Turn on thread page Beta

why do most british people totally disrespect our soldiers? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    There's too many posts I disagree with to post; though I'm currently serving, so I guess I'm biased.

(Original post by Camden Town)
    I don't disrespect our soldiers [I doubt many people do] but I don't 'respect' them either. Plus, I don't understand why they deserve more respect than e.g. the police, fire brigade or those working in the NHS - they're all working for the State.
    [I haven't read furhter than your post, so excuse me if this has been posted]

The difference between them is that, though they do an excellent job (and equally is unrewarded at times), they a) aren't getting shot at (atleast not a lot of the time), and b) when they do decide that they've had enough and go on strike, we take their places; running around putting fires out all over the country. We didn't sign up to do that either, so why should we have to cover for the Fire Brigade when they throw their toys out of the pram? We shouldn't - but we do it, the same way we didn't join to have equipment shortages, but we deal with that too.

What about all those muslim-hating-thugs who you shouldn't respect when they're (though the current operational climate doesn't permit too much of it at the mo') off feeding hungry little africans; should we respect them for that?

I am proud to serve, as I've said before, but at times I wonder why I wish to potentially give my life for people who are so self-absorbed to give a **** (as is shown all too regularly on TSR). Thankfully as has been said it's the minority outvoicing the majority, as is always the way in the UK (hence why we can't simply get rid of the *real* thugs (even though we know who they are/ what they're planning on doing), until they do something nasty).

Finally, I often wonder why it is that so many British have been sucked in, and support looking out for those which intend to cause harm to our freedom, because like it or not, these people which like to blow up buses, are impinging on our freedom - they're killing innocent British people!

Argue about the war, please do, but leave us on the sharp-side out of it.

:top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djmarkmclachlan)
    they're killing innocent British people!
    And soldiers are killing innocent people in other areas of the world. Forgive me, but I'm genuinely wondering this based on your post; do you not feel guilty at all for what you're doing?
    I've always believed that two wrongs don't make a right - I don't see why this suddenly wouldn't apply when it's 'revenge for killing by killing another'.

ReputationRep:
    It's the same reason we Scots started getting rid of kings when it suited us; people either believe that they're doing the wrong thing and/or believe they are doing a bad job of it. There is also the old problem that soldiers and we civvies don't tend to mix well socially.

I know a few lads in the forces and to me they are the dogs ********, great lads that are being sent to do a bloody difficult job with crap equipment for peanuts. But I don't think not turning up to their homecoming parade etc equates to disrespecting them and frankly, a lot of people have their own lives to live and can't just go out to clap them along when they come home.

Also this "they go to kill" view isn't correct at all. It's just circumstantial, if they could defeat taliban and retrieve territories without killing then don't you think they would? When you have fundamentalists trying to kill you by any means possible then your options tend to become very limited and you revert back to 'kill or be killed'. Innocents have and will continue to be killed, it's not a new thing either and it's something that both ourselves and our enemies are guilty of and it's been a part of war for a long time now. So anyone that thinks that a war can be waged without innocents being killed is wearing rose tinted glasses because it's just not going to happen. All we can do is limit the damage we do as best we can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    What, pray tell, am I being protected from, exactly? The nuclear deterrent makes this an age of relative international peace for developed nations, and you certainly don't need a standing military in its current form to maintain that even if potential future defence were at all relevant to my point, since my lack of respect for those in the military at present certainly doesn't preclude me from respecting them in future if their actions call for it.
    A nuclear deterrent prevent a full scale invasion only.
    In case you have not notices we are an Island nation which means over 90% of our trade is by sea.
    Put very simply, without a standing military we could not have the economic power we enjoy currently so you are enjoying the benefits of their protection, and that's without me even going into anything historical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isitjustme...)
    Erm, the job of a soldier is to murder human beings due a foreign government's political beliefs conflicting with their government's political beliefs. Sorry, what aspect of this behaviour are we supposed respect?
    The fact that they are putting their asses on the line just so that you can live how you want to live and say what you want to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegreatest)
    lmao......ofcourse its very evident on TSR....TSR is a student forum....You cant use TSR as evidence that under 25's have the majority of negative views on soldiers.

Anyway my view on this matter is....that although soldiers go out there and fight because their government tells them too (so in some way not their fault). But at the end of the day, they go to kill. For example in afghanistan. Most casualties are innocent civilians. So supporting "our troops" is like supporting the mass murder of people.
    You have no idea what you're talking about, so do us a favour and shut the hell up. I think you'll do well to find any directive for troops going out to sandy places which tell them that their role is "to kill."

Are you seriously so ignorant? It is *exactly* people like you I mentioned in my previous post: I am very proud to do my part for my country, for you however, I could care less is you rotted a horrible death. Our soldiers are going without, in very very hard times, and you honestly believe we're there "to kill"? Do you think that's enough of a reason for us to pack up our stuff and say cya in a couple of months to our families; because we are mass murderers, looking to kill innocent kids? **** you. If you're so against us, take a walk infront of us.

Incase you're atall interested, our soldiers on the frontline have very strict orders on who/what/when they can shoot, and they have to justify every shot. Now picture yourself in that situation, with kids walking around you with rifles, aiming at you, yet you still can't shoot, simply because s/he hasn't pulled the trigger. That one time they *do* pull the trigger might go in your skull. Yet we're willing to go through this, for a war you disagree with, because it's part of our commitment to NATO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    And soldiers are killing innocent people in other areas of the world. Forgive me, but I'm genuinely wondering this based on your post; do you not feel guilty at all for what you're doing?
    I've always believed that two wrongs don't make a right - I don't see why this suddenly wouldn't apply when it's 'revenge for killing by killing another'.
    No British soldier kills innocent people on purpose, and if they did they would be charged for it.
    Don't make sweeping generalisations, especially offensive ones.

ReputationRep:
    I can respect our soldiers without travelling miles to stand on a street corner and hollowing artificial praise.

ReputationRep:
    Not atall. Because you've been mislead to think that we're off simply killing wifes and children, for the sake of it. We're sent to kill aggressors. Innocents may occur, but it's certainly not the intentions of any of the troops there.

Two wrongs don't make a right: grow up and live in the real world. This world isn't a kid's bedtime story: there are some very nasty people out there; our job (without making it sound story-ish) is to suppress them, to prevent them from doing evil.

ReputationRep:
    The British soldiers who fight in Iraq (and indeed soldiers who fight in any conflict) are merely doing their job, in some of the most extreme conditions, with professionalism. It's a vile job, but somebody has to do it, especially in the modern day.

If you're still looking for someone to blame, take a look at the politicians who actually make these decisions to go to war. If you don't agree with what they're doing, pick up your vote. But leave the soldiers alone, they've got it bad enough without you snotting all over them.

ReputationRep:
    Not atall. Because you've been mislead to think that we're off simply killing wifes and children, for the sake of it. We're sent to kill aggressors. Innocents may occur, but it's certainly not the intentions of any of the troops there.

Two wrongs don't make a right: grow up and live in the real world. This world isn't a kid's bedtime story: there are some very nasty people out there; our job (without making it sound story-ish) is to suppress them, to prevent them from doing evil.

The bit in bold I still disagree with. Like I say, I'm a pacifist; I don't believe in killing. I just wondered if you felt any remorse after killing, particularly after mistakenly killing an innocent.

ReputationRep:
    The bit in bold I still disagree with. Like I say, I'm a pacifist; I don't believe in killing. I just wondered if you felt any remorse after killing, particularly after mistakenly killing an innocent.
    I haven't killed anyone, but I can assure you now, I wouldn't. As I said, innocents have occured, and that is a shame but it's a necessary evil.

Unfortunately, pacifism doesn't work in our current climate: do you think those who are blowing themselves up give a **** if you're anti-war? No, they don't care what you are. I'd much sooner kill an innocent in an attempt to get the badguys; otherwise we can just sit back and wait for them to kill us (in which case I'd be equally as innocent).

As I said, argue about the war - but don't hate those involved in it; you'd be surprised by some of the opinions of those serving (and we're not all out just to kill either).

ReputationRep:
    I haven't killed anyone, but I can assure you now, I wouldn't. As I said, innocents have occured, and that is a shame but it's a necessary evil.

Unfortunately, pacifism doesn't work in our current climate: do you think those who are blowing themselves up give a **** if you're anti-war? No, they don't care what you are. I'd much sooner kill an innocent in an attempt to get the badguys; otherwise we can just sit back and wait for them to kill us (in which case I'd be equally as innocent).

As I said, argue about the war - but don't hate those involved in it; you'd be surprised by some of the opinions of those serving (and we're not all out just to kill either).

Fair enough. Just wondered.

ReputationRep:
    We're sent to kill aggressors. Innocents may occur

"Aggressor" being defined as whoever your political masters decide need to be killed. Today, it is an innocent family in Afghanistan, tomorrow it is a another innocent family in Iraq.

You are pawns to a giant political game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    "Aggressor" being defined as whoever your political masters decide need to be killed. Today, it is an innocent family in Afghanistan, tomorrow it is a another innocent family in Iraq.

Aggressor being defined as someone who initiates hostilities, ie. bombs buses/ flies planes into towers of people/ drives cars into airports (don't know about you but that sounds like something I've read before), or perhaps I'm spitballing.

I'm not here arguing about the war or getting into politics - it bores me. I'm arguing about peoples' opinions towards those, pawns, sent to fight it. You're right; we go where we're told, sometimes reluctantly - but it's what we signed to do - in belief of the greater good, though unfortunately an innocent family in Iraq/ Afghan, heck why not make it two, may perish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)

Fail. You have neither facts nor evidence to back up your assertions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    The fact that they are putting their asses on the line just so that you can live how you want to live and say what you want to say.
    Yeah, while preventing others from living how they want to live and saying what they want to say :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, while preventing others from living how they want to live and saying what they want to say :rolleyes:
    Oh ye because the taliban were so great for human rights.
    Oh ye because Al Qaeda were so great for human rights.
    Oh ye because Saddam Hussein was so great for human rights.
    Oh ye because Milosevic was so great for human rights.
    Oh ye because Argentina was so great for human rights.
    Oh ye because the IRA was so great for human rights.
    Oh ye because Sierra Leone militias were so great for human rights.

Oh ye the British army intentionally aims to kill and suppress as many civilians as possible just for shi*s and giggles :stupid:

ReputationRep:
    You clearly (and the other girl) have no comprehension of what war involves, and the reasons for it. Preventing other people from living? So, handing out school supplies to children, giving medical attention to wounded civilians, building vital infrastructure, is preventing others from living? Our soldiers go to war so that others can have a better quality of life. I am also a pacifist, in an ideal world there would be no war, but you're a ******* idiot if you're suggesting that our soldiers are filthy murderers. I mean, the Iraqis were so much better off when ol' Saddam was looking out for them with his plethora of chemical weapons.

If you want to call someone murderers, look to the members of the Taliban, Al-Qaeda and the people who support them.

ReputationRep:
    Why? Because theyre happy in their own little bubble, they dont even realise theyre the ones providing it.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.