Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what would you say are the least chavy univeristies Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Well say if his firm was LSE supposing he wanted to do econ, but he had to live on an Islington council estate in second year. Would he take his insurance purely because of this?
    Does this matter? My point was that you jumped on him, assuming that whether there were lots of chavs was the key issue on which he picked a university. It might be, but you have no grounds to attack him like that he hasn't indicated it is.

ReputationRep:
    derby has most or teesside

ReputationRep:
    York York York.....theres just alot of chinease people here tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    At a guess, I would assume most former polytechnics to have a higher proportion of 'chavs'. I've heard some terrible stories about the students at Kingston, LSBU, and TVU.
    I'd say this, really. I've heard bad things about London Met and UEL for these reasons - I think that have very flexible access policies.

Someone said Salford Uni was chavvy. I doubt that any / many local chavs would get in - they'd be more likely to aim for MMU.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham Trent, Derby, and De Montfort have the lowest amount of chavs, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jormungandr)
    Does this matter? My point was that you jumped on him, assuming that whether there were lots of chavs was the key issue on which he picked a university. It might be, but you have no grounds to attack him like that he hasn't indicated it is.
    It doesn't need to be key. It's just prejudice like this that annoys me..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrmondDrone)
    I'd say this, really. I've heard bad things about London Met and UEL for these reasons - I think that have very flexible access policies.

Someone said Salford Uni was chavvy. I doubt that any / many local chavs would get in - they'd be more likely to aim for MMU.
    I would have to disagree there. I'd say most people in general from Salford go to Salford.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't need to be key. It's just prejudice like this that annoys me..
    That's fair enough, but you said he didn't care about course or career, only avoiding chavs. As far as prejudice goes, physician, heal thyself: you assumed the OP was using chav as a class connotation. I don't like chavs either, but it has nothing to do with any statistical correlation with social class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jormungandr)
    That's fair enough, but you said he didn't care about course or career, only avoiding chavs. As far as prejudice goes, physician, heal thyself: you assumed the OP was using chav as a class connotation. I don't like chavs either, but it has nothing to do with any statistical correlation with social class.
    Why have half the replies stated "there are no chavs at university", then? Almost everyone uses it as a class connotation.

ReputationRep:
    Why have half the replies stated "there are no chavs at university", then? Almost everyone uses it as a class connotation.
    They've stated that because the negative characteristics of chavs mean they neither want to and/or are able to get into university. This is quite distinct from class, as there are plenty of working class people at university (myself included).

(Original post by OhNO!)
    there are 'chavs' everywhere in the country, although I suppose there might be a lower proportion if you live in a university in a well-off smaller city or town. I imagine the Royal Agricultural College in Cirencester, for example, is going to be pretty chav-free.

I've lived in manchester for a year now, and don't really run into many people you might describe as 'chavs' in my day-to-day life. On my second ever visit to oxford - I got punched by a smackhead, so, there you go. you can move somewhere like manchester and have a spiffing time, or go somewhere horrendously middle-class and rural and run into lots of nasty and unfortunate people everyday - really, I don't think this should be a massive consideration.
    Oxford is quite a working class city. Sure it has slivers of nice areas in the north, but a lot is dog rough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    Oxford is quite a working class city. Sure it has slivers of nice areas in the north, but a lot is dog rough.
    yup, and I always thought it was pretty posh (well, it is quite posh really). I think most people not from the area would, too, which is why it's a bit silly to base any of your decision on where to go to uni on an area's perceived chaviness/non-chaviness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    area -- durham has lots. County durham is highly deprived
    Yeah, except they aren't called chavs :fuhrer: Charvs (until the southerners murdered our 2,000 year old word by removing the " r " ).

Obviously, as a university Durham is very affluent and middle class and being a pretty historical place the city is relatively affluent also. But on the outskirts (and in the former mining villages just outside) there's a significant amount of working class people and still deprivation. Especially in the East of the county. As a student most don't really notice this, the city centre is heavily student dominated after all. The locals (and the very small minority who are "chavs") are known to hang around North Road - the one street in Durham where you'll actually see more working class locals than students/professionals. It's a shame. But I do hate using the bus station and some of the prats you get in there. Terrible group just the other day. But in Gilesgate, where I'm living now, this is also local-dominated and, at least the part of Gilesgate I'm living in now (ex-council estate) isn't affluent and it puts other students off. They'll look to the other parts of Gilesgate or city as a whole. But it has a great community, the people are friendly and they actually have manners (which I'd say 20% of the students don't). Just because they don't have much money or didn't really have the chance of having a good education.

But, just like I don't like the inverse snobbery of rah hatred, I also don't like this chav snobbery. Just because someone is working class/has an accent/wears a tracksuit that doesn't make them a chav or a bad person.

You get "chavs" everywhere (the concentration will just vary). But you get unpleasent people across the social spectrum and labels.

ReputationRep:
    Well, Imperial is located in one of the wealthiest areas of the world. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Well, Imperial is located in one of the wealthiest areas of the world. :coma:
    Yup. Not one tracksuit in sight.

But fall down in pain in the middle of a busy road and not one person stops and checks to see if you're OK. They just walk past or, in the case of a cyclist, actually cycle over me.

I know where I'd rather live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Yup. Not one tracksuit in sight.

But fall down in pain in the middle of a busy road and not one person stops and checks to see if you're OK. They just walk past or, in the case of a cyclist, actually cycle over me.

That's why I have friends. And who's to say someone wouldn't stop?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, except they aren't called chavs :fuhrer: Charvs (until the southerners murdered our 2,000 year old word by removing the " r " ).
    Well, it's a Romany word, it's not a "northern word". The Hungarian word, based also on the original Romany is "csávó" which means "boy" or "lad" is far closer in pronunciation to "chav" (chaav or). It has no social connotations and hasn't been changed as much as it is still a gypsy word, used in its original meaning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    That's why I have friends
    Well done. It's where I go wrong in life :emo:

(Original post by ashy)
    And who's to say someone wouldn't stop?
    Personal experience (noboby gave a **** about me the other week). And my situation isn't unique, during my time there I've noticed a number of people needing help but people ignoring (lady struggling with a pushchair, someone with bags). When you stop and offer your help they look quite shocked :p: People trying to walk through you. Now, unfortunately the entire country (no matter where you are) is becoming increasingly self-obsessed, selfish and private. There are some well mannered people around. I don't mean to be as guilty of stereotyping.

This isn't a great criticism, it's natural, it's (the wealthiest) part of the capital city and by its sheer size and culture you don't have that same sense of cohesion and community.

You may not have to deal with dirty working class people or "chavs". But that doesn't make things rosey. There are unpleasent people everywhere. Each to their own though, I prefer somewhere more mixed and personal.

Also, the crime rate of Kensington is comparable to, say, Newcastle's or Sheffield's. All three only just above the national average (and still well below most of the other major cities). So it may be wealthy, it doesn't mean you're necessarily less likely to be a victim of various kinds of crime.

(Original post by ashy)
    Well, it's a Romany word, it's not a "northern word". The Hungarian word, based also on the original Romany is "csávó" which means "boy" or "lad" is far closer in pronunciation to "chav" (chaav or). It has no social connotations and hasn't been changed as much as it is still a gypsy word, used in its original meaning.
    I know it's a Romany word. It was a bad "nothern" joke.

ReputationRep:
    Chavvy unis? Err...Bolton?

There aren't any unis really sticking out as being exceptionally chavvy because most chavs don't go to university, they've already started families by then :-p

ReputationRep:
    Well done. It's where I go wrong in life :emo:

Personal experience (noboby gave a **** about me the other week). And my situation isn't unique, during my time there I've noticed a number of people needing help but people ignoring (lady struggling with a pushchair, someone with bags). When you stop and offer your help they look quite shocked :p: People trying to walk through you. Now, unfortunately the entire country (no matter where you are) is becoming increasingly self-obsessed, selfish and private. There are some well mannered people around. I don't mean to be as guilty of stereotyping.

This isn't a great criticism, it's natural, it's (the wealthiest) part of the capital city and by its sheer size and culture you don't have that same sense of cohesion and community.

You may not have to deal with dirty working class people or "chavs". But that doesn't make things rosey. There are unpleasent people everywhere. Each to their own though, I prefer somewhere more mixed and personal.

Also, the crime rate of Kensington is comparable to, say, Newcastle's or Sheffield's. All three only just above the national average (and still well below most of the other major cities). So it may be wealthy, it doesn't mean you're necessarily less likely to be a victim of various kinds of crime.
    I blame Thatcher:yes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.