Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

My trade training will be at No1 Radio school at RAF Cosford near Wolverhampton, and it lasts for 12 months, which seems a long time compared to other trades.

Why, what trade have you applied for? IT tech too?

ReputationRep:
    -WLY looks like your doing the same trade as me at same time!

Where bouts in UK you from?

J

ReputationRep:
    Near Oxfordshire:woo:

ReputationRep:
    hi guys, i've been in the RAF for only 2 years now so i'm still fairly new. i'm an AMM at RAF Marham on the mighty Tornado. still need to return back to cosford for my fitters course which is 15 months...great i've noticed some of you are joining as an AMM also so if you have any questions that concern you i'll try to answer them best i can. also if there are any questions about halton you want to ask il try to answer them aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wly)
    Hi

My trade training will be at No1 Radio school at RAF Cosford near Wolverhampton, and it lasts for 12 months, which seems a long time compared to other trades.
    12 months is a while, but once thats done you don't have to return to cosford. for the people who joined up as an AMM will do a 6 months at cosford, get posted to a Squadron for 18 months then return back to cosford for 12+ months for their fitters course. returning back to a training enviroment after Sqn life will be hellish!

ReputationRep:
    No not IT tech for me, im joining as Pers Support. 12months is quite a while and Cosford isnt the most exciting base! but at least its not too far from Oxfordshire. My trade training is in Portsmouth at a defence school for 4 months

ReputationRep:
    Hi tony. Yea i've got a couple of questions. When you finish the 6 months trainning at cosford, do you get to chose what base you would like to go to or do they make that decision for you? and also at halton, whats the fitness training like? do you go for jogs every day or do you get rest days? Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Ive been to cosford before to look around the museum, but at the time I didn't know all the training facilities existed. But Portsmouth seems alright though.

Dan 8

(Original post by dan8)
    do you get to chose what base you would like to go to or do they make that decision for you?

- From what I've heard, in the last few weeks of your trade training you fill in a dreamsheet of where you would like to go and do on your first tours, and this gets taken into account when "they" decide where you go. TONY - I have read this on a form the AFCO gave me, please add to this. And thanks for the info, good luck for the fitters course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan8)
    Hi tony. Yea i've got a couple of questions. When you finish the 6 months trainning at cosford, do you get to chose what base you would like to go to or do they make that decision for you? and also at halton, whats the fitness training like? do you go for jogs every day or do you get rest days? Thanks in advance!
    Around halfway through the course you are given a dream sheet to fill out, it consists of 3 positive and 2 negative postings. You get some time to think about where you would like to go and where you wouldn't want to go before it has to be handed in. About a month untill the end of the course you will be told which posting you have been given. postings depend on how many people of your trade that station needs so don't be suprised if you don't end up where you wanted.
    You will be looking at going on runs around once or twice a week depending on what the PTIs have planned for your flight. you will also be doing circuits and swimming while you are there. When i went through halton i was doing PEd 3 times a week, however with the course being changed you will be doing it everyday but for shorter periods. during your time you will also have to do the fitness test so they know you are putting in the effort and improving, it will consist of a 9.10 score on the bleep test, 35 RAF situps and 20 press ups....Easy as pie but i've heard this may be changing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wly)
    From what I've heard, in the last few weeks of your trade training you fill in a dreamsheet of where you would like to go and do on your first tours, and this gets taken into account when "they" decide where you go. TONY - I have read this on a form the AFCO gave me, please add to this. And thanks for the info, good luck for the fitters course
    Alot of people spend alot of time thinking about where they want to go and get there hopes up only to be disappointed, when it comes to your time treat it as a dream sheet and don't expect to get that posting you wanted, it all depends on if the station needs places to be filled so if you did put down lyneham and they need new AMMs you'd get that posting.

Thanks wly

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks alot for that. I think RAF Leuchars is gana be top of my list

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan8)
    Ok thanks alot for that. I think RAF Leuchars is gana be top of my list
    A few of my friends are at leuchars, The Tornado F3 is gettin scrapped so by the time it comes to your posting the Typhoon should be there i'd love to work on them!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Tony- just noticed your based at RAF Marham, i did some work experience a few years at RAF Marham with the mechanics working on a Tornado. Only because my Uncle worked there in Airframes and i had a crazy idea of being the same (now ive chosen a more suitable one for me Pers support- being only 5ft 2 :-D ) anway i jst thought id ask if a few ppl were still there and if you knew them ( i know theres a lot of people)Shed, Jimbo, Nemo? The other names have slipped my mind now ive wrote this. I also experienced the night life of kings lynn lol! Dr P's is it? x

ReputationRep:
    Its good stuff aint it did you enjoy it? Shed is still at marham, not to sure about the others tho. you must of been at 13 Sqn? well kings lynn....bet you wont wanna go there on a night out again lol n it's Dr Thirstys i try to make the best of that place but it is the sh*test place ever lol.

ReputationRep:
    yes it was 13 sqn! yea it was a good laugh! i cant say i will be rushing back! especially with 13 raf lads dragging you around kings lynn! There was a night club opening at the time i think it was there biggest one; although i cant say it was much of a club more like a bar up some stairs. i even visited your bop! LMAO

ReputationRep:
    Typhoons at Leuchars by the time he gets his posting......hmmm.....not sure about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbro12)
    Typhoons at Leuchars by the time he gets his posting......hmmm.....not sure about that.
    okay maybe thats too soon, they can't keep the F3s in much longer now tho there starting to scrap some of them now, Harriers out date has been moved to around 2018, as Roles Royce has been given a 10 year contract for new Engines for the GR9. hopefully the lightening ll ( or JSF, F-35, what ever they want to call it) will be in service then! Tornado GR4 is around 2025. This is what i've been told, everyone hears different tho.

ReputationRep:
    well i don't mine working on the F3s but the Typhoons would be awsome!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Tony im going in as an amm and i have one question to ask? Do you rate the trade? Im only asking this because on lots of forums i have read they say its not that great and these days you dont learn as much skills as you did many years ago!

Im hoping you can tell me this is false

Cant wait to start now roll on march!!!

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it can be boring and sometimes fun, there can be days where you will be rushed off your feet and others where you find your self sat in the tea bar most of the day. with the what you learn is all up to you and how much trade you help out with. If your lazy and choose to just sit in the tea bar when you know you haven't got anything on you won't learn anything, if you offer to help out in trade you will gain a better understanding and you will learn or better your skills. your only an AMM for 18 months and it's really to gain experience and know that bit more about aircraft and the trade which you will become. you will enjoy it, i love being a liney on tornados it is easy but you get to go on many detachments. theres nothing better than trying to service a jet in 50 degrees heat in the middle of a sand storm lol.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.