Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm off go-karting tomorrow with mates, and would like some pre-race tips before setting off as I'm pretty competetive :p:. Apparently they're going to be 10 HP engines on the karts.

I've been once before and that was the first time I went, I remember having a problem skidding and spinning off a few times. I also remember being told to shift my body position during corners, but I can't remember which way.

Just any tips and advice would be appreciated :p:

ReputationRep:
    I went a few weeks ago, slightly less powerful than yours.
    I basically used the advice I found when reading about track racing technique, did some reading on apex's although on tiny karting tracks it's only of limited use.
    I think as a rule of thumb... slow in, fast out (of corners) - so you want to maximise your exit speed

ReputationRep:
    Approaching the corner keep to the outside, and work your way in to hit the apex....as soon as your good through the corer, foot on the gas again....some corners you may think you need to brake but actaully you may build up confidence and not brake as much if at all.

ReputationRep:
    Going sideways isn't usually as fast as cornering at full grip without skidding. You don't usually see F1 drivers drifting do you?

I've got a couple of records at karting circuits near me, I went with a friend who races a £9000 kart in one of the big leagues, and I beat his best lap by 0.04 of a second.

Also, each lap take each corner faster each lap until you feel the kart start to let go around the apex, if you're under-experienced minor understeer might be tough to pick up on, but oversteer is blatantly obvious to everyone.

Like other posters have said, go from the outside of the corner on entry, to the inside in the middle of the corner, to the outside again on the exit, this'll allow you to go faster. Anyone can drive fast in a straight line, you have to go through each corner absolutely as aggressively as possible, as fast as the kart can manage.

Oh, and when you drift, keep the front wheels pointed in the actual direction of travel or a few degrees further into the skid and you'll sail through it.

Don't expect to be brilliant first time out, it takes practice.

Drive like a ******

Oh, and be sure to come back and tell us how you did

ReputationRep:
    Don't brake in the turns. Go as far to the corner as you can before you brake. Hit the apex.
    =Win

ReputationRep:
    go for a smooth racing line 'flow' through the corners instead of stop start, break less leaving the foot off accelerator using momentum to go around.
    and do most of the stuff above

ReputationRep:
    Practise on Mario Kart Wii. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Go faster than everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Put your foot down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Practise on Mario Kart Wii. :yes:
    :yep:
    :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    As most have already said, read up on racing lines and use it effectively. Other than what has been said the more time you spend with the throttle down and the wheels in a straight direction the faster you will go.

Keep the steering wheel as straight as possible throughout the entire track. Its usually advantageous to lift off and brake earlier and keep the throttle down early and for longer on the way out of the corner. If the cart starts you slide then you are effectively scrubbing off speed.

Unless its a big track a few tenths isnt really going to be a big factor but more your racing technique, having the inside line allows you to put your cart where you want, running people wide is legal as long as long as you dont feel sympathy for them :P

ReputationRep:
    I race karts and TBH I don't think a few quick tips will help you much, it's all about bum in seat time. But if you must; it is all about getting the inside rear wheel off the ground. So whatever you do, don't brake and corner at the same time, and either be on the brakes or the throttle (don't coast), do not lean into corners. And more than likely you will turn in early, so just try turning in later than you usualy would. Oh and one more thing hit the brakes very hard, and then ease off trying too control them, it is very important for lap times that you brake properly. So each time try braking later and later.

Anything else you would like to know just ask me. Can't wait to get out testing tomorrow, just got a new engine 35bhp should be a hoot :woo:.

ReputationRep:
    i kept drifting round the corners - dont do it. they make u go into the pit

ReputationRep:
    I think the best advice is to not try too hard and enjoy yourself while trying to go as fast as you can.

If you try too hard and go too fast your more likely to spin off and get stuck in the tyre walls, where you need to wait for the marshalls.

Try and follow the racing line too, it will help. Also if you can go a bit earlier to watch the guys before you so you can work out the best places to overtake.

ReputationRep:
    brake as late as possible

ReputationRep:
    there's probably some stuff on youtube on racing lines and go karting. get to it, boy!

ReputationRep:
    Get aggressive. Turn the aggression into concentration. The rest is fairly intuitive unless you're talking about higher level karting

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to go karting , I've been a few times , won every single race. it's not hard really , just plant the gas down and don't brake , just ease of the accelerator if you need to.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your advice peeps. Went today and just got back now and it was brilliant!

First race I wasn't doing too good and I was a bit scared to brake late, and was spinning at a few corners but then second race I remembered to feather the brake and to brake late and it worked wonders. I went from 6th to 2nd and almost won the race if it wasn't for someone I was overtaking who hit my backend and made me spin out. Overall came 3rd out of 16, and went on the podium !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.