Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

so called 'Mainstream music' Watch

ReputationRep:
    i have seen that most people on this forum dislike mainstream/top40 music.

but surely if it sells the most copies it is good, if not brilliant.

moan all you want, the figures dont lie.

Could also be an indicator that people don't know any better and only buy "mainstream" music.
    That said, I like some of the stuff and don't have a problem with all of it.

ReputationRep:
    Most of it is guff though really, in the 90s it weren't too bad, some nice stuff. But now?

The top 10 i sometimes i see, some many guff songs. The JLS new tune is quite good, but barring that, i don't like.

ReputationRep:
    Once it's reached the mainstream it has the exposure to every moron with a wallet, that's why it sells more.

ReputationRep:
    but how does it reach mainstream,

surely only sensational music deserves to be exposed so highly

and perhaps you are all just bitter that your latest indie band hasnt made the big time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hova)

and perhaps you are all just bitter that your latest indie band hasnt made the big time
    u seem to be a jigga fan judging frm ur username. his first album reasonable doubt did not have much mainstream success and is his only album not to reach number 1. Does that mean it is his worst one?

ReputationRep:
    I think Frank Zappa hits the nail on the head.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you know it's cool to not like mainstream music?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    u seem to be a jigga fan judging frm ur username. his first album reasonable doubt did not have much mainstream success and is his only album not to reach number 1. Does that mean it is his worst one?
    ive only listened to the black album

ReputationRep:
    I like some stuff in the Top 40, and also a lot of stuff not in the top 40

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hova)
    ive only listened to the black album
    then why did u have him as your screen name if you have only listened to 1 of his albums, and why did you say that reasonable doubt was the best album of the 90s in another post?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwardCurrent)
    I think Frank Zappa hits the nail on the head.

Brilliant video must say. Definitely hits the nail on the head. All you should listen to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    then why did u have him as your screen name if you have only listened to 1 of his albums, and why did you say that reasonable doubt was the best album of the 90s in another post?
    i think you need to do your research, jay z is a genius, unbelievable at what he does

so whats wrong with backing him in another argument?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hova)

FAIL

you seem to think that the media scan street trends, and expose th e new brilliant stuff that is coming up.

wrong!

the media industry creates new trends basing upon marketing researchs. they pick some random teen band (or dj, rapper, whatever you wish), pay for them great instrumentation and fantastic wardrobe, give access to best recording studios, and PUMP PUMP PUMP the hype.

it's almost impossible for such an artist NOT to become famous and sell lots. it's a masterpiece of marketing and buzz-ideation, yes.

does it mean such artists deserve such exposure? nope.
    does it mean that new scene is coming from the street? nope.
    does it mean that sound is any new or original? nope.

come on, you could make a maths formula to guess which tunes could be popular. it's nothing incredible.

the incredible thing is that teens nowadays change their taste every month, buy all this crap and believe they are "cool".

puppeeeeeeets :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I do think we have snobs on this website. Their opinion is obviously more informed and valid than those of the proletariat the peons, the chuff that makes up the rest of the world. If something sells, i don't know what conclusion you can come to other than that it's popular, and by inference good. As much as i hate crazy frog, if everyone else thinks it's good enough to buy (and it reached number 1) then it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitteleuropean)
    FAIL

you seem to think that the media scan street trends, and expose th e new brilliant stuff that is coming up.

wrong!

the media industry creates new trends basing upon marketing researchs. they pick some random teen band (or dj, rapper, whatever you wish), pay for them great instrumentation and fantastic wardrobe, give access to best recording studios, and PUMP PUMP PUMP the hype.

it's almost impossible for such an artist NOT to become famous and sell lots. it's a masterpiece of marketing and buzz-ideation, yes.

does it mean such artists deserve such exposure? nope.
    does it mean that new scene is coming from the street? nope.
    does it mean that sound is any new or original? nope.

come on, you could make a maths formula to guess which tunes could be popular. it's nothing incredible.

the incredible thing is that teens nowadays change their taste every month, buy all this crap and believe they are "cool".

puppeeeeeeets :rolleyes:
    as i said before - bitter

ReputationRep:
    I'm not one of those dicks that just raves about how they're so deep because they can see right through the top 40, the opposite, I dont mind the top 40, but I do have to say, top 10 single just = Verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus end.

ReputationRep:
    If I hear a song, and it's so irrestible I cannot help but turn the radio up, that's a good song, I'm not going to go check if it allocates me 'hip hop,' or 'pop' points, people who believe they are being different by listening to different music, really guys, really?

ReputationRep:
    Because it's catchy and people like catchy music, they also like when music isn't too complex/dumbed down.

Let me quote Immortal Technique to emphasize my point:

"if your message ain't ****/**** the records you sold/cause if you go platinum/it's got nothing to do with luck/it just means that a million people are stupid as ****"

ReputationRep:
    I listen to what I like. :indiff:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.