Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Marriage Vs Living Together Watch

• View Poll Results: Marriage Vs Living Together
    Marriage. I am a Juliet.
    53.13%
    Living together. I love him just as much.
    12.50%
    Marriage. I am a Romeo.
    27.08%
    Living together. I love her just as much.
    7.29%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMZB)
    Has anyone pointed out that Romeo and Juliet didn't stay together for years and years, but instead died?
    Surely that's even better, married till death:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i don't see the point in getting married, cos it does'nt change anything in the relationship, and it's not like it garentees you will be together forever, so living together is much better... you don't have to go through all the hassle of divorce either.

but the thought of marriage is quite appealing.. just because you get to wear a wedding dress but marriage is just too expensive and tiring anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    That's crap! You can't say that just because you've had a ceremony and gotten a piece of paper that you're more likely to cheat on your partner. I know people who have been living together for more than 20 years with nothing of that sort occuring, and then you get situations like my parents where my dad was cheating on my mum for years on end! Any cheating I've ever seen in relationships - with people older than us, obv - have been where they've been married.

Are you living in a bubble or something? It doesn't matter whether you're married or not, if you're going to cheat, you will.
    Im not saying that people who are married never cheat ! Im just saying that there is usually more comitment in a married couples live's in comparison to those that are cohabiting. There is no need for you to refer to my advice as crap, i was never rude to you and neither did i pity the situation between your parents. That is the only point that i made, ofcourse cheating occurs in all sorts of situations just less in marriage. I would advise you not to try and argue with that point because its FACT, take a look at statistics should you need to.

And if anything my dear friend your the one living in a bubble, i stated a fact, what your saying is merely driven by the experience of your parents that you have seen first hand. I hope your mum's okay and that she got out of this unstable relationship just as much as i hope that your beliefs on marriage arn't shattered because of the experience of your parents.

Just an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pillow)
    i don't see the point in getting married, cos it does'nt change anything in the relationship, and it's not like it garentees you will be together forever, so living together is much better... you don't have to go through all the hassle of divorce either.

but the thought of marriage is quite appealing.. just because you get to wear a wedding dress but marriage is just too expensive and tiring anyway

Some people would see that it does,as that extra commitment shows that you love them just that little bit more and it gives people a feel of security.:yes:

The difficulty of divorce could also halt a split between the couple, might just by enough time for them to see if they really do want to get a divorce.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescarella)
    i want to be a bride but not a wife.
    i beleive in marriage, i jsut dont think its for me.
    This.
    I want a wedding but I don't necessarily see how it would make a difference to my relationship. Though if my boyfriend asked me in a few years I probably wouldn't say no :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pillow)
    marriage is just too expensive and tiring anyway
    lol so ur not gonna get married cos u cant be bothered ? lol its not like any guy is gonna make u (the bride) pay for anything anyway (except maybe the flowers lol)

although i do agree living together is a great idea :P:yes:

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in sin twice, for six years with my previous partner and three now with my current! Maybe one day I'll think about marriage but it's just not important. Marriage won't make a difference to how happy we are/will be, equally I don't think marriage means we'll stay in love with each other for the rest of our lives; only we would need to know that anyway, I don't see how a ring would make me keep a promise. Anything could happen, we're both young.
    But it would be nice if I ever got the feeling that we NEEDED to be married then we could both have a ring each as a symbol to the rest of the world that we're both taken. I guess I'm saying I can see the side for marriage but not really the side against. (Marriage apathy?!)
    When my son was born we went double-barrelled anyway so all options are available if we happen to split up. I have seen people checking my ring finger (usually older people on the bus lol) and have people address me Mrs (partner's surname) when they spot the baby- it seems to be more important to everyone else. This made me feel bad at first but now it amuses me.

ReputationRep:
    I would get married but I would love her just as much if we weren't married, which option do I pick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    I would get married but I would love her just as much if we weren't married, which option do I pick?
    Yeah. forgot to add a middle option:rolleyes: but you do sound more of a "living together" as the marriage option is for people who are set out to get married.........:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DR_X)
    Yeah. forgot to add a middle option:rolleyes: but you do sound more of a "living together" as the marriage option is for people who are set out to get married.........:yes:
    Okay boss...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peninsula64)
    lol so ur not gonna get married cos u cant be bothered ? lol its not like any guy is gonna make u (the bride) pay for anything anyway (except maybe the flowers lol)

lol no, not cos i cant be bothered... cos its expensive.. even if i didnt have to pay lol i would rather my partner save the money for other more useful things... like house...holidays... BABY!!! lol hahahahaha :woo:

and what do you mean by 'any guy' *cry*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DR_X)
    Some people would see that it does,as that extra commitment shows that you love them just that little bit more and it gives people a feel of security.:yes:

The difficulty of divorce could also halt a split between the couple, might just by enough time for them to see if they really do want to get a divorce.:yes:
    im sure people love eachother just as much even if they didnt get married....:yep: you cant possibly love someone more just cos youve signed a piece of paper and wear a ring.. :confused:

ReputationRep:

When you are married you and your partner generally don't keep your finances entirely seperate. I wouldn't want my boyfriend to waste money on an expensive wedding if it means we are going to be struggling to pay the rent.

ReputationRep:
    I chose the living together option, as I've never been one of those people who are set on finding mr. right and getting married in front of the whole world and spending all my money on one day. I'm not opposed to marriage, but I don't think it's necessary. People can have a perfectly happy and healthy relationship without legal deglaration that they're a couple. I think I'd quite like to be married though, if I was with someone I could see myself spending the rest of my life with, legal reasons and all that. But I don't want a big wedding, even the thought makes me feel uncomfortable. I just don't see why I should have all my relatives witness me getting married, at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abhead)
    When you are married you and your partner generally don't keep your finances entirely seperate. I wouldn't want my boyfriend to waste money on an expensive wedding if it means we are going to be struggling to pay the rent.
    yeah but i would have thought that if you wouldnt be able to afford an expensive wedding and pay the rent then you just wouldnt get an expensive wedding

ReputationRep:
    yeah but i would have thought that if you wouldnt be able to afford an expensive wedding and pay the rent then you just wouldnt get an expensive wedding
    Of course. I was just replying to the comment that brides shouldn't worry about the cost of weddings because their husbands will pay for it anyway.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.