Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been speaking to someone that has been thinking about moving to Wales. However, as he is originally from Kyrgyztan and is worried about, in his eyes, discrimination and prejudice in the country.

Is he right to be weary? Are there more multicultured areas than others in which he would feel more comfortable?

Your insight is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    well obviously the city areas will be more multi cultured than the rural areas, but no area in the UK is racsim free im afraid, it just stems from a lack of education. Using my own experience from living in Wales, i wouldnt say its worse than any other area of the UK

ReputationRep:
    I live in Wales and to be honest I have never witnessed severe racism. Don't get me wrong of course you might see the occasional casual racism between some middle aged people getting drunk in a pub but people are generally accepting.

In Cardiff I can't imagine there being any discrimination. Newport where I am from is alaso fairly multi cultural especially in certain areas. Places to avoid are generally the valleys, because from first hand experience they are the more racist areas. Where is he planning on moving?

Hope that helps, don't worry

ReputationRep:
    Nah, the typical Welshman is no more likely to be racist than the typical Englishman. If anything, the Welsh as a whole are much more tolerant of other cultures; the BNP and similar organisations barely touch Wales at all.

Of course, older people are more likely to be xenophobic, but that's true of everywhere, not just Wales. Sadly, it's just how they were brought up.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm Welsh and sometimes I don't feel welcome here because I'm not English and the English are trying to take over the world lol (no offence to English users, I'm actually an eighth English myself apparently lol) and because my English boss who lives in Wales refuses to learn my name simply because it's Welsh. There's many people in the same situation as your friend living here so I'm sure he would be fine, in fact it seems he would probably recieve the same amount of respect (if not more) as a Welsh person.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah probably be fine in Cardiff, don't venture up to the valleys though, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cymraes..)
    Well I'm Welsh and sometimes I don't feel welcome here because I'm not English and the English are trying to take over the world lol (no offence to English users, I'm actually an eighth English myself apparently lol) and because my English boss who lives in Wales refuses to learn my name simply because it's Welsh. There's many people in the same situation as your friend living here so I'm sure he would be fine, in fact it seems he would probably recieve the same amount of respect (if not more) as a Welsh person.
    are you serious?? i find this very hard to believe.
    how are you made to feel not welcome apart from someone not being able to learn your name?

ReputationRep:
    and i dont think that the welsh are any more racist than anyone else. i live in cardiff during term time and it is VERY multi cultural so i wouldnt see a problem with him moving there or any other large city

ReputationRep:
    The big cities - Cardiff, Swansea, Newport - are quite good. The valleys... Oh God. It's like the 30s never left. I've lived in wales for 10 years now, and I don't usually get crap, apart from when I'm in those sodding valleys.

ReputationRep:
    But valleys are racist, in the sense that, they don't like ANYONE else. They would consider me - someone born and brought up in Cardiff, as practically a different race. I remember an ex moved up to the valleys and his house got vandalised constantly, threats through his door, just because he was from Cardiff!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katieloula)
    But valleys are racist, in the sense that, they don't like ANYONE else. They would consider me - someone born and brought up in Cardiff, as practically a different race. I remember an ex moved up to the valleys and his house got vandalised constantly, threats through his door, just because he was from Cardiff!
    haha yes this is true. im english and my nan lives in the valleys. its interesting the reaction you get with an english accent. they seriously need to move into the current century.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    The big cities - Cardiff, Swansea, Newport - are quite good. The valleys... Oh God. It's like the 30s never left. I've lived in wales for 10 years now, and I don't usually get crap, apart from when I'm in those sodding valleys.
    LOL! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Some of my family are from the Welsh valleys, when there with my small cousin (about 9) she actually stopped and pointed at an asian guy in a turban as if in amazement, dont think she'd ever seen someone who wasnt white before. Coming from Birmingham it was quite funny. But yeah - valleys are a bit stuck in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    ... the BNP and similar organisations barely touch Wales at all.
    Well of course they dont!

Plaid Cymru however, do.

ReputationRep:
    I have to agree with everyone else...the cities not so bad...the valleys...you're going to get the racist people who don't like anyone that isn't (wow this is going to sound very harry potter) "pure blood"
    but to be honest it's no different for racism as anywhere...racists are everywhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Why do they give you crap? =/
    The English equivalent of the valleys must be the SW and the NE, by the sounds of it...

ReputationRep:
    I imagine that the Welsh are so fed up of having the piss taken out of them by the English that they'll relish the opportunity to victimise others for where they come from.

ReputationRep:
    The valleys aren't that bad, but i would stay away from them because there's not much to do in them! Swansea wouldn't be that bad because a lot of international students go to the Uni, but Cardiff would be the best place to go really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmeenax)
    Why do they give you crap? =/
    The English equivalent of the valleys must be the SW and the NE, by the sounds of it...
    I'm originally from London. I've got a hint of a Welsh accent, but I do sound English. So there's that which is the main thing. Plus, I hate rugby :p: I used to be friends with a girl who lived in the valleys, and just constantly had the piss taken out of me by her, her friends, her family, and everyone else she seemed to know. Very bloody annoying.

ReputationRep:
    In fairness, arent there quite a few Italian immigrants in the welsh valleys historically? (correct me if im wrong, might be a wrong perception ive picked up)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.