Turn on thread page Beta

Immigration watch

• View Poll Results: What is the right level of NET immigration for Britain?
    Bring in as many as possible!
    30.16%
    More than 250,000
    0%
    250,000 (the current level)
    7.94%
    6.35%
    50,000 (to stop the population reaching 70 million)
    19.05%
    0 (one in, one out)
    19.05%
    No immigration at all
    17.46%

ReputationRep:
    Considering the fact that if current levels of immigration are maintained (around 250,000 net immigration a year) that the population of the UK will rise to 70 million by 2028 from it's current number of 61 million, what do you think the ideal level of net immigration to Britain is?

To stop the population rising to 70 million, net immigration needs to be cut from 250,000 per year to around 50,000.

To stabilise the population at 65 million we need a 100% reduction so that immigration is equal to emigration. This doesn't mean no immigration but that the amount of people entering the country shall be equal to the amount leaving.

Recent polls show that 81% of Brits are worried about the prospect of a population of 70 million.

76% of Brits want to see net immigration reduced to 50,000. 32% of those want to see no net immigration and 22% want to see no immigration at all.

So I will ask again, what do think the ideal level of net immigration is? Do you agree with the vast majority of Brits that there needs to be vast reduction in immigration?

P.S. "Net immigration" is the number of immigrants minus the number of emigrants.

ReputationRep:
    Immigration is good :yep: . Just not too much.

ReputationRep:
    You should consider that many immigrants end up going back to where they came from. So for example when you look at the amount of Poles who came over a couple of years back, it doesn't necessarily reflect a permanent increase in our population.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see the skilled workers leaving the UK replaced by skilled workers entering the UK.

That is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    Considering the fact that if current levels of immigration are maintained Immigration figures can't be taken as maths - simply because immigrants don't come to the UK in a flow, indefinitely. They will stop at a certain point, the waves of people are self-regulatory. I'm sorry, but if you imagine that immigrants are flooding the country at a constant rate over time, you're not being realistic. (around 250,000 net immigration a year) that the population of the UK will rise to 70 million by 2028 from it's current number of 61 million, what do you think the ideal level of net immigration to Britain is?

To stop the population rising to 70 million, net immigration needs to be cut from 250,000 per year to around 50,000.

To stabilise the population at 65 million we need a 100% reduction so that immigration is equal to emigration. This doesn't no immigration but that the amount of people entering the country shall be equal to the amount leaving.

Recent polls show that 81% of Brits are worried about the prospect of a population of 70 million.

76% of Brits want to see net immigration reduced to 50,000. 32% of those want to see no net immigration and 22% want to see no immigration at all.

So I will ask again, what do think the ideal level of net immigration is? Do you agree with the vast majority of Brits that there needs to be vast reduction in immigration?

P.S. "Net immigration" is the number of immigrants minus the number of emigrants.
    Edit in the post above. By the way, the exaplanation for "self-regulatory population" is that the economy can only support a certain amount of people: those who can't find jobs and find it difficult to keep up with the high quality of life here (by quality I'm referring to the high price and quality of products) will move to poorer countries which will employ them and offer them lower quality products at a lower price.

So all this immigration dystopia is simply not true.

Bad poll - this isn't an issue that requires an arbitrary figure. The demands and pressures of society constantly change and we need to adapt to those changes as and when they happen.

What I support is a points based system whereby we can assess those who wish to enter the country based on criteria such as what skills they have. That way we can let more people in when there is room for them and they would help our economy but conversely we could limit immigration more when there are housing shortages, enough workers, and strains on public servises.

That system is adaptable and effecient, and far better in my opinion that saying "it should be 50,000 - no, it should be 100,000" ...

ReputationRep:
    Sink the boats :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    Bad poll - this isn't an issue that requires an arbitrary figure. The demands and pressures of society constantly change and we need to adapt to those changes as and when they happen.

What I support is a points based system whereby we can assess those who wish to enter the country based on criteria such as what skills they have. That way we can let more people in when there is room for them and they would help our economy but conversely we could limit immigration more when there are housing shortages, enough workers, and strains on public servises.

That system is adaptable and effecient, and far better in my opinion that saying "it should be 50,000 - no, it should be 100,000" ...
    Both Labour and the Tories have proposed differing points systems.

Under Labour’s policies, immigration would fall by 8% - a fall of just 20,000 to 217,000. This is their own claim based on what would have happened if their so - called “tough” Points Based System been in place last year.

Under Conservative policies, immigration would fall by 27% - from 237,000 to 172,000.

Neither of the plans would satisfy the 83% of Brits who want net immigration of 100,000 or less per year.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of fool would vote for the first option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    i did, thank youu.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yourfaceisfunny)
    i did, thank youu.
    So, you would be happy if millions or even billions of people flooded into Britain?

ReputationRep:
    So, you would be happy if millions or even billions of people flooded into Britain?
    Yes, I can see billions of people flooding into Britain. Totally.

ReputationRep:
    If it sounds unpragmatic, there's probably a lefty involved. Not forgetting their public sector non jobs are prohibited to foreigners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Yes, I can see billions of people flooding into Britain. Totally.
    Funny.

ReputationRep:

The kind of fool who would want to undermine such a foolish poll.

ReputationRep:
    I voted 250,000. I would choose around 175 though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Immigration is good :yep: . Just not too much.
    What is too much?

ReputationRep:
    An idiot who doesn't see the effects of uncontrolled migration.

Or somebody just taking the piss.

ReputationRep:
    Woo! Open borders! ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    If it sounds unpragmatic, there's probably a lefty involved.
    Ah, right wing bias against the left, how refreshingly typical. Not to mention the fact that aside from the Conservative Party IRL, right wingers are plenty capable of rampant ideologism too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.