Turn on thread page Beta

why do most british people totally disrespect our soldiers? watch

(Original post by Drewski)
    For what it's worth, the vast majority of this negative view towards the soldiers does seem to come from people <25.

I don't know why, or even if that is accurate, it's just my observation of it.

On TSR, it's very evident, because people like to have a shout and whinge behind their computer screens, and I'd imagine at school/college/uni you'd find more... But out in the 'real world' you don't tend to see the same attitude.
    True, teenagers these days are so disrespectful :sigh:

Well, not all, just the chavvy ones.

ReputationRep:
    Of course I respect soldiers? Why on earth wouldn't I?

So many angry little schoolchildren on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PAPAdawg)
    the americans are, imo, a far better nation because of this
    And that's why I'll be moving there. England is dead. I'm taking what I can get from it and leaving.

ReputationRep:
    op, why do you disrespect most British people by making such a sweeping generalisation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PAPAdawg)
    it makes me embarrassed to be from here.

in america they get this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck3zw6NUF60

and huge respect from the public. in this country we get a handful of people actually can be assed to go and stand on the side of the road for 10 minutes and a load of disrespectful idiots who couldnt give 2 *****. the americans are, imo, a far better nation because of this
    I'd have to say America is a far worse nation because of this. Patriotism is bad. Violence is bad. Killing is bad.

What's to respect?

ReputationRep:
    Because the war doesn't seem very real? Not many British people have died from it, thus it doesn't affect many British families, and it's thousands of miles away? Everyone has a lot of respect for 1 minute silence on Nov 11th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    I'd have to say America is a far worse nation because of this. Patriotism is bad. Violence is bad. Killing is bad.

What's to respect?
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Most?!

ReputationRep:
    I don't respect or disrespect soldiers. I nothing them.

(Original post by dn013)
    Your comments would be better targeted at a government. The government has a choice as to whether wage war or not to - by the time a soldier is in a situation where he is going to have to kill he is usually acting in self defense.
    Just as I couldn't hit someone and then morally claim self-defence when they hit me back and I responded, a soldier cannot morally claim self-defence when they voluntarily put themselves in a situation which they know might involve them having to kill or be killed. That seems in principle no different than using "I was just following orders" as a defence.

For the record, I'm not a pacifist; I believe there are perfectly moral reasons for killing or harming others. A soldier could be entirely justified in pulling the trigger on another soldier, but they're not automatically so because one government declared war on another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    Just as I couldn't hit someone and then morally claim self-defence when they hit me back and I responded, a soldier cannot morally claim self-defence when they voluntarily put themselves in a situation which they know might involve them having to kill or be killed. That seems in principle no different than using "I was just following orders" as a defence.

For the record, I'm not a pacifist; I believe there are perfectly moral reasons for killing or harming others. A soldier could be entirely justified in pulling the trigger on another soldier, but they're not automatically so because one government declared war on another.
    So when would you think that it is justified for a soldier to kill another soldier?

(Original post by dn013)
    So when would you think that it is justified for a soldier to kill another soldier?
    When the killing soldier's cause is just according to my moral system.

ReputationRep:
    When the killing soldier's cause is just according to my moral system.
    Ye i got that bit, but what is your 'moral system'

(Original post by dn013)
    Ye i got that bit, but what is your 'moral system'
    Only purely defensive or consensual use of force is moral, whatever the scale. Neither the conflicts in Afghanistan or Iraq fit that criteria in my view, which would put every soldier which willing served or serves in them in the wrong. Doesn't make them bad people overall, but it's certainly a check in the negative column.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the soldiers fault, they're just doing their job. They have no control over where they are drafted to. People who hate on soldiers don't have a clue.
    From what they have to witness every day, the least they deserve is respect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachlala14)
    It's not the soldiers fault, they're just doing their job. They have no control over where they are drafted to. People who hate on soldiers don't have a clue.
    From what they have to witness every day, the least they deserve is respect

erm, how many awful actions have been done by soldiers who have said "I was just following orders?"

ReputationRep:
    Only purely defensive or consensual use of force is moral, whatever the scale. Neither the conflicts in Afghanistan or Iraq fit that criteria in my view, which would put every soldier which willing served or serves in them in the wrong. Doesn't make them bad people overall, but it's certainly a check in the negative column.
    I differ from you in that I would put the blame on the government for that. The soldiers were not acting on the governments orders, parliament voted to go to war on both occasions so what right does a soldier have to not carry out the act of a democratically elected government.

ReputationRep:
    Most British people do not disrespect our soldiers.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I've no idea, to be honest. It's shameful. People are giving up their lives for a tuppence all in the name of their country and to protect us and we couldn't care less. Obviously there are exceptions, but Britain is for the most part very apathetic towards their military personnel and in some cases very anti.

Yes, we're in a war that most disagree with. It's not the fault of the soldiers who are losing their lives. It's the government, a government the public voted in no less.

It's time Britain woke up and realised that our armed forces are worth having and deserve more respect. It's not about being jingoistic, but about being reasonable. Sure, other Western countries may be more apathetic than America, but no country shows the disrespect for our soldiers that the average Briton shows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DirtyHarry)
    Most British people do not disrespect our soldiers.
    Speak for yourself.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.