Turn on thread page Beta

Is work experience necessary/recommend for engineering? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does doing work experience somewhere else matter? like at a law firm or a bank?

ReputationRep:
    i'm sure the skills are transferrable

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of doing work experience at a bank (they said yes) so do you guys think it would be useful?

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    This thread seems to suggest that work experience is not at all necessary since it is hard to get placement. any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth my time to send applications to engineering firms looking for a placement?>

ReputationRep:
    Work experience is definetly recomended for engineering. I however disagree with the poster who claimed science and economics student are smarter and have a harder course. From my experience Engineering involved a lot of coursework and a lot of examinations.

I suspect this poster is under the impression ability in pure maths proves maths and economics students to be superior to engineering students. The reality is Engineering students have to master very many skills including mathematics albeit at a lower level than maths students. In my course i found the maths exams very easy whereas fluid mechanics and solid mechanics proved to be much more difficult and would challenge these great maths students.

ReputationRep:
    Engineering > Economics, by far.

Science isn't easier or harder, it's just a different approach to similar material, with a different emphasis. Mathematicians often do things like fluids (as well as other topics such as quantum mechanics) as part of applied modules but to them it's just exploring the solutions of a certain bunch of partial differential equations - they don't actually need to understand what's going on. Engineers often make assumptions and throw away little details that scientists and mathematicians love to delve into, because they don't mind having to use experimental evidence if it gets to the right answer and means they don't have to spend years slaving away at finding a theoretical solution that might not be quite right anyway. But there's a lot of skill in being able to qualitatively describe what's going on in order to decide when it's appropriate to cut corners to get a safe under/over-estimate - in engineering you might be given (or be expected to identify) several ways of working something out, each more time consuming than the last but also more accurate. What I'm saying is that in engineering there's a lot of emphasis on understanding so you can make decisions on it!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.