Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

best way to LOSE WEIGHT and GAIN MUSCLE Watch

ReputationRep:
    Starting Strength isn't for losing weight. You can lose weight by doing Starting Strength and not eating enough; but that's not really Starting Strength.

I suspect you probably don't need to lose weight, but just to make sure; What's your height and weight?

ReputationRep:
    Im 6 foot 3 and weigh about 13 stone 10 to 14 stone. I'm not fat its just that I want to have a slightly lower body fat% but also want to increase my strength for the upcoming rugby season. Oh and i'm 17 if you wanted to know.

ReputationRep:
    Just as I thought. You don't need to lose weight. At all.

Do Starting Strength, get big and strong. Afterwards, tell mum you're now a man. Then destroy lesser men on the pitch.

If you're worrying about your abs, then I worry for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    Just as I thought. You don't need to lose weight. At all.

Do Starting Strength, get big and strong. Afterwards, tell mum you're now a man. Then destroy lesser men on the pitch.

If you're worrying about your abs, then I worry for you.
    Funniely enough im actually not bothered. Crazy I know but the upside is even at my current weight I can see my abdominal muscles through my fat so im just gonna do maybe 50 weighted sit ups a day to improve my core.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Batman 1991)
    Funniely enough im actually not bothered. Crazy I know but the upside is even at my current weight I can see my abdominal muscles through my fat so im just gonna do maybe 50 weighted sit ups a day to improve my core.
    deadlift and squat will do the core for you.

do something like the plank if you have to though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Batman 1991)
    WTF is wrong with you? Please explain to me why you want to lose weight then?

And while you're at it, what makes you think 50 sit ups are in anyway useful?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've only just started weight training propely and I can definetly feel like my squat and deadlift is lagging but I feel like I got the technique sorted hopefully anyway and when i'm deadlifting it hurts my lower back for a few minutes afterwards is that normal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    WTF is wrong with you? Please explain to me why you want to lose weight then?

And while you're at it, what makes you think 50 sit ups are in anyway useful?
    Firstly, because its only slightly and would want them to be slightly more prominent and secondly why wouldn't they be useful surely doing them is better than not doing them.

ReputationRep:
    Do you want to be strong and good for rugby or do you want to be gay and worry about your six pack (which is already visible)?

If you've started weight training and doing Starting Strength. Doing 50 reps of anything isn't useful and is a big ******* waste of time. Secondly, a sit-up isn't really a useful exercise. When do you have to preform a similar motion when playing rugby? Your abdominal muscles aren't there for you to bend over and look at your crotch. That's what sit-ups are; looking at your crotch. The abdominals are there to stabilise your entire body and support yourself during exertion. The two best exercises to replicate this function are the squat and deadlift.

As I said, stop worrying about your abs.

ReputationRep:
    You make a good point. Well done Rippetoe even though you arn't the real guy your a good subsitute.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.