Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What do i do now? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm just about to start year 11 and am getting my A level maths results this august and expecting an A. However having done my A level maths already i will be left with 3 hours of free periods a week to do something mathematically based. I've already decided that i will do a mathematics AEA next June but i feel like 3 hours a week is more than enough for an AEA and wondered what else i could do/any other qualifications i could obtain. I looked at the Cambridge Pre-U Diploma but found that i wouldn't know where to start rehearsing practice papers as there is currently only one specimen paper so any ideas into what i could invest this time into would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    you won't be able to do the aea there are no aea papers after this june soyou've missed the boat! you should do teh pre u.

ReputationRep:
    AEA for maths has been carried on?

ReputationRep:
    He can do Maths AEA, it is being maintained for the forseeable future.

Aside from that; i have no useful input to give:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noémie)
    you won't be able to do the aea there are no aea papers after this june soyou've missed the boat! you should do teh pre u.
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    AEA for maths has been carried on?
    Actually, the Mathematics AEA run by Edexcel was continued to 2012 due to no reforms in the mathematical a level syllabus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Small123)
    Actually, the Mathematics AEA run by Edexcel was continued to 2012 due to no reforms in the mathematical a level syllabus
    That's what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    You're a clever one
    Congratulations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    That's what I meant.
    Oh sorry i misinterpreted your reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakee)
    You're a clever one
    Congratulations
    This

And, STEP perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allieRAWR!)
    This

And, STEP perhaps?
    STEP seems scary atm :p: i'd rather leave that till sixth form to maximise my grades

ReputationRep:
    You did GCSE Maths in Year 6?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to say try taking Further Maths modules.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Prove the Riemann hypothesis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xtian)
    You did GCSE Maths in Year 6?
    yer..this..if you did you are one smart cookie , at least in the maths department :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    Further maths?
    I considered doing this but i dont want to end up in year 13 having no maths left to do as i'm hoping to study maths at cambridge

ReputationRep:
    Well there is additional further maths too, STEP to look forward to, Olympiads, also open university courses may interest you. You could always study it for interest without obtaining even more qualifications. I suspect there is more mathematics than anyone could ever master in a lifetime
    Yeah, i suppose you're right, would it be quite advantageous to apply to uni already having a level further mathematics then? Also, i was wondering whether getting a cambridge pre-u in maths would be beneficial considering the overlapping syllabus, would getting one actually be worth the qualification?

Well there is additional further maths too, STEP to look forward to, Olympiads, also open university courses may interest you. You could always study it for interest without obtaining even more qualifications. I suspect there is more mathematics than anyone could ever master in a lifetime
    I could be wrong, but I thought this only existed in one or 2 boards, and in others only FM was available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    I could be wrong, but I thought this only existed in one or 2 boards, and in others only FM was available.
    It is available on the OCR MEI examination board which is the one i'm currently on

ReputationRep:
    It would certainly be no disadvantage to have further maths already under your belt when applying. With regards to the pre-U I don't think there is much benefit from gaining it on top of the A-level since, as you say, it overlaps so much.
    Yeah, although the other thought in my head says 'It's like the AEA and it has the grade D1 which outperforms the A* at A level' meaning if i were to get that id be really happy

ReputationRep:
    You could do further maths now, then pure maths at college?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.