Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend some good salad combinations? I like taking salads to work for lunch at the moment but am rapidly running out of inspiration!

I'm not a big "leafy salad" fan if that makes sense.. much prefer vegetable based ones. For example I recently had one which was cooked salmon, courgettes and beans which was quite yummy. I like them a bit more substantial than just salad leaves.

Also having bits of pasta, cous cous etc is fine every now and then

Suggestions anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Pasta is always a good addition As well as leaves, tomato and cucmber, I like to add sweetcorn, celery, peppers (either raw or roasted), fine beans (they go really well with roasted peppers), asparagus, olives, feta cheese, goats' cheese, walnuts, pine nuts.

Cous cous salads (always add spring onion!) are always good - either with just tomato and cucumber (and fresh mint, parsley etc), or with courgettes, peppers and mushrooms. And tahini or houmous.

ReputationRep:
    I adore salads.
    Today I made one with fresh rocket, avocado, tomatoes, carrot, mango and cinnamon (you could also add chicken to this if you eat meat).

Adding fresh basil to a standard salad is also a great way to tasty it up.

ReputationRep:
    Lets see...

salmon/chicken/avocado/feta/mozzarella/goats cheese/betroot/pine nuts/peanuts/sunblushed tomatoes/mushrooms/caramelised onion/any roasted veg/bacon bits/prawn cocktail/tuna/pineapple/....

Just mix and match anything you like really!

Then there are dressings, olive oil or balsalmic is always good and simple. Or you could try French, Italian, Blue cheese, Ranch etc. My absolute favourite dressing is Pizza Express House dressing but it's a bit pricy!

ReputationRep:
    caeser salad dressing is the nicest salad dressing though is abit fattening...put parsesma on the salad and croutons

also just any veg you like with white wine vinegar and olive oil dressin is delicious

ReputationRep:
    Chicken, bacon & new potatoes :coma:

ReputationRep:
    hey, as long as it's not been meated up, its fine

unfortunately some people do that and ruin the whole idea of a salad... :s

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE cous cous mixed with tomatoes, onions, sweetcorn, mushrooms, celery, red peppers, cucumber, grated carrot oy my god the list could go on.

I would melt a knob of butter into the cous cous to prevent it from going dry. Or add some kind of sauce...

For extra flavour fried garlic and ginger can be tossed in Maybe not for taking to work though

Perhaps some flaked tuna or strips of chicken?

Could take little mini iceberg lettuce leaves to spoon the cous cous onto before devouring om nom nom :yum:

ReputationRep:
    Mmmmmmm i love salad! Make mine with:
    Baby gem lettuce
    Cucumber
    Vine tomatoes (the little ones)
    Red and Yellow pepper
    Spring onions
    Red onion
    Sweetcorn
    Grated carrot
    Hard boiled egg
    Baby potatoes
    (bit of dressing)

ReputationRep:
    I love salad so check out my faves.
    Have you heard of the resteraunt Croma??? Well they do an amasing duck salad!!!!!!
    I also adore Nicoise salad!!! Coma do it gooooooood!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've only just recently got into salads, I'm similar to you and don't like the bland types, I tried putting tuna in sunflower oil on lettuce, celery, avocado, cucumber, olives and sunflower seeds, it worked really well. Also have you tried tomato and basil salad? It's yum aswell!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the ideas everyone keep them coming!

ReputationRep:
    Parma Ham (ripped up)
    Ripe peach (ripped up)
    Romaine lettuce
    Chilli (deseeded and finely chopped)
    Rocket
    Watercress
    Feta cheese (crumbled over)

Dress that with some good olive oil and a little squeeze of lemon juice. Salad dressings should generally be 3:1 oil:acid.

Try and get these four elements into each salad for all-round enjoyment:

Hot
    Sweet
    Salty
    Sour

In this case: Hot = chilli; sweet = peach; salty = feta cheese and sour = lemon juice.

Enjoy!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.