The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

dn013
The US is a country of immigrants and we still respect our soldiers. But to be honest, I think that you definitely have anti-military civilians in the US - it is just that Americans tend to be more overt about their feelings. I get the feeling that many Britons immensely respect their soldiers - as they damn well should do!!- but when they see a soldier in the street they don't buy him a drink or food (as they do in Annapolis for Navy students) but they respect the guy silently. Therefore I think that it is more down to a difference in personalities between Americans and Britons than down to Britain being too multi-cultural (after all I bet many minorities are in the British army).

yes but what i mean is that those who dont actually feel british etc. those who join the army obviously do because they believe in britain.
i wouldnt expect a pakistani for example to respect our sodiers just because they live here
Reply 61
PAPAdawg
it makes me embarrassed to be from here.

in america they get this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck3zw6NUF60

and huge respect from the public. in this country we get a handful of people actually can be assed to go and stand on the side of the road for 10 minutes and a load of disrespectful idiots who couldnt give 2 *****. the americans are, imo, a far better nation because of this

'cos they're hired killers?
I think most of the British public is for the soldiers but not the war, there is a distinct difference. The parades around the country a few months back showed this.
Reply 63
cashdogg666
yes but what i mean is that those who dont actually feel british etc. those who join the army obviously do because they believe in britain.
i wouldnt expect a pakistani for example to respect our sodiers just because they live here

I agree with you, but I am just saying that I think those examples are only highlighted by the media because most Britons are more inconspicuous in their respect for soldiers - whereas protesters are more overt in their actions. I mean just looking at this thread it looks like most people here have a respect - hopefully a pretty deep one - for British soldiers despite there being a wide range of ethnicities on this thread. But maybe I am being too optimistic about the support for the British army because of my respect for them.
dn013
I agree with you, but I am just saying that I think those examples are only highlighted by the media because most Britons are more inconspicuous in their respect for soldiers - whereas protesters are more overt in their actions. I mean just looking at this thread it looks like most people here have a respect - hopefully a pretty deep one - for British soldiers despite there being a wide range of ethnicities on this thread. But maybe I am being too optimistic about the support for the British army because of my respect for them.

yeah true. people in this country only appear to speak out if they disagree with something. so yeah we dont actually see or hear from those who have respect in the media.
la fille danse
I am American. I respect soldiers as much as I expect anyone else I don't know. I see no reason to extend any extra respect to someone because they have volunteered to kill or be killed. :s-smilie:

I agree, my dad was in the army and a few months ago during that 2 minute silence my parents lost track of time and some people came up and called us scum and having no respect, my dad politely and quietly spoke back saying he was in the forces and his way of showing respect was different, he honoured them every day in private and at home and didnt think the 2 minute silence cancelled out the other times nor does speaking(by accident) make our family scum.

I feel the same, not just about soldiers but during say a charity event like Children in Need, I feel like its just a way for people to pay a little money to make them feel better about their own lives its not about the charity but themselves.

A few months ago I was on another board and this woman started a topic saying her husband was in the forces and came back for a break and why didnt he get more pay from the forces, why didnt he and his friends get parades etc.

I think people shouldnt be given parades for doing their job as thats what they are paid for except in extreme circumstances, just like when I see parents on news reports when their child has been killed something like Afghanistan saying "How could he of died, he shouldnt of been put in danger etc" well why have soldiers if there is no war?
Reply 66
FiveFiveSix
Most of the British population support the Forces, it's just the minority that don't tend to be very vocal about it. I've had people spit at me, call me rather offensive names, and behave very rudely, but I've also had others thank me, shake my hand, wish me well or just happily chat away to me. You have to take the rough with the smooth, and ignore the ignorant throbbers. Heh, if you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined!

War is a terrible, nasty and horrible thing, but the alternative is worse. A very wise man said it far better than I could, see my sig for the exact quote.

Err, no it's not. It's quite easy in fact!

I wasn't saying I'm like that, just what I've picked up on
Reply 67
General Ourumov
This is true but respect should be automatically given to them for dealing with tough situations and should never have to endure the ***** they get.

Why should it automatically be given?
I'm one of those who actively disrespects soldiers (not actively as in protesting against them!).
The soldiers have chosen to do what they do, and they enlisted knowing that they may (and in fact probably would) be directly or indirectly involved in killing someone during their time in the army. I don't respect anyone willing to kill.
They 'deal with tough situations' because they've chosen to. Luckily, none have been forced into that career - it's a decision they've made.

Someone mentioned earlier that those who don't respect the armed forces aren't aware of all the good they do. Personally, I'm very aware of that, but don't agree that my saving the lives of five people gives me any right to go out and kill another. Good doesn't always outweigh bad.
cpj1987
I don't respect anyone willing to kill.

What a naive mentality.

I doubt you would be singing the same tune if a British solider stood between you and a foreign enemy.
Reply 69
Forbidden Fruit
What a naive mentality.

I doubt you would be singing the same tune if a British solider stood between you and a foreign enemy.

Why does THAT make it ok to kill?
cpj1987
Why does THAT make it ok to kill?

So, you would rather he just agreed with your view and allowed your face to be pelted with bullets?
Reply 71
Forbidden Fruit
So, you would rather he just agreed with your view and allowed your face to be pelted with bullets? Or perhaps allow you to be taken prisoner and eventually decapitated?

I don't agree with killing at all. If someone else does, and kills me (though of course I'd run! :p: ) then at least I've still not killed, or had someone kill for me.
I'm not saying my view's not a stupid one (or a selfish one), but I have very strong opinions of killing.
cpj1987
I don't agree with killing at all. If someone else does, and kills me (though of course I'd run! :p: ) then at least I've still not killed, or had someone kill for me.
I'm not saying my view's not a stupid one (or a selfish one), but I have very strong opinions of killing.

So, we should have allowed the Nazis to progress their holocaust and attempt at building a vast empire? God forbid, we should have actually killed Hitler and his associates. :rolleyes:
Reply 73
cashdogg666
yes that is what i was thinking. because people are so mixed and britain is so multi cultural there isnt a sense of national pride anymore.

except 91% of the population are white British

and a lot of the people who represent this country as proudly as anyone else in sport for one thing are ethnic minorities (black footballers most obviously) - so that really makes no sense.
joshp1407
'cos they're hired killers?

:rofl: You and poptopia should get together sometime. It could be the start of something beautiful :wink:

King Pieb
I wasn't saying I'm like that, just what I've picked up on

I know chum, wasn't having a go, just saying!

cpj1987

I'm one of those who actively disrespects soldiers (not actively as in

Well, good for you, little girl. Luckily for you, it doesn't matter what your personal opinions are, there are still people willing to give their all to protect you.
Reply 75
Phugoid
Most Americans are patriotic idiots, that's why. They'll cheer at anything if you put the stars and stripes on it.

British don't do much better at avoiding total stupidity, but at least we're a tad more sceptical than the Americans.

I don't see why I should be respecting troops. They signed up for their own hardships, they knew what they were getting themselves into.

That was a sensible post until I read that last part. You live in such a bubble, its almost as if you rather be invaded than have to support British troops.
In america Patronism is seen as a great thing In Britain we see things how they are and call them that way. Its not the soldiers fault their fighting and unjust war but at the same time why should we celebrate the killing of those who have done nothing to us?
Drewski
For what it's worth, the vast majority of this negative view towards the soldiers does seem to come from people <25.

I don't know why, or even if that is accurate, it's just my observation of it.

On TSR, it's very evident, because people like to have a shout and whinge behind their computer screens, and I'd imagine at school/college/uni you'd find more... But out in the 'real world' you don't tend to see the same attitude.

lmao......ofcourse its very evident on TSR....TSR is a student forum....You cant use TSR as evidence that under 25's have the majority of negative views on soldiers.

Anyway my view on this matter is....that although soldiers go out there and fight because their government tells them too (so in some way not their fault). But at the end of the day, they go to kill. For example in afghanistan. Most casualties are innocent civilians. So supporting "our troops" is like supporting the mass murder of people.
Erm, the job of a soldier is to murder human beings due a foreign government's political beliefs conflicting with their government's political beliefs. Sorry, what aspect of this behaviour are we supposed respect?
There's too many posts I disagree with to post; though I'm currently serving, so I guess I'm biased.

Camden Town
I don't disrespect our soldiers [I doubt many people do] but I don't 'respect' them either. Plus, I don't understand why they deserve more respect than e.g. the police, fire brigade or those working in the NHS - they're all working for the State.

[I haven't read furhter than your post, so excuse me if this has been posted]

The difference between them is that, though they do an excellent job (and equally is unrewarded at times), they a) aren't getting shot at (atleast not a lot of the time), and b) when they do decide that they've had enough and go on strike, we take their places; running around putting fires out all over the country. We didn't sign up to do that either, so why should we have to cover for the Fire Brigade when they throw their toys out of the pram? We shouldn't - but we do it, the same way we didn't join to have equipment shortages, but we deal with that too.

What about all those muslim-hating-thugs who you shouldn't respect when they're (though the current operational climate doesn't permit too much of it at the mo') off feeding hungry little africans; should we respect them for that?

I am proud to serve, as I've said before, but at times I wonder why I wish to potentially give my life for people who are so self-absorbed to give a **** (as is shown all too regularly on TSR). Thankfully as has been said it's the minority outvoicing the majority, as is always the way in the UK (hence why we can't simply get rid of the *real* thugs (even though we know who they are/ what they're planning on doing), until they do something nasty).

Finally, I often wonder why it is that so many British have been sucked in, and support looking out for those which intend to cause harm to our freedom, because like it or not, these people which like to blow up buses, are impinging on our freedom - they're killing innocent British people!

Argue about the war, please do, but leave us on the sharp-side out of it.

:top:

Latest

Trending

Trending