Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guys in overcoats/trenchcoats (Public enemies) Watch

ReputationRep:
    After watching Public Enemies, I have decided that Johnny Depp, in one of the opening scenes firing back at the prison, in an overcoat is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. And I'm not even homosexual.

I really want to buy one but I know that if I wear one I'll get weird looks and people telling me that Halloween isn't in X months. It's a pity because I think they look really good if you can carry the look off with out looking like a retarded vampire.

Ladies what do you think? Maybe its just Johnny Depp I mean compare the first link to the second one...Apparently Depp said that the costume designer specifically tailored the clothes to be sleeker so maybe these won't be available in the market? Deffo won't be able to afford tailored stuff.

http://www.wmbriggs.com/pics/publicenemies.jpg

http://www.eshopone.com/images/trenc...etail-main.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I love guys in trench coats they can look really good for example the burberry ones look great on both men and women but like i think you should invest in a nice trench coat as they do look pretty good!!

ReputationRep:
    have you considered buying a 'topman style' trenchcoat, then atleast you wont have to worry about looking like a vampire lol.
    e.g.
    http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/sto...6464&langId=-1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TylerDurden)
    After watching Public Enemies, I have decided that Johnny Depp, in one of the opening scenes firing back at the prison, in an overcoat in the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. And I'm not even homosexual.

I really want to buy one but I know that if I wear one I'll get weird looks and people telling me that Halloween isn't in X months. It's a pity because I think they look really good if you can carry the look off with out looking like a retarded vampire.

Ladies what do you think? Maybe its just Johnny Depp I mean compare the first link to the second one...Apparently Depp said that the costume designer specifically tailored the clothes to be sleeker so maybe these won't be available in the market? Deffo won't be able to afford tailored stuff.

Well you will look mental wearing one in summer, but you'll hardly get weird looks - about half the population wears them nowadays, and like someone else said: they're available in topman (which will be a slimmer fit and proves how popular they are)

ReputationRep:
    If you can pull it off, wear one!
    But just make sure that it actually suits you, else you'll look "weird".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC REN)
    Well you will look mental wearing one in summer, but you'll hardly get weird looks - about half the population wears them nowadays, and like someone else said: they're available in topman (which will be a slimmer fit and proves how popular they are)
    Yeah I won't wear one in the summer. But I never knew about topman. Yeah I would want something slimmer which fits me better rather than a longer one.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure it can hold its own shape and that it fits your bodyshape - i.e. take it to a tailor and get it fitted properly rather than leaving it as is. Otherwise you run the risk of looking like a teenager in something too big.

ReputationRep:
    Get a badass leather one and dye your hair black and end up looking like a kickass vampire :yes:

Definitely buy one - they are very stylish if you get a good cut and fit - but save it til the autumn.

ReputationRep:
    The Johnny Depp one just looks like a nice woollen coat - certainly very different from the mac style trench coat you posted in the second pic.
    Imo:
    mac style trench - slightly camp
    leather trench - look like a goth
    woollen trench - just looks like a nice coat, and pretty normal

So, go for it basically

ps - my boyfriend has one that look a bit like the topman one posted (shorter style) but in black wool, it looks nice and not at all vampire, its from m&s. So you could try looking in there.

ReputationRep:
    They're great for winter. Cool as a cucumber. Get one from a vintage or charity shop, not some obscure topman mutation of one.

ReputationRep:
    People are going to think John Barrowman before they think JohnnyDepp

unless you score a fedora and tommy gun of course :s:
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TylerDurden)
    After watching Public Enemies, I have decided that Johnny Depp, in one of the opening scenes firing back at the prison, in an overcoat in the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. And I'm not even homosexual.

Oh dear God you are right. Though I am a homo myself, I have never found Depp attractive, but in that movie he was amazing :coma:

Anywho. I must agree I love those coats. I myself have a Ted Baker coat (click here) which I absolutely LOVE.

My advice is wait til it's colder. Trench coats are in fashion this Autumn/Winter (according to QC) so you won't be the only one on the street. It also helps if you live in a city. But definitely go for it, a good quality coat is a great investment.

ReputationRep:
    Some guys can pull it off, and these such people look really good in them.

Anyone else just looks like a prick.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, the key to pulling anything (vaguely sensible) off is confidence and comfort. If you are confident enough to wear it and feel comfortable doing so you will have no problem.

I would make sure you get someone's opinion before buying or make sure you can return it if you take it home and people disapprove of it. Bringing a friend along with you to the shop helps.

ReputationRep:
    Johnny Depp is HOT in a trenchcoat, but maybe that's just Johnny Depp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Johnny Depp is HOT in a trenchcoat, but maybe that's just Johnny Depp.
    I think it might just be him :yes:

But if you do have the right fit and cut, then they can work.

ReputationRep:
    Depp can gtfo........Colombo was the pioneer

ReputationRep:
    You need to have the look to pull them off.

99% of guys wearing them just look like sex pests tbh.

Not a huge fan of trenchcoats, but overcoats, particularly of the full-length black cashmere variety, are the sexiest piece of clothing in existence. There's just something so damn classy about them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.