Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Discrimination in Wales?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alphanumeric1927)
    Whatever you do stay away from the valleys. They are hell. I've lived here 16 years and i'm counting down the days till i can go to uni and escape. Not only is it a rasict area but it's a dump.
    IMO Cardiff would be the best bet.
    I went for a random drive to where you're from yesterday and i agree with you, it is a dump!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    I'm originally from London. I've got a hint of a Welsh accent, but I do sound English. So there's that which is the main thing. Plus, I hate rugby :p: I used to be friends with a girl who lived in the valleys, and just constantly had the piss taken out of me by her, her friends, her family, and everyone else she seemed to know. Very bloody annoying.
    That's pathetic!

ReputationRep:
    Bring them a sheep :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadel_L)
    I went for a random drive to where you're from yesterday and i agree with you, it is a dump!
    Why on earth did you do that. Most days i find myself trying to find anyway possible to get away from here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rambo424)
    Bring them a sheep :yep:
    How can that kind of blatent racism be allowed?

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth did you do that. Most days i find myself trying to find anyway possible to get away from here.
    My friend has a slight obsession with the windfarm so and decided to go to Glyncorrwg and we just carried on driving. Its not the first time we've been there either, but it didn't look as bad then because it was in the night and we were lost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toddlers crossword)
    In fairness, arent there quite a few Italian immigrants in the welsh valleys historically? (correct me if im wrong, might be a wrong perception ive picked up)
    Ye but everyone loves Italians!...surely.

The Valleys aren't great, but it's never seemed as bad as people make out and I've spent a fair bit of time in and out of there.
    Can't say he'd have anything to worry about in Cardiff though, as everyone has said it's quite multi-cultural.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadel_L)
    My friend has a slight obsession with the windfarm so and decided to go to Glyncorrwg and we just carried on driving. Its not the first time we've been there either, but it didn't look as bad then because it was in the night and we were lost.
    How far up the valley did you go?

ReputationRep:
    Aww, I thought we were bashing wales.

;[

ReputationRep:
    How far up the valley did you go?
    Well we ended up in Aberdare which isn't much better. There's nothing left there now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toddlers crossword)
    In fairness, arent there quite a few Italian immigrants in the welsh valleys historically? (correct me if im wrong, might be a wrong perception ive picked up)
    You're right. They came over for the mining work, and settled here. Sidoli's ice cream - pretty major company round here, actually - was started by the Italians who came here to start over

ReputationRep:
    My impression has always been that people in the valleys aren't keen on anyone who isn't from the valleys, even if they're Welsh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simeon)
    Well of course they dont!

Plaid Cymru however, do.
    They're not racist though...

for a start, they take the view that anyone who lives in Wales is Welsh... what could be less racist?

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious. People laugh at Plaid Cymru. Hardly anyone takes them seriously.
    Hardly. In the recent EU elections they got only 1% less share of the vote than Labour, 2% less than the Tories.

And, like I just said, they're not racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    They're not racist though...

for a start, they take the view that anyone who lives in Wales is Welsh... what could be less racist?
    I think the owners of the burnt out holiday homes may disagree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simeon)
    I think the owners of the burnt out holiday homes may disagree.
    Uh, what does that have to do with Plaid Cymru?

ReputationRep:
    Wow some nationalists got excited and burnt out a few holiday homes. I was once smacked across the head with a brick for being Welsh.
    I dont condone either but i'm just making sure we get both sides of the story.
    I don't condone it either, but you have to admit smashing someone across the head with a brick is a pretty original form of racism! Did the brick just happen to be lying about, or was he seeking out Welshmen, brick in hand?

ReputationRep:
    are you serious?? i find this very hard to believe.
    how are you made to feel not welcome apart from someone not being able to learn your name?
    Yeah I'm serious. It's not that my boss is unable to learn my name, it's that she refuses to try and my name isn't even hard to pronounce, it's actually a very well known name in my area. It doesn't bother me when people can't pronounce my name, it's my boss' attitude and lack of respect towards me that bothers me. On my first day she asked what my name was and I told her, then she looked kind of disgusted and asked 'Is that Welsh?' I said yes and she replied with 'Oh it doesn't matter then' and two years later she still refers to me as 'the girl' which I find pretty degrading. We sometimes get dirty looks when we speak Welsh. A woman working in my local post office/ newsagents once told me and my friends not to speak Welsh to eachother in the shop because she couldn't understand what we were saying (it was none of her bussiness what we were saying to eachother anyway). Luckily another customer heard her saying this and stood up for us, saying that we have the right to speak Welsh in Wales and that it's her problem if she can't speak Welsh because Welsh is the country's language. It also annoys me that Wales isn't included in the British flag at all and is often refered to as England. There is also the disgusting and degrading nickname of 'sheep-shaggers' which was given to us by the English and regularly used as if it is fine for them to use it. The people who use this nickname would never agree that this is racism. Don't get me wrong, I love my country and it's a wonderful place to live but this is an issue which shouldn't be ignored.

ReputationRep:
    It was at a Wales - England football game. Me and my dad were walking to the stadium when some bloke with a cockney accent came running up behind brick in hand, shouting "have this you Welsh ****" and clobbered me. It hurt alot.
    :eek:

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.