Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Have any foreign students starting this fall for a postgrad degree gotten their letter from the university (required for your visa) yet? I don't just mean an acceptance, but the big detailed and official one that the visa application says you must have....

ReputationRep:
    If it helps I had a condition offer which I fufilled however I was told I had to contact postgrad addmissions if I wanted conformation of that even though the department had said come in September!

Basically it seems to get written conformation of your final offer you need to contact postgrad admissions yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression that even when you get a postgrad offer from your department you don't actually have an official offer until the admissions office has sent you an offer letter. I had my interview on a Tuesday, had emails on the Wednesday from the Departmental secretary and the Prof who had interviewed me stating that I had been offered a place but that this wasn't official until i received it from admissions. It was about a week or so later when i received an email version (printed letter came the following day in the post) of the official offer. Technically even though a department makes an offer this is not guaranteed until the admissions office oks it. Occasionally a department can offer a place but the admissions office does not, meaning that you don't get an official offer and therefore don't get in. I suspect that this is only in rare cases, presumably because the admissions office is responsible for checking and authenticating qualifications etc.

Sorry this is all slightly off topic now that i've read it back, but the point i was trying to make was that even if a department as issued an offer the admissions office needs to send the official offer which would be the letter needed for visas etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipsi)

Sorry this is all slightly off topic now that i've read it back, but the point i was trying to make was that even if a department as issued an offer the admissions office needs to send the official offer which would be the letter needed for visas etc.
    Yes you are right a offer letter come through the post and email. If you want one after completing the conditions if you have any then you will need to contact them personally again....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.