Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've an eye test next week, and I have a suspision I may be given glasses, as I've been struggling to read things close up and often getting headaches.

Anyway, as I'm in 6th form, I'll be getting the test for free. But I was wondering when it comes to the glasses, what is the NHS discount?

Is it for people in 6th form or only for people with lower incomes? And how much off do you get? Or does this depend on your circumstances?

Thank you

(didn't know where best to put this thread)

ReputationRep:
    You can choose a frame from the NHS section or if you want better quality ones i.e. a famous make you will have to pay for them.

ReputationRep:
    If you're in full time education you will get a voucher which is worth I think £36.00, and if you are on benefits I think you get another voucher.

Like someone said before me, the NHS frames are free but you may need to pay towards your lenses if you want something special added i.e a non-reflective coat, that usually costs about £10, or if you need them ground down, but if these are your first glasses I doubt you will need that. If you go on your opticians website, if its a major franchise, most have info on NHS vouchers xx

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both.
    I hope I don't need them, but you never know.

ReputationRep:
    My voucher was about £50 I think when I got glasses a few weeks ago (whilst still at 6th form)

ReputationRep:
    Your voucher if it is type A is apparently worth £30 or £36 quid. You should be able to choose basic glasses ( in effect free) with that. If you want lenses then your voucher is also able to cover this. If you want glasses that happen to be more expensive then you pay the surplus.

The amount on how much your voucher is worth depends on the letter it is so B is worth higher then A. Go onto the NHS website they have a leaflet stating how much each voucher is worth.

Because you are over 16 that means that if you break you glasses you will have to pay for them ( You can only get new ones on the grounds of fair wear and tear) however if at any time before your next eyetest you feel that your prescription has changed and it does change you then get another voucher. If your prescrition does not change you may be charged by your opitician ( however I think they have to inform you of this beforehand)

Sorry it's badly written it's past 12 and my brain has died.

ReputationRep:
    I just get the free NHS frames and the cost of the lenses if coverd.
    They do the job well.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Specsavers and got a pair of frames that were supposed to be £120. Because I didn't take the second pair free, and got my NHS discount, I got them for £38. Not bad

ReputationRep:
    Go to Specsavers is my best piece of advice first as you know you aren't getting conned into paying too much for something like they do in Vision Express. I get a designer pair which are supposed to be £125 for £40 so the voucher is worth £70. There are glasses in there which cost £70 so you don't have to add anything to it and then they just go up. It's all organised for you well though so you don't get a shock and end up spending more than you planned to! Hope this helps I love my glasses, I always go for coloured ones and I'm currently wearing pink at the moment!!

Oh just realised how wrong my maths was - The glasses are supposed to be £125, I paid £40 so theres a difference of £85 so I assume that is the cost of the voucher. Or at least that is the way Specsavers work it and it sounds like you would be getting the best deal there anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I go to my local optician. I trust him.
    I'd rather go to him and help a small business than go to faceless Specsavers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack Sparrow)
    I just get the free NHS frames and the cost of the lenses if coverd.
    They do the job well.
    Yes I have the free NHS ones asewell, you will never know that they are not designer.

ReputationRep:
    My voucher was £33

ReputationRep:
    Just got back from the optician.
    I'm short sighted

My mum wasn't with me so I just had to get the free NHS ones. They aren't very good, but we're going back now to get some better ones.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.