Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im thinking of doing biomedcial sciences at dundee or edinburgh and then medicine and i wanted to know if i do biomedical sciences at dundee or edinburgh( which are not accredited apparantly) and if i do medicine after my biomed degree can i still go into nhs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mani92)
    im thinking of doing biomedcial sciences at dundee or edinburgh and then medicine and i wanted to know if i do biomedical sciences at dundee or edinburgh( which are not accredited apparantly) and if i do medicine after my biomed degree can i still go into nhs
    what do you mean can you still go into the NHS? :confused:
    if you graduate with a medical degree in the UK, then yes you can, you'll be like every other medical graduate in the country.
    It doesn't matter where you studied your first degree.

ReputationRep:
    If you do medicine you would be able to go into the NHS, so I don't really understand what you think a biomed degree would do to prevent this happening. I've looked through some of your previous posts regarding graduate entry medicine and I think you're worrying unneccessarily about accreditation.

Basically any degree, provided you get a 2.1, will be good enough to get into a graduate entry medicine programme. People get offers with anything from physics to philosophy every year. Their choice of unis may be limited because it's not a "health-related" science, so in choosing to do biomed anywhere you'll be fine. The only objection to doing biomed is that because so many graduate entry medicine applicants have a biomed degree it's more difficult to stand out from the crowd when applying.

As for studying in scotland, it's pretty awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Is this a question about accreditation of biomed degrees?

The short answer to that is; no accreditation, no job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    The short answer to that is; no accreditation, no job.
    No accreditiation, no job as a biomedical scientist, but it certainly doesn't mean no job as a doctor after 4/5/6 years of medical school. Which of course you know(!) but OP's confused!

ReputationRep:
    No, Scottish medical degrees are not real medical degrees. The NHS has imposed a strict ban on graduates from Scottish medical schools. You will not even be able to call yourself ''Dr'' if you graduate from a Scottish medical school. The University of Edinburgh and Dundee are fleecing innocent English students into thinking they have got themselves a real medical degree. Run whislt you still can. And Scotland? Horrid place, I wouldn't go near it if I were you. They don't even have NHS in Scotland, it's some backward wilderness where haggises roam the lands, doing very little but being a danger to kilted men...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    No, Scottish medical degrees are not real medical degrees. The NHS has imposed a strict ban on graduates from Scottish medical schools. You will not even be able to call yourself ''Dr'' if you graduate from a Scottish medical school. The University of Edinburgh and Dundee are fleecing innocent English students into thinking they have got themselves a real medical degree. Run whislt you still can. And Scotland? Horrid place, I wouldn't go near it if I were you. They don't even have NHS in Scotland, it's some backward wilderness where haggises roam the lands, doing very little but being a danger to kilted men...

They are similar to foxes down in england but are less timid in terms of their predatory instincts. They are very adept at hillside ambush and stalking. Be warned hillwalkers - best to stand tall and shout to discourage them, especially the solitary hunters. The packs aren't easily dispersed though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    I think the correct term is Haggii.

ReputationRep:
    It's like "sheep" or "fish", haggis will sufiice as the plural.

So now you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela_banana)
    It's like "sheep" or "fish", haggis will sufiice as the plural.

So now you know.
    Thanks for correcting me. I'm English and am trying to learn :-)

ReputationRep:
    congrats on being completely ignorant. Use the search machine/GOOGLE.

ReputationRep:
    What??? Does that mean a MBBS from St Andrews = no practice in england?

ReputationRep:
    lol

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.