Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viper sniper uk)
    Has anyone got prtc on the 17th dec and what exactly do u do at prtc ? and does anyone no wen u you do ure final interview tar
    PRTC is a course run to enable the candidate to take the RAF Fitness Test. If they succesfully pass the Fitness Test they will then be issued a pair of boots to break in, and be given a series of briefs on what they can expect, should they be successful on their final interview. One of the objectives of the course is to dispel any rumour, myth and aprehension the candidate may have.

ReputationRep:
    What is the fitness level you have to be to pass prtc??? Beep test, press ups etc?????

ReputationRep:
    Inch high DI.... Does DI stand for drill instructor? you say your location is Halton... Are you going to be the guy cracking the whip??? Just a thought.

Anyway I've now got dates for my final interview.

Yes, like what bbm123 said, what is the test. I heard that if you fail you start training two weeks earlier, is this true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wly)
    Inch high DI.... Does DI stand for drill instructor? you say your location is Halton... Are you going to be the guy cracking the whip??? Just a thought.

Anyway I've now got dates for my final interview.

Yes, like what bbm123 said, what is the test. I heard that if you fail you start training two weeks earlier, is this true?
    Ok, with effect from 14/15 Jan then the RAF Fitness Test is pass or fail, if you fail you may not be able to re apply for 6 months. Current standards are 8.6 for males and 6.1 for females on your shuttle runs, and 4 or 2 Press ups and 7 or 6 sit ups respectively. The RAF Fitness Test is alot different from the PJFT, all I can suggest is that you work hard on your running, looking to beat your time each time you go out running. You should be running a minimum of 4 times a week. And work on your sit ups and press ups during advert breaks on TV for example. Only you can pass your fitness test, and fitness is the key to succesfully completeing both PRTC and Recruit Training. I hope this helps you in your preparation and if you wish to cut and paste this into the forum, please feel free. See you on PRTC. Good luck with your training, and dont over do it over xmas

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that, I think I will go for a run right away!

However

(Original post by Inch High DI)
    4 or 2 Press ups and 7 or 6 sit ups respectively.
    This does not seem very much, I did 12 or so press ups within the min at the pjft. I must be misunderstanding something.

Thanks again for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure its 8.6 on the shuttle runs?? I had the impression it was 9.10. I did beep test today and got 10.2 so hopefully should be ok.

Im with you WLY 4 0r 2 pressups does seem very low. Most ppl do this when trying to get up in the morning...lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbm123)
    Are you sure its 8.6 on the shuttle runs?? I had the impression it was 9.10. I did beep test today and got 10.2 so hopefully should be ok.

Im with you WLY 4 0r 2 pressups does seem very low. Most ppl do this when trying to get up in the morning...lol

Remember the new fitness test standards do not come into affect until 14/15 Jan 2010. Yes the press ups and sit ups do look easy, but you must complete them in the correct form which will displayed to you by the Physical Training Staff

ReputationRep:
    hey all, Ive also got my Pre RTC on Jan 14th/15th and have to say i cant wait, i read and heard alot about what to expect especually running which i think ill be ok with and the press ups and what have you, but ill definatly keep training! So is it for a definate that its a pass or fail thing? Because if thats the case why have a fitness test to start with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thwaites09)
    hey all, Ive also got my Pre RTC on Jan 14th/15th and have to say i cant wait, i read and heard alot about what to expect especually running which i think ill be ok with and the press ups and what have you, but ill definatly keep training! So is it for a definate that its a pass or fail thing? Because if thats the case why have a fitness test to start with?

Ok for those who dont understand English. With effect from 14/15 Jan 2010, fitness is pass or fail. Ok hope that has made it clear for you. The reason why it is at the start, is so that we can brief the failures on personal training programmes etc and then release them first thing on Friday morning, as there will be no point in giving them boots or the rest of the briefs.

ReputationRep:
    ok well sorry to bother you :confused: but still the bleep test does still sound rather easy to me, the 1.5mile run sounds harder, everyone should be able to make at least 10 on the bleep test and do the run in under 11 mins.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    everyone should be able to make at least 10 on the bleep test and do the run in under 11 mins.
    Well there you go. Good for you.

ReputationRep:
    ok well sorry to bother you :confused: but still the bleep test does still sound rather easy to me, the 1.5mile run sounds harder, everyone should be able to make at least 10 on the bleep test and do the run in under 11 mins.

If your fit, the bleep test is easy.....we will see just how fit you are on Thursday 14 Jan at 1300, come and say hi, you will recognise me....I will be the one with the big hat, shiney boots, pace stick and you can call me Sgt!

ReputationRep:
    8.6 and 4 pressups, that is pretty laughable. I had to do more than that on the PJFT, why the lowering of the standard

ReputationRep:
    10,release them first thing on Friday morning, as there will be no point in giving them boots or the rest of the briefs.
    Ahhhh I see now, then I assume after the failures have been released then they burgger off for 6 months and come back when they're fitter. Man I would hate to be in this boat.

And come on....You MUST have to do more than 4 press ups to pass, I pictured you had to do 20, like what you do on the RAFFT.

ReputationRep:
    If your fit, the bleep test is easy.....we will see just how fit you are on Thursday 14 Jan at 1300, come and say hi, you will recognise me....I will be the one with the big hat, shiney boots, pace stick and you can call me Sgt!

Im sorry i didnt mean to sound rude or anything, im looking forward to it im always up for a challenge ie the bleep test, its always a great feeling after when your lungs are busting, well im looking foward to seeing you sir.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    seeing you sir.
    THAT right there will get you friends!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wly)
    Ahhhh I see now, then I assume after the failures have been released then they burgger off for 6 months and come back when they're fitter. Man I would hate to be in this boat.

And come on....You MUST have to do more than 4 press ups to pass, I pictured you had to do 20, like what you do on the RAFFT.

The Fitness test on PRTC is only 80% of shuttle runs 20% of press ups and sit ups. It is not the full RAFT. The idea of the PRTC fitness test is to assess if you have the basic fitness to commence RAF Recruit Training. If you succesfully achieve the standards and you pass your final interview then you may be given an offer of service.
    I hope this clarifies this issue of the PRTC Fitness test. And I agree, you dont want to be in the situation of failing and possibly having to re-start your entire recruitment process, especially when on average you have beaten 10 other people to this point so far. Surely its worth putting in the work to ensure you get to the final interview, pass that and get to Recruit training and start what could be a 30+ year career.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for clarification inch high DI. Unfortunately I won't be at R.A.F Halton anytime soon.still waiting on prtc/rts dates. For all those saying it should be easy to pass yeah I agree but just remeber these have to be 4 perfect pressups and 7 perfect situps. I have to admit when I do mine a lot of the time both can be very poor attempts. I'm hoping people who see the prtc pass marks now don't go aaa easy I can do that - I can stop training! Anyway good luck to all at whatever stage your at.
    Eek time to say it
    Merry xmas n have a good new year
    Steven

P.s Inch HIgh DI do you have any ideas when the 2010/2011 manplan will be out as I believe that's what I'm waiting being released so I can get an idea of dates. Thanks for any replies sir

ReputationRep:
    A man with power and plenty of job satisfaction! What I like to see in the RAF, makes me push harder in my training for my application as a Regt. Officer

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys Just wanna wish everyone on this thread a merry christmas and good new year!! Just been for a morning run now bring on the turkey and a few cheeky rum and cokes!! Halton is not far away now

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.