Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

best way to LOSE WEIGHT and GAIN MUSCLE Watch

ReputationRep:
    what is it?

im aware that there are many of these kind of threads, but im a bit confused, so if someone could sum up the thread title question, really appreciated!

things like...

- exercise: what kinds!
    - nutrition: what to eat!

thanks

ReputationRep:
    lift weights, eat less fat/more protein, do some running

ReputationRep:
    Eat healthily, do some exercise.

Is it just me or have TSR users become too lazy to use Google?

ReputationRep:
    You know what to eat mate. Don't make eating healthily a chore. Grab a bun and load it up with cheese and ham. Tasty and packed with carbs and protein! Eat straight away when you get up to shove some coal into your lifeless body. Granola, Weetabix and Bran Flakes are perfect and tasty ways to start the day.

You say you want to gain muscle. Cut down on the sugary snacks and whip out the protein boys! Nuts - any type! Go for tuna and pasta for lunch. Ham sandwiches! A good tip is to make sure you don't go over 3 hours without eating. This is to ensure you increase your metabolic rate and burn more calories.

Most important is to drink water not coke or sugary drinks as they screw you over. If water is too plain opt for flavoured water (Volvic do this) !

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Search for these on the internet:
    Tabata training, max contraction training, 300 movie workout, circuit training, glyceamic diets, and linear variable resistance training! Buy Arnold Schwarzenegger's the new encyclopaedia of modern bodybuilding! All this data will help you get a regimen that allows you to develop a body greater than any model! Tell me how you progress!

ReputationRep:
    Summary: tabata training (japanese method with multiple sets in a short time), max contraction training (ADVANCED : sets of one repitition lasting 30 to 45 seconds), 300 movie workout (ADVANCED : 6 exercises of 50 repetitions with no rest), circuit training (full body workouts with no rest between exercises), glyceamic diets (eating foods based on their glyceamic load), linear variable resistance training (attaching chains to barbells), Arnold's book (many exercises that you should know)! Powerlifting is useful as well! Aim for more sets in less time! Eat six 400 calorie meals a day, and eat more vegetables as meals as dinner. You can drink a glass of milk an hour before sleeping. Buy quality protein shakes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou Reed)
    what is it?

im aware that there are many of these kind of threads, but im a bit confused, so if someone could sum up the thread title question, really appreciated!

things like...

- exercise: what kinds!
    - nutrition: what to eat!

thanks
    Doing both at the same time is tough. Building muscle needs lots of protein - which means lots of food and calories so usually so fat gain in the process.

You're better bulking then cutting. Basically, working out with a high protein diet until your happy with your body then doing on a low calorie diet so all that muscle shows through. And really, having a low body fat makes it look so much better.

I went to a festival and lost about 4-5 lbs due to a sever lack of eating and lots of walking and it made my biceps / pecs look sweet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave129)
    You know what to eat mate. Don't make eating healthily a chore. Grab a bun and load it up with cheese and ham. Tasty and packed with carbs and protein! Eat straight away when you get up to shove some coal into your lifeless body. Granola, Weetabix and Bran Flakes are perfect and tasty ways to start the day.

You say you want to gain muscle. Cut down on the sugary snacks and whip out the protein boys! Nuts - any type! Go for tuna and pasta for lunch. Ham sandwiches! A good tip is to make sure you don't go over 3 hours without eating. This is to ensure you increase your metabolic rate and burn more calories.

Most important is to drink water not coke or sugary drinks as they screw you over. If water is too plain opt for flavoured water (Volvic do this) !

Hope this helps.
    Wtf man u wanna get him fatter lol :p:

Dnt eat pork it has a very high fat content !
    Follow all the other advice

ReputationRep:
    so if i did cardio, then weights, and eat lots of protein but kept my cals as low as poss...is that basically it?
    Pretty much but it's not that easy. Ideally for intense bodybuilding, you need 1g of protein per lb of body weight. Let's say you weigh 140lbs, that's 140g of protein needed daily.

A chicken sandwich has about 20g of protein (very roughly speaking here). It will contain about 350+ calories. See the math? It is tough to keep calories down and protein up. Protein shakes give about 30g of protein for 120ish calories but they're really meant as a booster rather than a main source.

It's tough and you would need to sit down and plan your diet and stick to it religiously. Or just bulk and cut

Also, if you have never really done weights before you'll get good gains fast. It's the honeymoon period for bodybuilding - lasts around 6-8 weeks. If you eat reasonable amounts of protein - say 60-80g daily - you will make great gains as your muscles begin to develop. It's after that that the battle begins

Goodluck.

ReputationRep:
    I read that you are vegetarian! So am I, therefore I do not eat eggs, but dairy is okay! The protein shake you need even more! You can't get really visually muscular, or extremely lean really quickly or simultaneously! The best option is to develop muscularity first, and then lose fat, as you will gain weight adding muscle, so there is no point losing weight first just to gain it back with muscle! Research the methods I wrote for you, and you are guaranteed an extreme transformation of physique!

ReputationRep:
    im vegetarian anyways so protein is hard to come by!
    Technically, this isn't true. In fact, vegetarian foods can have far higher protein content (and, more to the point, more DIGESTIBLE protein content) than meat. It's a common misconception that meat is the best way to get protein.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by recorta)
    Technically, this isn't true. In fact, vegetarian foods can have far higher protein content (and, more to the point, more DIGESTIBLE protein content) than meat. It's a common misconception that meat is the best way to get protein.
    Vegetarian food such as...

ReputationRep:
    Scientifically, this isn't true. Give me some vegetarian food that has far higher protein than whole cuts of meat then.

Proteins in a vegetarian diet are LESS digestible than in a mixed animal and plant diet. Fiber decreases digestion of proteins. Plus vegetarian proteins are incomplete. Ergo meat, poultry, fish, egg and milk proteins are more digestible and the best way to get protein. This also means that vegetarians need more protein on the whole.

No misconceptions here.

ReputationRep:
    Harvard School of Public Health: "So when choosing protein-rich foods, pay attention to what comes along with the protein. Vegetable sources of protein, such as beans, nuts, and whole grains, are excellent choices, and they offer healthy fiber, vitamins and minerals. The best animal protein choices are fish and poultry. If you are partial to red meat, stick with the leanest cuts, choose moderate portion sizes, and make it only an occasional part of your diet."

I suppose I was a little hyperbolic, as there needs to be a distinction between red meat (which most often springs to mind when one thinks of "meat", at least to me think) and things like fish (and poultry, I guess). Red meat really isn't the way to go. Chicken and turkey, yes, are much better, as is fish, but beans are vegetarian and excellent protein sources (ditto egg whites, for example, and legumes generally). Processed meats (e.g. hotdogs) have been linked to health problems, and so are not a good source.

I made my rather generalised statement because, typically, "meat" is protein + sat. fat and cholesterol, while protein coming from plant (i.e. vegetarian) sources comes with fiber and other valuable nutrients, and so are overall better for you (although everything must be eaten in moderation, and there are some interesting studies regarding soy and why its consumption should be moderated). Therefore, I would personally be more inclined to pursue veggie, or fish sources, just because of the added nutrients. I guess I don't connect "meat" with "fish" in my mind, though!!

The incomplete proteins people often cite as reason for ignoring vegetarian sources of protein isn't a valid reason, in my view. It just means you need to eat in balance, just like with every other nutrient!

ReputationRep:
    Harvard School of Public Health: "So when choosing protein-rich foods, pay attention to what comes along with the protein. Vegetable sources of protein, such as beans, nuts, and whole grains, are excellent choices, and they offer healthy fiber, vitamins and minerals. The best animal protein choices are fish and poultry. If you are partial to red meat, stick with the leanest cuts, choose moderate portion sizes, and make it only an occasional part of your diet."

I suppose I was a little hyperbolic, as there needs to be a distinction between red meat (which most often springs to mind when one thinks of "meat", at least to me think) and things like fish (and poultry, I guess). Red meat really isn't the way to go. Chicken and turkey, yes, are much better, as is fish, but beans are vegetarian and excellent protein sources (ditto egg whites, for example, and legumes generally). Processed meats (e.g. hotdogs) have been linked to health problems, and so are not a good source.

I made my rather generalised statement because, typically, "meat" is protein + sat. fat and cholesterol, while protein coming from plant (i.e. vegetarian) sources comes with fiber and other valuable nutrients, and so are overall better for you (although everything must be eaten in moderation, and there are some interesting studies regarding soy and why its consumption should be moderated). Therefore, I would personally be more inclined to pursue veggie, or fish sources, just because of the added nutrients. I guess I don't connect "meat" with "fish" in my mind, though!!

The incomplete proteins people often cite as reason for ignoring vegetarian sources of protein isn't a valid reason, in my view. It just means you need to eat in balance, just like with every other nutrient!
    The facts are that meat + plant will always be better than plant alone. Digestibility, amount needed, ease, all the EAAs are there already, more protein per g e.t.c. There are no misconceptions, meat will always be the best.

I've nothing against a vegetarian diet and you can largely get by if you're very, very strict and organised, but what you said wasn't hyperbolic or generalised, it was plain wrong. Every bit of it.

ReputationRep:
    Try the routine on this website: http://bodyforlife.com/

All the information is on there, its only 12 weeks so worth a go.

ReputationRep:
    bloke at my gym has injected synthol all over himself, looks ridiculous, couldn't believe i was seeing it in person, thought it was something for internet freaks.

To the OP

just do 3 cardio days a week and 3 weights days a week , with a proper routine. Then eat at least 4 high protein meals a day.

ReputationRep:
    On the same sorta topic of deep-fried foods and stuff (and hopefully the OP can benefit from the latter link) I found two sites:

This Is Why You're Fat - Lots of pics of the unhealthiest foods you can get!

This Is Why You're Thin - Lots of pics of foods to help inspire and give ideas of how to get healthier (Hopefully OP can get some ideas from this site!)

ReputationRep:
    That's the most god-awful disgusting sickening site I've ever had the misfortune of visiting. :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    Hey I've recently started starting strength and was wandering if using this program is the right thing to use due to the fact that I wanna lose weight but also increase strength. So I was wandering if that program is the best way to do it or should I do a 3/4 day spilt?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.