Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When should you start revising for STEP and AEA maths papers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    aa

ReputationRep:
    I started going over some STEP 2 papers at the beginning of upper sixth, but started revisiong serious hardcore after I'd got an offer involving STEP (ie around january-ish).

Our school does all the A-level maths syllabus in lower sixth and all the FM syllabus in upper, so I knew everything needed for STEP II, but tbh if you haven't finished the syllabus then there'll only be a few questions you can't do from the pure side (like 2-3 tops).

Whenever you've learnt enough material to be able to get your teeth into them. The more experience you've had, the better you'll do.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    If you've done C1-4 then I'd recommend starting ASAP (though not hardcore until later on) -- find and look through the Siklos booklets as a starting point and then look through some STEP I past papers (and STEP II when you're more confident). Attempt STEP III even if you don't have to, because it will give you a lot of skills which will help in STEP I and II (but bear in mind that you'll need knowledge from the FP modules for that). Another protip would be to look through a lot of past papers from 1987-1999; it's tempting to ignore them because they're old, but STEP have a habit of repeating some questions. For example, STEP III 2006 Q8 is an exact replica of a question from a STEP II paper in the mid-90s (I forget which exactly).

Also, as a general rule, preparing for STEP will give you enough understanding and competence to be able to do well in an AEA paper.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.