Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by miss RAF to be)
    i think you need to loose the attitude before you go in the RAF- life will be easier for you!
    Ahem:

Once you finish basic training you can have your hair a little longer as long as it doesnt touch your collar.
    Best you don't advise people on Dress Regs before you get more familiar with them.

Boys:
    "The hair of the head is to be well cut and trimmed. Sideburns are to be short and well trimmed and are not to extend below a line running through the mid point of the ear. Extreme styles of haircuts and colouring are not permitted. If the hair is dyed or highlighted, the colour chosen is to be natural and in a uniform shade appropriate to the individual."

Girls:
    "Female personnel are to arrange their hair in a manner that permits Service Dress cap to be worn correctly; hair is not to show under the front or peak of the cap and the style is to be kept neat and no longer than the bottom edge of the collar at the back of the Service jacket."

In all cases, the commanding officer shall be the arbiter upon what is or not an acceptable style or length of cut.

ReputationRep:
    i do know the dress regs, but i didnt feel the need to elaborate them as he will be taught all that when he is there.

ReputationRep:
    There's abit of a difference between prostacker's quoted hair regs and your miss RAF if you don't mind me saying! In fact I think you made yours up completely.

If your attitude comment was aimed at me, there was no attitude, at least I didn't intend there to be. I was merely putting my point across. Attitude?! WTF?!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i do know the dress regs, but i didnt feel the need to elaborate them as he will be taught all that when he is there.
    Suggest you learn the interpretation of regulations as well. I've never seen a male in the RAF be permitted to have hair down to the collar - which is what you advised.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt intend this to turn into an argument, i apologise if i have got peoples backs up! Maybe my comments where too brief when i said as long as your hair isnt touching your collar- by that i meant the hair on the back of the neck, not so you can wear your hair in a bob- inwas trying to reassure him he doesnt need to have a skin head for the rest of his RAF career!so i didnt make mine up because i didnt quote the regs i just briefly commented.

The attitude i felt came from the sexiest comment saying girls just simply cant do the jobs and its not discrimination- i bet there is girls out there given the chance that would be better than SOME lads.

like i said i didnt intend for an argument! Sorry

ReputationRep:
    can't believe people are coming to an arguement about hair. men will get a number 2 (you're not allowed to get any shorter) all over when you start halton, necks will need to be shaved and sideburns not below mid part of the ear. you may think you look like a tw*t but you get use to it. through trade training you can grow your hair a little but it still needs to be smart! long hair on men looks very untidy and gash! when you finally get onto a station there not as strict on hair as in training but theres is still a standard that needs to be kept, if you let it get too long then you will end up getting questioned about it.

miss RAF to be - women can do there jobs just as good as men, but yet again jus like some lads theres sh*t ones!. anyway take no notice of sexiest comments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wly)
    The reason for this being that the RAF hair stylists (you know what I mean) could shave it all off on the first day to the style that's appropriate.
    RAF hair stylists lol! after they've cut your hair you wouldn't want them to do it again! i found i could do a better job shavin my head than they can! waste of £3 lol

ReputationRep:
    chris-mac,

i passed my aptitude,interview,medical and PJFT back in july and they told me exactly the same thing they have told you.
    they told me i am on a reserve list and probably wont be going anywhere until april 2010. its annoying because nothing is in writing its all word of mouth from the AFCO, so im pretty confused about the whole ordeal .

ReputationRep:
    JibbleBOjangles, I rang my AFCO on wednesday and I got told that it is 90% sure that by this time next month I will have my date, the reason being is that there putting the lists together to send people out next year, I think he called it a 'Manplan' or something like that, we will be told very soon about when we are going to Halton, so we will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    i got my dates! start basic training on 3rd march!

ReputationRep:
    i passed my medical late july and mid august i recieved my dates for halton, i have my 2 days on the 14th january and i start on the 17th march
    i am really excited but quite nervous! going to be very wierd!

ReputationRep:
    I'll see you there then

To be honest I can't flucking wait!!!

ReputationRep:
    hey i passed all my tests and stuff i been told my start date is looking round april 2010, however they can not give me a date as of yet, im going in as a AMM (avionics) if anyone knows any info about if the dates have been moved fwd or bk i would b most grateful

ReputationRep:
    i applied june 09 an i still aint been given a date been told around april 2010 but that aint defo which is slightly annoyin

ReputationRep:
    On the hair front you can grow it as long as its neat and hair doesnt go over the ears , they also get funny over neck hair .

On The whole AMM front look forward to a long time on hold once you finish phase 1 training , I finish my amm course in a month and i still dont know where im posted to , theres a possibility ill be put on hold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom t)
    I finish my amm course in a month and i still dont know where im posted to , theres a possibility ill be put on hold
    What have you put on your dreamsheet?

How do you mean, "put on hold" does that mean you will be hanging around waiting for your first tour?

ReputationRep:
    ash3682....im in the same boat as you at the moment started my application april done my ast may - was told avionics was closed. got a phone call august done my interview and finally passed my medical/pjft august/september.

now its just a waiting game for dates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom t)
    On the hair front you can grow it as long as its neat and hair doesnt go over the ears , they also get funny over neck hair .

On The whole AMM front look forward to a long time on hold once you finish phase 1 training , I finish my amm course in a month and i still dont know where im posted to , theres a possibility ill be put on hold
    chances are it'll be marham, we've been getting alot of new AMMs lately due to the Tornados being on ops in Afghan.

ReputationRep:
    I passed my AST on the 6th of august, had my interview booked for early sept then 3 days before the interview I recieved a call from the AFCO saying my interview has been postponed and I'm still waiting for it to be re-sceduled :confused:
    is there anybody else in the same boat as me??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilli13)
    I passed my AST on the 6th of august, had my interview booked for early sept then 3 days before the interview I recieved a call from the AFCO saying my interview has been postponed and I'm still waiting for it to be re-sceduled :confused:
    is there anybody else in the same boat as me??
    What trade is that for?, the reason it has been postponed is because the trade had been closed at the time and most probably still is.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.