Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Immigration Watch

• View Poll Results: What is the right level of NET immigration for Britain?
    Bring in as many as possible!
    30.16%
    More than 250,000
    0%
    250,000 (the current level)
    7.94%
    6.35%
    50,000 (to stop the population reaching 70 million)
    19.05%
    0 (one in, one out)
    19.05%
    No immigration at all
    17.46%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    I'd like to see the skilled workers leaving the UK replaced by skilled workers entering the UK.

That is all.
    Or for every skilled worker leaving this country we train one of the unskilled workers doing nothing in this country :p:
    It's time we train what we have than just not caring about the social problems of immigration and not putting money into training our own workforce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Ah, right wing bias against the left, how refreshingly typical. Not to mention the fact that aside from the Conservative Party IRL, right wingers are plenty capable of rampant ideologism too.
    I'm a pragmatist. From my experience, people on the left let ideals get in the way of rationality/pragmatism all too much. The right tend to be more realistic (i.e. recognising the concept of incentives....)

ReputationRep:
    The first option. It doesn't bother me what nationalities I live beside.

The first option - free borders aren't actually a problem to me - So I agree with 35mm
    Besides, if people thought it such a problem, then they would stop the hundreds of thousands of Britons emigrating out of the UK. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Oh look, it's this thread again.

Inb4 the words "Liberal elite", "Marxist agenda", "Liberal buzzwords" are used

ReputationRep:
    Do people not realise that the first option would literally mean starvation, road deadlock, suffocating pollution, poverty and superfluous homelessness within the next few decades? You have to be mentally deranged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    Do people not realise that the first option would literally mean starvation, road deadlock, suffocating pollution and superfluous homelessness within the next few decades? You have to be mentally deranged.
    Did you just ignore the aspect of net outflow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Did you just ignore the aspect of net outflow?
    If we let everyone in who wanted to come, net outflow would be overshadowed astronomically.

ReputationRep:
    SINK THE FRIGGIN BOATS!!!!!!!

Seriously, if you want to see the effects of uncontrolled immigration, ask the American Indians!

ReputationRep:
    If we let everyone in who wanted to come, net outflow would be overshadowed astronomically.
    "As many as possible" suggests those who are legally able to come into Britain. At the moment we are fine we the levels of immigration, I dare say more wouldn't hurt.

And no, probably not to the extent you think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    "As many as possible" suggests those who are legally able to come into Britain. At the moment we are fine we the levels of immigration, I dare say more wouldn't hurt.

And no, probably not to the extent you think.
    What? "As many as possible" has absolutely no regard for legal or illegal immigrants, considering that all illegals are those who've been refused right to entry. At the moment we are suffering under the levels of immigration. Let me guess, you live in an all white area? :yes: Maybe you'd like to take a trip to Lozells, Tower Hamlets or Brixton to see the "fine" levels of immigration. You're talking utter nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    What? "As many as possible" has absolutely no regard for legal or illegal immigrants, considering that all illegals are those who've been refused right to entry. At the moment we are suffering under the levels of immigration. Let me guess, you live in an all white area? :yes: Maybe you'd like to take a trip to Lozells, Tower Hamlets or Brixton to see the "fine" levels of immigration. You're talking utter nonsense.
    Nope, not at all. I live in an area which is highly populated with ethnic minorities. Do I care? No. Do I welcome it? Yes.

The only people who are suffering are fools like yourself who dislike the idea of living next to anybody of a different nationality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Nope, not at all. I live in an area which is highly populated with ethnic minorities. Do I care? No. Do I welcome it? Yes.

The only people who are suffering are fools like yourself who dislike the idea of living next to anybody of a different nationality.
    Since when did I say it was a problem of living next to anybody of a different nationality? LOL. I present the epitome of short-sightedness and one who has evidently never contemplated population-resource balance.

ReputationRep:
    Since when did I say it was a problem of living next to anybody of a different nationality? LOL. I present the epitome of short-sightedness and one who has evidently never contemplated population-resource balance.
    Ah, I don't actually wish to get into another immigration debate with you which gradually disintegrates into mild racism under the veil of "preserving British culture" and "population resources".

I'll leave you to your thoughts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Ah, I don't actually wish to get into another immigration debate with you which gradually disintegrates into mild racism under the veil of "preserving British culture" and "population resources".

I'll leave you to your thoughts
    So you're literally willing to see mass ghettoization, riots, starvation, congestion, poverty, pollution, and homelessness, just for a stupid ideal? :loony:

ReputationRep:
    So you're literally willing to see mass ghettoization, riots, starvation, congestion, poverty, pollution, and homelessness, just for a stupid ideal? :loony:
    Mass ghettoization is the fault of the government. More emphasis needs to be put upon integration, equal opportunities and economic stability so that new immigrants don't feel the need to buy property in distinct areas of cities which are, unsurprisingly, a lot cheaper than those in affluent areas.

Are you suggesting there will be riots on the scale of those witnessed in America?

Starvation? Who will starve? You need to be more specific, rather than just listing trigger words.

Congestion has been around long before mass immigration. So too was homelessness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Mass ghettoization is the fault of the government. More emphasis needs to be put upon integration, equal opportunities and economic stability so that new immigrants don't feel the need to buy property in distinct areas of cities which are, unsurprisingly, a lot cheaper than those in affluent areas.
    The ghettoes exist; simple as that. Cities and towns are divided. Where's a new immigrant with no money going to go? It's not solely the fault of the government either. It works both ways. If communities intended to integrate then they'd invite outside businesses to contribute to the local economy. But then these businesses wouldn't want to set up in these areas, for the sole reason that difference entails seperateness. You can provide me with all your silly little anecdotes all you like, but, as long as they remain that, you will simply be the exception to the rule.

(Original post by 35mm_)
    Are you suggesting there will be riots on the scale of those witnessed in America?
    Potentially.

(Original post by 35mm_)
    Starvation? Who will starve? You need to be more specific, rather than just listing trigger words.
    It's not just a trigger word. It's of great importance. An abundance of people puts strain on both logistics and production.

(Original post by 35mm_)
    Congestion has been around long before mass immigration. So too was homelessness.
    Okay...more congestion and homelessness.

ReputationRep:
    The ghettoes exist; simple as that. Cities and towns are divided. Where's a new immigrant with no money going to go? It's not solely the fault of the government either. It works both ways. If communities intended to integrate then they'd invite outside businesses to contribute to the local economy. But then these businesses wouldn't want to set up in these areas, for the sole reason that difference entails seperateness. You can provide me with all your silly little anecdotes all you like, but, as long as they remain that, you will simply be the exception to the rule.

Potentially.

It's not just a trigger word. It's of great importance. An abundance of people puts strain on both logistics and production.

Okay...more congestion and homelessness.
    Well if it isn't my friend necessarily ben elton

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)

We all know integration doesn't work. As a concept, it is fine.

We may have many ethnic minorities within the UK but the actual levels of integration taken place is pitiful. It isn't integration when we have areas that are 99+% white (like my city) and other areas where all the ethnic minorities have congregated and completely changed the dynamics (for better or worse) of that city.

Sounds more like segregation to me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    Edit in the post above. By the way, the exaplanation for "self-regulatory population" is that the economy can only support a certain amount of people: those who can't find jobs and find it difficult to keep up with the high quality of life here (by quality I'm referring to the high price and quality of products) will move to poorer countries which will employ them and offer them lower quality products at a lower price.

So all this immigration dystopia is simply not true.
    If you bring in immigrants who work for less, the economy gets stronger as a result and more jobs are created, meaning those people who couldn't get the job in the first place now have more opportunities. Immigration does not lessen job opportunities, it increases them.

The problem with immigration in the UK is not the economy, it's simply over-crowdedness. We're not a big island, and I'm sure nobody on it wants it to end up like Japan.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.