Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'll be studying LLB Law and Economics at Swansea in September. What are the cons of doing this as opposed to a single honours in LLB Law, and are there any pros? My dad, a single honours LLB graduate from decades ago himself, reckons that single honours is 'the way to go' (and is 'still preferred by most employers'). But I thoroughly enjoy economics, and am looking forward to law as well.

Also, is an LLB Law and Economics degree worse than an LLB Law degree (single honours) if I want to approach the bar or become a solicitor?

ReputationRep:
    Furthermore: this LLB joint honours degree is a fully qualifying degree.

ReputationRep:
    Pros: It has a longer title
    Cons: You will catch aids.

ReputationRep:
    I did LLB Law with History and even though I now don't want to do anything with my law degree.. every other person on my course did a dual honours degree and they've all got on just fine!!

If anything, law can sometimes be tediously boring to study so doing another subject for 2 years is a nice release!

ReputationRep:
    is your course a 3 or 4 year course?

ReputationRep:
    OP, I don't think doing LLB Law and Economics is in any way detrimental to your future. You will gain knowledge of economics and that is often a good thing to have if you want to
    work in the City.

If it's a qualifying law degree, you also will not have to spend your money on the GDL, so there's nothing to worry about, I would think.

ReputationRep:
    I think Law and Economics will definately give you a really good degree, maybe not the best path if you solely want to practice law, but if you are looking for a different path, bringing in economics, working for The Government, business etc then I think you are on to a winner!

Good luck whatever you decide, but do what you want to do, other wise your heart and motivation won't be in it!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.