Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

so called 'Mainstream music' Watch

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. Lady Gaga makes better music than Mozart.

You sir, are a tool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluebird92)
    90% of what I listen to is outside of the realm of so called Mainstream music. However, I wouldn't like it if all of these bands suddenly became popular. They're like hidden gems that take ages to find and I think that's one of the best parts of liking music, because the best stuff is often buried beneath a heap of junk. It can be frustrating to sift through but when you find a new favorite band the feeling is epic

I don't think half of those bands would like to be in the public eye for many reasons: 1] fame might not be their thing, 2] they like to live a different lifestyle, 3] they don't want their fans who they regard highly to think they are selling out and 4] they won't be the same because the money often goes to people's heads. It's a shame, but a lot of good bands have been ruined by the above, but that's the way it happens to work. In all honesty, if fans see their favorite bands hit the big time then they're more likely to feel bitter than if they didn't.

It also doesn't take a genius to figure out that half of what you hear in weekly incarnations of the chart has been done over and over again many times before, and therefore cannot be considered "sensational." The "sensational" music that you speak of isn't out there if you don't look for it. As people say, the record company takes a selection of artists who they believe can be successful in making the most money for them and turn them into their cash cows.

However - more and more bands are becoming independent from record labels (Radiohead, Madonna, NIN etc) and the more this happens, the more we'll see artists for who they really are and then we might see more actual talent at the top end of the charts rather than dressed up fabrications of what brainwashing executives refer to as 'music." I bet there's a lot of people out there who hope that time will come sooner rather than later :yes:
    You are referring to listening to the non-mainstream music and also telling about Radiohead, Madonna and NIN. Do you think they don't belong to mainstream ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike Borozdin)
    You are referring to listening to the non-mainstream music and also telling about Radiohead, Madonna and NIN. Do you think they don't belong to mainstream ?
    You obviously missed the part, that said "becoming independent of their labels"(which, as he said, means more talent will surface) in his post.

ReputationRep:
    I was using them as examples of artists who have gone down the path of releasing their records independently. Of course they can be classified as "mainstream" and that term definitely applies for Madonna more prominently from those three. I just hope more "mainstream" bands follow their lead and do the same, and then we will get rid of the tag "mainstream" because music will be what it is, rather than promoted by record companies. I could name a thousand bands that aren't "mainstream" who do the same, but :yes: those are the best examples to use.

I only think this is all an issue because is people were able to choose what they listen to rather than have it predetermined for them half the time with what comes on the radio, music channels and consequently the top 40 (although by no means is everything in there a total waste of space) then music would be a lot more rewarding. If record companies went bust, then we wouldn't have to put up with the parasitic elements that they put into place to make money and instead - the whole industry would be reinvigorated and the dynamics of it all would be a lot more fair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluebird92)

I only think this is all an issue because is people were able to choose what they listen to rather than have it predetermined for them half the time with what comes on the radio, music channels and consequently the top 40 (although by no means is everything in there a total waste of space) then music would be a lot more rewarding. If record companies went bust, then we wouldn't have to put up with the parasitic elements that they put into place to make money and instead - the whole industry would be reinvigorated and the dynamics of it all would be a lot more fair
    Well, but I still doubt that the majority of people would be able to choose what to listen. Providing they listen to some popular radio stations and so on, now what if those stations are gone or at least are not backed by powerful recording companies? What would those poor people listen to ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitteleuropean)
    FAIL

you seem to think that the media scan street trends, and expose th e new brilliant stuff that is coming up.

wrong!

the media industry creates new trends basing upon marketing researchs. they pick some random teen band (or dj, rapper, whatever you wish), pay for them great instrumentation and fantastic wardrobe, give access to best recording studios, and PUMP PUMP PUMP the hype.

it's almost impossible for such an artist NOT to become famous and sell lots. it's a masterpiece of marketing and buzz-ideation, yes.

does it mean such artists deserve such exposure? nope.
    does it mean that new scene is coming from the street? nope.
    does it mean that sound is any new or original? nope.

come on, you could make a maths formula to guess which tunes could be popular. it's nothing incredible.

the incredible thing is that teens nowadays change their taste every month, buy all this crap and believe they are "cool".

puppeeeeeeets :rolleyes:
    Teens have ALWAYS been like this! How the hell do you think the likes of Supertramp ever became famous and popular? Awful Band.

Although I do agree with you, if enough media institutions say a particular band/song is 'cool', then most people will buy it even if it's complete crud!

That said, I do like a lot of mainstream music as well as other indie-ish bits and bobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hova)
    i have seen that most people on this forum dislike mainstream/top40 music.

but surely if it sells the most copies it is good, if not brilliant.

moan all you want, the figures dont lie.
    Take a good, hard look at the majority of people.

Might be enough to tell you that what's popular isn't necessarily what's decent.

ReputationRep:
    Well, but I still doubt that the majority of people would be able to choose what to listen. Providing they listen to some popular radio stations and so on, now what if those stations are gone or at least are not backed by powerful recording companies? What would those poor people listen to ?
    That's a really interesting question to ask! I'd think that if some of the stations do end up going off our airwaves due to a lack of funding (if those particular stations worked that way) then people would obviously search elsewhere to find the next best thing. The radio stations that survive, however - now that would be intriguing. Stations have their own set of DJ's and each DJ has their own favourite songs, own ideas on what people might like and so on and so forth. Perhaps our stations would benefit from a more personal approach to radio broadcasts?

You've got stations like BBC Radio 1-5 and all of the other channels that the BBC operates, such as Five Live and whatever else they've got on. Let's take a popular radio personality, someone like Chris Moyles or Zane Lowe, from that network. They've got their own unique approach, but imagine if they had no restrictions whatsoever on what they could play on their shows? I think it would give them more freedom to do what they want, and it might even attract more listeners.

[note: if they don't have restrictions already, then ignore that part!]

Obviously, BBC would no way go off air whatever happened because their stations are obviously too popular and, more than likely, they've got plenty of funding from elsewhere. If you take a local radio station that did depend on record companies to fund them, then I'm sure there would be other ways for them to continue! It might involve some hard work, though. I might be getting a bit lost in the whole concept of doing away with record labels, but there are many out there who'd support it!

In general, it would indeed be very difficult for it to work. There's absolutely no denying it. But look at the case of a band called 16 Volt. They had a promising career in the pipeline, and in 1998, they planned to release an album with a lead single, radio airplay and video - they hadn't been able to do any of this before. However, their record label funded too much of their time and money into other bands, and all of their promise went down the drain as they released their record with no promotion. And that label went bust shortly after.

They recovered nine years down the line and released an album in 2007 on an indie label where they have more freedom, and have another release planned for this September. The future generally looks much brighter for them, but looking back at this it might suggest that surviving as an artist in the music industry is based substantially on luck - if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, you're screwed. Likewise, if a major label spot what they constitute as a chance to make some £££, you're set for life!

Now after going through all that I'm not too sure anymore! It seems that we're damned with record companies, but we're also damned without them as well. If there are enough people who are willing to make sacrifices to change the way music as an industry is run, though, it may be possible to survive, but from whatever angle we look at it, it's a difficult task.

[sorry for the essay, all of that was written out of my train of thought!]

ReputationRep:
    People are stupid.

The Nazis were popular doesn't make them good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.