud minority that don't. Those are the people who can't distinguish between the people who made the decision to go to war (the government) and those forced to carry out that decision as they had already enlisted (the armed forces).

And the majority that do respect the armed forces aren't going to go parading in the streets if they oppose the war are they? And to compare us to America is unfair as America is a lot more patriotic in general.

Charlie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    For what it's worth, the vast majority of this negative view towards the soldiers does seem to come from people <25.

I don't know why, or even if that is accurate, it's just my observation of it.

On TSR, it's very evident, because people like to have a shout and whinge behind their computer screens, and I'd imagine at school/college/uni you'd find more... But out in the 'real world' you don't tend to see the same attitude.
    I agree, but would say <23 so I'm not included.

I respect the troops. It makes no difference if I go and stand in the street or not, so I don't. When and where anyway? I haven't had any reasonable opportunity to go and stand at a roadside for troops. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    Most Americans are patriotic idiots, that's why. They'll cheer at anything if you put the stars and stripes on it.

British don't do much better at avoiding total stupidity, but at least we're a tad more sceptical than the Americans.

I don't see why I should be respecting troops. They signed up for their own hardships, they knew what they were getting themselves into.
    Well said - remind me to rep you.

(Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    Who's to say they won't, in future?
    If they do, assuming I actually want to be defended, I will respect them then. I see no reason why possible future acts should engender respect in the present, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    There is nothing inherently respectable about being a soldier, and they're certainly not defending me. Why should I respect them?
    That's a very narrow and ignorant viewpoint.

The very fact you have an armed forces between you and the rest of the world protects you, if you believe any different your a fool.

ReputationRep:
    I don't disrespect our soldiers [I doubt many people do] but I don't 'respect' them either. Plus, I don't understand why they deserve more respect than e.g. the police, fire brigade or those working in the NHS - they're all working for the State.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camden Town)
    I don't disrespect our soldiers [I doubt many people do] but I don't 'respect' them either. Plus, I don't understand why they deserve more respect than e.g. the police, fire brigade or those working in the NHS - they're all working for the State.
    I agree with this. I'll +rep you if I can figure out how...

(Original post by Varsity)
    That's a very narrow and ignorant viewpoint.

The very fact you have an armed forces between you and the rest of the world protects you, if you believe any different your a fool.
    What, pray tell, am I being protected from, exactly? The nuclear deterrent makes this an age of relative international peace for developed nations, and you certainly don't need a standing military in its current form to maintain that even if potential future defence were at all relevant to my point, since my lack of respect for those in the military at present certainly doesn't preclude me from respecting them in future if their actions call for it.

Also, if you're going to use ad hominem attacks and mudslinging, you might at least get your English up to form to shield you from the same. It's "you're", not "your".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camden Town)
    This.

Something I've noticed frequently in these forums is the inability for people to see that there is a middle ground in such things.

Simply because you don't respect somebody doesn't mean you disrespect them. I have absolutely no opinion about individual soldiers because I don't know them, and I believe that respect is something that has to be earned on an individual basis - it is not given immediately upon your entry into a certain group. This doesn't mean I look down on them.

People seem to always take the opinion that if you argue with their viewpoint, you must be taking the opposite viewpoint. In actual fact, I'm very often taking a neutral viewpoint, and only challenging their non-neutral viewpoint because there's no rational reason that they shouldn't be neutral too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    But either way, they don't deserve immediate respect for entering the armed forces.
    This is true but respect should be automatically given to them for dealing with tough situations and should never have to endure the ***** they get.

ReputationRep:
    Brits are just so pessimistic, they're only happy when they've got something to be unhappy about. Well, some of them at least.

I have respect for soldiers, because ultimatly if a proper war came along they'd be dying to protect my life and my (the Western) world. I think that most people really have respect for soldiers, like if I saw one on the street I'd give them a friendly nod and so would most people around here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PAPAdawg)
    it makes me embarrassed to be from here.

in america they get this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck3zw6NUF60

and huge respect from the public. in this country we get a handful of people actually can be assed to go and stand on the side of the road for 10 minutes and a load of disrespectful idiots who couldnt give 2 *****. the americans are, imo, a far better nation because of this
    The soldiers are suffering persecution because of the British Government. Their impotence and lack of judgement resulted in British troops becoming entangled in illegitimate wars. And as a result, innocent civilans became victims of the war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FM08)
    most 'british' people aren't actually 'british' nowadays!
    yes that is what i was thinking. because people are so mixed and britain is so multi cultural there isnt a sense of national pride anymore.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.