ReputationRep:
    Oh your ignorance is so hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linweth)
    Oh your ignorance is so hilarious.
    what does that mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hova)
    i think you need to do your research, jay z is a genius, unbelievable at what he does

so whats wrong with backing him in another argument?
    im not denying that jay-z is a great rapper. ive actually listened to more than one of his albums. i was just showing you a flaw in your argument that one of jay-z's best albums was his least 'mainstream' one

ReputationRep:
    You know, the Crazy Frog album reached number 1.

Just sayin'.

ReputationRep:
    Mainstream music is mainstream because its hyped by the companies with money. People on this forum think mainstream music in the 90s was better because that was what was playing during their childhood. Mainstream music isn't all bad, but nowadays it is easier than ever for each person to pursue their own music taste, and enjoy the music of more obscure bands. Mainstream music isn't necessarily the best music, it's the music that's been chosen for exposure by the record companies.

ReputationRep:
    Back in the day - I remember when all the bands on MySpace were becoming mainstream...

ReputationRep:
    I doubt many people dislike music "just" because it is in the charts, just that a lot of music in the charts happens to be overly simplistic and has been done a million times before... Let people like what they want, but just because lady gaga has sold ten billion copies of her album, it definitely doesn't make it intrinsically better than anything else...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hova)
    i have seen that most people on this forum dislike mainstream/top40 music.

but surely if it sells the most copies it is good, if not brilliant.

moan all you want, the figures dont lie.
    ugh, this post made me cringe and want to punch the monitor. everything I despise about the current music scene.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hova)
    i have seen that most people on this forum dislike mainstream/top40 music.

moan all you want, the figures dont lie.
    Nor do they tell some kind of truth about the quality of the music. They only prove that mainstream bands are popular, and popularity is not a reasonable criterion for measuring quality. If you try this with films, your illogic will dictate that the latest Tranformers film is better than The Godfather, Citizen Kane, 8½ and The Seventh Seal, because the revenue from its opening weekend was greater than all of them (probably all four combined). Anybody with an ounce of sense can see this is nonsense, as is the case with music, and any other art form you wish to apply it to.

Equally, I despise people who think all mainstream music is innately bad solely on virtue of its being mainstream. Any attempt to claim the mainstream is objectively 'good' or 'bad' is doomed to failure because the matter is a subjective one. What kind of critic (other than one writing for the Daily Mail) would say "this is good because some people like it"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gelliant Gutfright)
    Nor do they tell some kind of truth about the quality of the music. They only prove that mainstream bands are popular, and popularity is not a reasonable criterion for measuring quality. If you try this with films, your illogic will dictate that the latest Tranformers film is better than The Godfather, Citizen Kane, 8½ and The Seventh Seal, because the revenue from its opening weekend was greater than all of them (probably all four combined). Anybody with an ounce of sense can see this is nonsense, as is the case with music, and any other art form you wish to apply it to.

Equally, I despise people who think all mainstream music is innately bad solely on virtue of its being mainstream. Any attempt to claim the mainstream is objectively 'good' or 'bad' is doomed to failure because the matter is a subjective one. What kind of critic (other than one writing for the Daily Mail) would say "this is good because some people like it"?
    Well put .

You can hardly compare sales of a great jazz artist and a popular rock band, but it doesn't make the former worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gelliant Gutfright)

hello, we are talking about music, not our godfathers, seals or kanes.

grow up little pretentious dweeb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hova)
    hello, we are talking about music, not our godfathers, seals or kanes.

grow up little pretentious dweeb
    Irony overload!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hova)
    My god, if you truly believe that then I feel sorry for you. If you are listening to music based purely on what sells the most then you are missing out on most of the music worth listening to.

ReputationRep:
    obviously a troll thread, but I like a good amount of mainstream music

pop music now is FAR better than it was 4/5 years ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hova)
    but how does it reach mainstream,

surely only sensational music deserves to be exposed so highly

and perhaps you are all just bitter that your latest indie band hasnt made the big time
    90% of what I listen to is outside of the realm of so called Mainstream music. However, I wouldn't like it if all of these bands suddenly became popular. They're like hidden gems that take ages to find and I think that's one of the best parts of liking music, because the best stuff is often buried beneath a heap of junk. It can be frustrating to sift through but when you find a new favorite band the feeling is epic

I don't think half of those bands would like to be in the public eye for many reasons: 1] fame might not be their thing, 2] they like to live a different lifestyle, 3] they don't want their fans who they regard highly to think they are selling out and 4] they won't be the same because the money often goes to people's heads. It's a shame, but a lot of good bands have been ruined by the above, but that's the way it happens to work. In all honesty, if fans see their favorite bands hit the big time then they're more likely to feel bitter than if they didn't.

It also doesn't take a genius to figure out that half of what you hear in weekly incarnations of the chart has been done over and over again many times before, and therefore cannot be considered "sensational." The "sensational" music that you speak of isn't out there if you don't look for it. As people say, the record company takes a selection of artists who they believe can be successful in making the most money for them and turn them into their cash cows.

However - more and more bands are becoming independent from record labels (Radiohead, Madonna, NIN etc) and the more this happens, the more we'll see artists for who they really are and then we might see more actual talent at the top end of the charts rather than dressed up fabrications of what brainwashing executives refer to as 'music." I bet there's a lot of people out there who hope that time will come sooner rather than later :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    I'm not one of those dicks that just raves about how they're so deep because they can see right through the top 40, the opposite, I dont mind the top 40, but I do have to say, top 10 single just = Verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus end.
    And there are plenty of amazing songs which follow that structure and some incredibly mainstream acts that don't always follow that structure - Girls Aloud anyone?

ReputationRep:
    MEN LIE, WOMEN LIE, NUMBERS DON'T - FIGGAYADEAL?

that being said, quantity does not necessarily equate to quality, and nowhere is this more evident than in the music industry.
    the general public want catchy hooks, soft melodies and/or something that might make a club implode...
    not saying everything in the mainstream is bad, cuz it isn't, but, in the main, the demand chain leads to cheese, cheese and corn.

this is always bad.

thank you

ReputationRep:
    Most people aren't bothered by what they listen and so wont be interested in anything really remotly outsider and will most likely be completely uninterested with any music they're not made familiar with by the media.

this video explains alot:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/extra/video/p002xrqy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooljack)
    Most people aren't bothered by what they listen and so wont be interested in anything really remotly outsider and will most likely be completely uninterested with any music they're not made familiar with by the media.

this video explains alot:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/extra/video/p002xrqy
    haha good video and deffo true!

ReputationRep:
    I don't even bother listening to the chart nowdays. Music isnt what it used to be!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.