Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Because with a debit card it is just coming out of your bank, like handing over cash, same security

Whereas credit card companies have to provide this service, part of the law.

Also you can make use of interest free period/offers to make money out of a credit card, no one is going to do this for a debit card.
    Its the law we are debating though - i still don't see why those that provide debit cards could not provide that same security, be it compulsory or otherwise. In the absence of credit cards banks would no doubt start to provide this service.

To the second point - that is not an argument for keeping easy credit! You may be intelligent enough to make money from it but that money is coming directly from those that don't! Unless you are proposing credit cards as some sort of darwinian mechanism for punishing the stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    I have a pre pay credit card, which means that I can only spend what I have on the card, just like a debit card so I cannot get in to any debt with it. I am trying to save up for christmas and this may be the only way I can afford to do it.
    why cant you instead of havin the pre pay credit card thing just get a savings account or isa?

(Original post by princessnavi22)
    Some things can only be purchased with a credit card etc, that's why
    Like what? :confused:
    ive never known of anywhere that ONLY accepts Credit cards.

------------

i have never nor has my family ever owned a credit card. everything we pay for is in cash or debit card (since 06).

i do not see the whole thing bout havin a credit card i mean seriously if you cant afford something and therefore have to put it on to a credit card shouldnt that tell you that you cannot afford it?! save up and then buy whatever you want.

my friend got one and said she got one so she could build up her credit rating. :\ the bank manager told me i needed to build up my rating as its harder to get a mortgage etc when im older when i asked how to do this she said you can even do it by setting up a direct debit to your mums account like every month and then gettin your mum to withdraw the money and give it bk to u!!!

ReputationRep:
    Credit is a lubricant of the financial system.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I'm old? I swear you could only pay for certain tickets, gig tickets etc etc with a credit card??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    my credit card gets me nectar points. I got £70 free shopping last xmas. and I haven't paid a penny to the credit card company for it!!

are you sure cuz i read a report the other day saying that unless your in the 0% free interest period u do get charged.

no1s gonna give you credit unless you pay for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EarlHickey)
    Is that a student account otherwise I dont think that would happen normally unless you have a good job, I only got offered an overdraft after I worked and literally had £2000 saved up(took about 2 years to save that much) then they offered me £3000 overdraft! then I had to spend the money as it was for uni and all of a sudden they only offered me £200
    It's a student account yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    It's perhaps not theoretically incompatible with debit cards, but if the scope of the Act was expanded in this way, it would probably lead to many banks being less willing to issue debit cards, as well as provoking a protest from debit card issuers. There's a substantial difference between the services of providing a bank account and providing access to credit, and there's already a lot of discussion about the potential end to free banking (following the 'unfair' bank charges cases) - this would only make it more likely.

As for when s75 CCA would be in point, one example would be if you pay for a service but the provider goes out of business before you receive the service. Alternatively, you might buy an item from a website and pay on credit card, but not receive your purchase. In either example, you could then reclaim the amount paid from your credit card company instead of from the trader.
    I would suggest banning credit cards, at which point it would become financially viable for banks to offer a service providing such protection. It could perhaps be made law for this service to be offered at a reasonable price.

The current system of credit cards having it and debit cards not seems...silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurah5498)
    This!

Banks give out credit cards and overdrafts like nobody's business! They have done this to my mum and she has only just managed to get herself out of the financial mess she's been in for 10 years (Long story, wayward father etc etc)

The banks have a lot to answer for imo
    you cant blame the banks. imo your mum shouldve known not to take out any credit from banks if she knew she wudnt be able to pay it off.

i think ppl forget that bank workers are basically sales ppl!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dubstepper)
    are you sure cuz i read a report the other day saying that unless your in the 0% free interest period u do get charged.

Unless other, more stupid people pay for it - that's what credit card companies do, prey on the weak.

ReputationRep:
    you cant blame the banks. imo your mum shouldve known not to take out any credit from banks if she knew she wudnt be able to pay it off.

i think ppl forget that bank workers are basically sales ppl!!!
    Ours was a bit of an extreme case so we were left without much choice if we actually wanted to live.

Banks are crafty sods at any rate.

ReputationRep:

If you're careful (and pay off the full balance each month), the credit is free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Its the law we are debating though - i still don't see why those that provide debit cards could not provide that same security, be it compulsory or otherwise. In the absence of credit cards banks would no doubt start to provide this service.

To the second point - that is not an argument for keeping easy credit! You may be intelligent enough to make money from it but that money is coming directly from those that don't! Unless you are proposing credit cards as some sort of darwinian mechanism for punishing the stupid.
    I think if debit cards were to provide that service then as someone has said they will either become much harder to get, or you will have to pay for a current acount.

As for the second point, I don't see why it should mean they should be banned, make them slightly harder to get and don't let the banks give you increased limits or credit card checks at the end of each statement.

Credit cards are not the worst offender though, store cards are much worse (seeing people happily fill in forms for them without reading the TOCs so they can get a 10% discount on there current purchase :rolleyes: )

I don't see why some people irresponsible use should mean they are banned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izaldo)
    Credit is a lubricant of the financial system.
    Bad credit is its downfall, as we're seeing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo3045)
    Only to those who misuse them. So if you have a bad credit rating you are banned from one anyway, until it improves. Simple.
    How do you improve your credit rating without demonstrating your ability to use it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    If you're careful (and pay off the full balance each month), the credit is free.
    yeah in this report it said even if you pay it off on time the full balance not like the minimum repayments. then again they couldve been talkin bout a specific company but they dint actually mention one

ReputationRep:
    No, a blatant infringement of basic rights and freedoms.

Credit is integral to the smooth running and function of the economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurah5498)
    Ours was a bit of an extreme case so we were left without much choice if we actually wanted to live.

Banks are crafty sods at any rate.
    if you hava good history with a bank theyre usually good to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    I think if debit cards were to provide that service then as someone has said they will either become much harder to get, or you will have to pay for a current acount.

As for the second point, I don't see why it should mean they should be banned, make them slightly harder to get and don't let the banks give you increased limits or credit card checks at the end of each statement.

Credit cards are not the worst offender though, store cards are much worse (seeing people happily fill in forms for them without reading the TOCs so they can get a 10% discount on there current purchase :rolleyes: )

I don't see why some people irresponsible use should mean they are banned.
    (copied from another response) I would suggest banning credit cards, at which point it would become financially viable for banks to offer a service providing such protection. It could perhaps be made law for this service to be offered at a reasonable price.

The current system of credit cards having it and debit cards not seems...silly.

I would ban it as it is just a system that preys on the weak (even if it is their own fault) and, as far as i can see, has few (if any) advantages.

ReputationRep:
    i do not see the whole thing bout havin a credit card i mean seriously if you cant afford something and therefore have to put it on to a credit card shouldnt that tell you that you cannot afford it?! save up and then buy whatever you want.

my friend got one and said she got one so she could build up her credit rating. :\ the bank manager told me i needed to build up my rating as its harder to get a mortgage etc
    But why would you want/need a mortgage?

Paragraph two contradicts paragraph one methinks...

ReputationRep:

Mate you're wrong. I get paid 1% for using it.

Very few cards (only the very high end ones) actually have a charge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.