Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am due in September to start a degree in physiology and pharmacology, with a foundation year.

I was then after the foundation year and then 3 year degree intending to apply for medicine as a graduate.

However I was told today tht I may be able to apply for medicine after doing the foundation year in physio and pharmacology, as it is separate stand alone year, and not part of the physiology degree (apparently it entitles you to gain entry to the degree, rather than being part of it)

Does anyone know whether this is correct, even if it is only for the 6 year course?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've never heard of a BSc (I'm guessing that's what your degree is) with a foundation. Tbh, I'm not sure if you'd be able to switch to medicine, it's very rare and the only places I've heard of that advertise that sort of thing are Newcastle's biomedical science degree and Leicester's medical physiology/genetics and biochem courses.

Medical foundation courses could be worth a look, King's EMDP, Soton's BM6 and UEA all run courses with lower grades, although they are very competitive and you have to meet certain criteria

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like a very specific question that may be outside of the knowledge of people on this forum. I recommend you contact the admissions people at MMU for more info.

ReputationRep:
    You may be able to apply, I can't think of a good reason why not, but UCAS may.

The question in my mind is this though, will a simple foundation year be enough to make up for whatever academic criteria you fail to meet?

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for it but check with the universities you're applying to first to save yourself the app fee. The very least they'll do is set you a minimum grade to attain on the foundation course, so at least you'd have something to work for.

ReputationRep:
    If its a simple access to science course providing I remember rightly most medical schools won't accept it.

May be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    If its a simple access to science course providing I remember rightly most medical schools won't accept it.

May be wrong though.
    No, its not an access course. Its a foundation year at MMU:

www.foundationyear.mmu.ac.uk

ReputationRep:
    Surely the foundation year is to gain access to the BSc Pharm & Physiol course? Then the degree will get the OP into grad med?

I'm not seeing a problem.... :confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.