Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey all, well its a very emotionally difficult situation that has arised.
    Basically, ive been thinking about this for a few months but now its really hitting me hard, and ive been getting emotional over it which isnt great.

I am planning on going to university in september. And i am, currently, in a very serious relationship, never have i been involved in something as serious as this but the fact is, the person im with is 1 year younger than me ( shes in year 12) hence not going to uni this year, I really dont want to leave her, i cant imagine it, the second day of this year is when we started talking so well over 7 months. The uni im going to is around 40 mins away from here, but its the practicalities, i Know for a fact shes mad about me and doesnt wanna split up with me either, just like me, so i really dont wanna have to break up with her, but, with me going to uni and moving away, is it possible for us to actually work!??

I do drive, but i may not have a car available for uni time, This would effect everything? with her having to catch trains, and me also.

I just dont know what to do at all, and need some real advice or any advice at all, Ive had sleepless nights over it.

I also can not believe my luck, all this time i have been wondering why i cant find anyone right for me, and now i have, and possibly have to split up with her is upsetting,
    I dont wanna cry myself to sleep.

Any help whatsoever, and responses will be great.

Apologies for the long post, but any good responses, i cant or wont be able to thank you enough.

Gosh, its actually very upsetting...

ReputationRep:
    40 mins away really isn't that far. It might seem hard at the moment because you're used to being able to spend time with her whenever and the whole situation being very convenient. It might be hard, but once you get to uni and get into a routine, you'll get used to having to travel to see eachother. Just be grateful you're not going to uni the opposite end of the country

i would go to uni
    40 mins is nothing!
    usually you will have hardly any lectures so you will have plenty of time to get the train to see her

you could take a gap year and go to uni with her but i think this is a bad idea because you end up not making as many friends

ReputationRep:
    if i were you, id go to uni. i mean, i really do understand that you feel emotionaly attached to your girlfriend, and she feels the same way, but you cannot devote your whole life just to be with her. 40 mins really is nothing, she can catch a train too see you and you can do the same thing, and besides she can join you next year and there you go, happy ending.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with everyone else. 40 mins is nothing. Living in London I'd be surprised if any girl I met lived closer to me than that.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically, ive been thinking about this for a few months but now its really hitting me hard, and ive been getting emotional over it which isnt great.

I am planning on going to university in september. And i am, currently, in a very serious relationship, never have i been involved in something as serious as this but the fact is, the person im with is 1 year younger than me ( shes in year 12) hence not going to uni this year, I really dont want to leave her, i cant imagine it, the second day of this year is when we started talking so well over 7 months. The uni im going to is around 40 mins away from here, but its the practicalities, i Know for a fact shes mad about me and doesnt wanna split up with me either, just like me, so i really dont wanna have to break up with her, but, with me going to uni and moving away, is it possible for us to actually work!??

I do drive, but i may not have a car available for uni time, This would effect everything? with her having to catch trains, and me also.

I just dont know what to do at all, and need some real advice or any advice at all, Ive had sleepless nights over it.

I also can not believe my luck, all this time i have been wondering why i cant find anyone right for me, and now i have, and possibly have to split up with her is upsetting,

Apologies for the long post, but any good responses, i cant or wont be able to thank you enough.

Hey!
    First off, check this out: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=626670
    It's the Long Distance Relationship (LDR) advice thread. I know it's not going to be a proper LDR, but most of the principles apply: Getting to actually see your partner, making things work; etcetera.

If you both love each other, things will work out. You'll find a way.
    Essentially, it'll mean just being that little bit further away from each other, so you'll have to see each other less often; which will be hard, but there's no alternative if you want to go to University and make things work.
    Also remember that you aren't all that far away if you do decide to go through with going to university - which I reccommend you do. I'm not yet at Uni - I start in October - but it will undoubtedly be the best three or four years of your life; so don't miss out on it.
    Whatever you decide, do it for your own future, and don't sacrifice your future for someone else's.
    Hope that helps
    Benj

ReputationRep:
    Lol I thought an hour was not that bad!

It wont be an LDR if you see each other 2-3 times a week. The holidays too!

Weekends..

First off, thanks so much, i really cant thank you lot enough for such positive responses that have made me so happy right now. Im feeling more and more as though it can work. Particularly thanks to Benjie for the link,
    More responses will also be very appreciated
    god bless you lot.

ReputationRep:
    yep been there done that.
    you're still in the same country and only 40 minutes away.
    trust me, it isnt a big deal. some distance is good anyway.
    use skype if phone calls get expensive.
    with the distance between you both, seeing each other won't be boring... it's always a big, fun, exciting deal.
    it can work. you sound pretty loved up so i'm sure it'll be fine.
    i've done this, but, the distance spanning countries, and it worked.
    it'll be ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Go to uni and stay with your GF... a LDR is not undoable and with 40mins journey even with trains it can be done and if you truly love your gf as much as you say you do you'd be willing to do it. Your gf and you can both make time of the train journey to do work for either uni or college and if you both get railcards the train tickets will be cheaper. There are many ways to get round the practicalities of seeing each other... and thanks to the wonders of skype, webcams and great value mobile phone networks/contracts (O2 do free calls to other O2 mobile for example) it is easy to keep the relationship going.

Take a look at the LDR advice centre at the top of the page and check out the LDR soc (we are lovely and dont bite) theres many stories of people making LDRs work with far bigger distances and far bigger practicalities to deal with than yours and they are doing fine! Im in a LDR and its not 40 mins away (thats short distance for us) its 2 different countries and of course missing them and not being able to see them much sucks but when you do see them its amazing and it makes the other stuff worth it. If you love her and see a future with her whats a 40min train journey now and then?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.