Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Self-harm scars: making them less visible Watch

Over the past few years I self-harmed, whilst being depressed and did other things as well. Over the past 6 months I have stopped and although I never SH to the extreme I still have visible mark on my arm. Ive tried using bio-oil on it which has I think made the mark less visible but as im paranoid I still always see it. Any other ideas on how to make it less visible? Also im really scared if people see it and think bad of me if I expose my arms, especially when I have a girlfriend. If they say something what should I say?

ReputationRep:
    foundation.
    carry on with the bio oil.
    vitamin E capsules (pierce them, rub the oil gel thing onto scars)

ReputationRep:
    Is there just one mark? I wouldn't worry about it tbh, no one will know what it is if it's just one mark.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a period of time after which bio oil wont really do anything?

If someone says something about them, shrug it off and say you don't want to talk about it. Most people will get the message and not be stupid enough to pry further.

Bio oil is good, I find tanning always makes them clearer so avoid the sun on your arms, other than that it would mostly be cosmetic - using foundation or a tinted moisturiser.

I have dermatix for mine, it's working really well. Mine were pretty deep and quite obvious but now I can go out with just a tshirt on they're so faded.

ReputationRep:
    If its only one mark cant you say you just caught your arm on the door or something?

(Original post by EskimoJo)
    Is there just one mark? I wouldn't worry about it tbh, no one will know what it is if it's just one mark.
    Its about 4 or 5 so its quite obvious. I have dark skin but it still doesnt hide a few of them

(Original post by Mazija)
    vitamin E capsules (pierce them, rub the oil gel thing onto scars)
    Does that really work? I already take them for my acne. I never knew they could work on scars.

I would keep on with the bio oil, and as has been mentioned before as much vitamin E as you can. Past scars can look pretty shocking but I think people look past them after a while, it's all in the past and no-one who's worth it is gonna look badly on you for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Does that really work? I already take them for my acne. I never knew they could work on scars.

yeah. i used to do it for random scars here and there. the vit E is pretty concentrated. it worked for me.

Also im a guy by the way and i have dark skin so foundation is out of the question. What would I say if a have a girlfriend and she asks me about it?

ReputationRep:
    Emu oil is also supposed to be quite good if you're still worried, OP.

(Original post by Mazija)
    yeah. i used to do it for random scars here and there. the vit E is pretty concentrated. it worked for me.
    My scars are quite old, though, so it's just that kind of white looking line. Will vit E help reduce that?

ReputationRep:
    Also im a guy by the way and i have dark skin so foundation is out of the question. What would I say if a have a girlfriend and she asks me about it?
    If you feel comfortable telling her about it, then tell her but you wouldn't have to. I'm sure whoever it was would understand if you just said it was in the past or you didn't want to talk about it.

I always say that my cat scratched me, if it's multiple lines.

ReputationRep:
    Just be honest! There's nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone has a past and I presume your self harm is just that. If she can't deal with it then she's probably not worth the hassle.

i have alot of very visible deep scars on my arms, it's apparent it was from SH. if anyone asks about it though i claim when i was a kid i was trespassing whilst playing in fields near me, a dog/warden/owner came and we ran, but i had to climb a fence with barbed wire / razor wire, and i got caught up trying to run away. which shreadded my arm.

the fact i've got no scars on my hand, and that there are some on the other arm and one of my thighs kind of shows the story to be a lie... but use some variation of that if you like?

there are various scar lightening treatments available from the chemist, and sun may expedite the whitening, but would show up the scars in the short term obv.

ReputationRep:
    "when they say don't feed the tigers they mean it".

Makes people shut up about it anyway :p:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I just know though it will be so arkward if someone asks me about it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.