Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Marriage Vs Living Together Watch

• View Poll Results: Marriage Vs Living Together
    Marriage. I am a Juliet.
    53.13%
    Living together. I love him just as much.
    12.50%
    Marriage. I am a Romeo.
    27.08%
    Living together. I love her just as much.
    7.29%

ReputationRep:
    Do you believe in marriage???

I don't really believe in marriage, as I believe that we won't stay the same forever, 10 years maybe, but twenty, thirty. what do you do if you no longer enjoy your marriage do you sustain it for the sake of your partner(who could also be bored with it:yes: ). Satistics show that after the the first divorce you are more likely to get another divorce and so on(like compound interest:yes: ). Would you still get married knowing you properly will divorce one day.

But I properly will get married because I properly will meet a girl of my life and get all hot headed and marry her and have kids and then (hopefully not but:rolleyes: )divorce(I'm slightly cynical so don't stone me:rolleyes: ).

Living together has all the benefits but not so much hassle when it comes ot seperating........Maybe is not as romantic and devouting.

To all the romeo and juliets out there, this is just how I see it so I could be wrong(properly am:rolleyes: ). Don't let me ruin anything, I will be very very sad .

What do you think........

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in marriage, it's not this magical thing that will make your relationship better, or mean that you'll be together forever and life will be just super.

I do like the idea of it though, the drama of the ceremony/reception and everything, and telling the world that you're in love. There seems to be some level of extra security (yes, I know, I'm contradicting myself a bit now) about being husband and wife and not just boyfriend and girlfriend, or 'partners.' Also, there's the thing of if you have kids, mummy and daddy are married, rather than just living together sounds a lot better :p: I know that's a stupid reason, and of course there's nothing wrong with not being married and having kids.

ReputationRep:
    I would think about the legal rights involved being married rather than living together. (who said romance was dead!?)

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...ifferences.htm

And it would be nice to have the whole ceremony and a great occasion to celebrate! I hope to get married soon, it's just so bloody expensive!

ReputationRep:
    Either, really.
    I suppose marriage is expected, and I think being 'Mrs X' would be quite fun, but it my partner, for some reason, is vehementaly against it, I won't push it.
    Just because my life has been marked by a lot of bad marriages, I really do believe they can work. But, you know, this is all in the waaaay distant future :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balloon_parade)
    I would think about the legal rights involved being married rather than living together. (who said romance was dead!?)

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...ifferences.htm

And it would be nice to have the whole ceremony and a great occasion to celebrate! I hope to get married soon, it's just so bloody expensive!
    funnyly enough, the credit crunch has reduced the divorce rate as couples can't afford to live seperately. :woo:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by DR_X)
    Do you believe in marriage???

I don't really believe in marriage, as I believe that we won't stay the same forever, 10 years maybe, but twenty, thirty. what do you do if you no longer enjoy your marriage do you sustain it for the sake of your partner(who could also be bored with ithttp://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...milies/yes.gif ). Satistics show that after the the first divorce you are more likely to get another divorce and so on(like compound interesthttp://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...milies/yes.gif ). Would you still get married knowing you properly will divorce one day.

But I properly will get married because I properly will meet a girl of my life and get all hot headed and marry her and have kids and then (hopefully not buthttp://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...s/rolleyes.gif )divorce(I'm slightly cynical so don't stone mehttp://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...s/rolleyes.gif ).

Living together has all the benefits but not so much hassle when it comes ot seperating........Maybe is not as romantic and devouting.

To all the romeo and juliets out there, this is just how I see it so I could be wrong(properly amhttp://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...s/rolleyes.gif ). Don't let me ruin anything, I will be very very sad .

What do you think........
    Do you mean 'probably'? They are very different words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Do you mean 'probably'? They are very different words.
    Damn it, I just realised I have written "properly" instead of "probably" in all my threads, God I am so stupid:mad: .....

ReputationRep:
    Marriage... so if he tries anything I'll be like "Hey Misturr..." LOOOL
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by DR_X)
    Damn it, I just realised I have written "properly" instead of "probably" in all my threads, God I am so stupidhttp://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...milies/mad.gif .....
    No worries. I assume English is not your first language, so it's understandable!

Marriage... I'm not interested in the ceremony and the guff but I do think that it is important to make a commitment, particularly if offspring are a possibility.

ReputationRep:
    I dont believe "in" marriage... I just think it's a nice, moral tradition A chance to show the world how much you love eachother.

Plus, not ALL marriages end in divorce... and I think the problem with people nowadays is that they go into marriage thinking they'll probably divorce in 10 years time. Instead of thinking they'll be together for a lifetime, and with divorce being much easier to attain these days, of course, it is likely that divorce rates are much higher than they were 50 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to get married before having children - legal rights etc. But I'm not very religious or anything, I don't believe marriage will make the relationship better in any way. Although I suppose it's a natural progression. I'd like to get married one day, but I wouldn't want a big white wedding in a church. But my happiness doesn't depend on one day getting married.

ReputationRep:
    Marriage to the right person means you don't have to worry about divorce.
    But I'd live with him while we were engaged, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    It looks like most of us will go for marriage, but I have to say it, stas show that some of us will be disappointed. who knows we might be the generation where divource rate drops to zero.......

I wish.....

ReputationRep:
    I voted "marriage", but not because "I am a Juliet". Rather, I am wholly indifferent to having a giant materialistic marriage ceremony, and I have ZERO interest in religious connotations (which are mainly misogynistic if you probe them even slightly).

Nevertheless, there are some sound legal reasons for getting married. The first is that there are some laws (predominantly pertaining to children) that still privilege married couples (indeed, there are some that result in the total exclusion of non-married couples...). Secondly, although not quite a 'legal' reason, cohabitation is more likely to result in separation, as compared to marriage, because (I suspect) it is just a whole lot trickier to divorce than move out.

So, marriage provides added security in many forms, I think...

ReputationRep:
    I live with my partner at the moment, but we will certainly get married at some point in the future (I'm sure she'd marry me tommorow if I actually saved and bought her an engagement ring :p: )

I picked the wrong option on that poll, I tried to scroll down and it selected the wrong one

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in Marriage. I'm not religious and I don't need a government stamp on my relationship to prove I love my partner. Also divorce is a problem and the man generally stands to lose a lot more than the women including the kids so I doubt I will get married but I couldn't rule it out completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balloon_parade)
    I hope to get married soon, it's just so bloody expensive!
    Haha, I've just got married and it cost £100 (payment of the registrar). I believe that marriage is about committing to the person you love, and all the ridiculous pomp and ceremony people have is unnecessary and not at all conducive to a happy marriage. Many people bankrupt themselves paying for their wedding day, and this puts a huge strain on their relationship then. Also, I think that the point of the day is that you're showing each other how much you love each other, and that's what makes it special, not releasing white doves, or spending £2000 on a dress that makes you look like a meringue!

ReputationRep:
    By looking at the comments and the poll rates. My suspicion is proven right, women seems to plan and care more about marriage compared to men( I could be wrong), only right though, I have always classed women as emotional creatures, where as men are more logical or colder in comparison, this is only my observations and everyone is different.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DR_X)
    By looking at the comments and the poll rates. My suspicion is proven right, women seems to plan and care more about marriage compared to men( I could be wrong), only right though, I have always classed women as emotional creatures, where as men are more logical or colder in comparison, this is only my observations and everyone is different.....
    yes, agreed, although it does sound like generalisation, it also has biological links, as women have been the ones who seek security and commitment from one partner, as they are the ones who must provide care for the children due to the fact that their reproductive capacity is considerably lower than men (time taken to conceive/be pregnant/care for one child), and men have a high reproductive capacity, so are naturally programmed to want to spread their genes to as many people as possible, to ensure their genes carry on, therefore they are more concerned about the sex than actually settling down.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.