Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if there was anyone in this situation. Having recieved 5 uncondtional offers and hating my subjects in 6th year, I really didnt do very much work and if im honest I would be quite happy never to find out what i got in the 2009 exams. Anyone else feel the same? Good luck tho everyone who needs to get a condtion!

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I always get nervous about them, but I've got a conditional so that may play a part in it, but I think I'm more nervous about beating my friend who took the exact same subjects as me

ReputationRep:
    although not a sixth year leaver myself (going into sixth this year), i think this is why our education system needs a bit of a shake up.

for those that get unconditionals it is practically a wasted year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually really hoping I don't get an unconditional after next year because I got to a private school so if I find out that I got in, the year would already have started and I wouldn't be able to get a refund.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enzo-259)
    I'm actually really hoping I don't get an unconditional after next year because I got to a private school so if I find out that I got in, the year would already have started and I wouldn't be able to get a refund.
    :confused: You could have applied for a conditional this year if this was a significant issue.

Assuming you get the minimum entry requirements this year and apply to a Scottish university for first-year entry, it's virtually certain that you'll get an unconditional (or nothing at all). If you want motivation, and to get a year 'back' as it were, you can always apply to England or for second-year entry.

ReputationRep:
    I was like that last year. It was quite annoying because it was a totally wasted year for me. When i found out i had the unconditional i just didn't bother doing any work but also didn't really want to leave because it was already well over halfway through the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    although not a sixth year leaver myself (going into sixth this year), i think this is why our education system needs a bit of a shake up.

for those that get unconditionals it is practically a wasted year.
    It doesn't have to be. Although I recognise there isn't as much incentive, having a fulfilling year for it's own sake can be pretty rewarding. Just because you don't need to stretch yourself, doesn't mean you shouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    It doesn't have to be. Although I recognise there isn't as much incentive, having a fulfilling year for it's own sake can be pretty rewarding. Just because you don't need to stretch yourself, doesn't mean you shouldn't.
    its a hell of a lot harder to stretch yourself when you know you won't have to though.

i see you need your AHs this year for second year entry i assume? how many people roughly would you say go for second year entry into scottish universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    its a hell of a lot harder to stretch yourself when you know you won't have to though.

i see you need your AHs this year for second year entry i assume? how many people roughly would you say go for second year entry into scottish universities?
    Definitely, but if you want to make something of the year you have to be proactive. That doesn't just apply to academics. Same goes with life after school really.

Well it's only science really that you can do it for, but for my course more than half of everyone does second year entry. 2 people from my school are doing 2nd year entry and 1 is going to England (which I take to be equivalent) out of probably more than 100 if you include people who left but are still going to uni.

ReputationRep:
    Id be happy enough not knowing.

ReputationRep:
    I really want to know, because although I don't have a conditional offer on my AHs, I still worked fairly consistently throughout the year (though maybe not as diligently as in S5) and I'm really curious to find out how I did. I'd really hate to not find out -then there would really be no point in trying.
    I'll probably go in and get investigation marks etc. as well, but that's probably just me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akj08)
    I really want to know, because although I don't have a conditional offer on my AHs, I still worked fairly consistently throughout the year (though maybe not as diligently as in S5) and I'm really curious to find out how I did. I'd really hate to not find out -then there would really be no point in trying.
    I'll probably go in and get investigation marks etc. as well, but that's probably just me
    Me too :p:

ReputationRep:
    My brother

ReputationRep:
    I'm absolutely terrified

Although I have a plan:
    collect results envelope on morning of results day, go out clubbing on the evening and get wasted, open results when drunk, laugh at string of (expected) Ds with other drunk friends :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Im not bothered tbh, wasted three years, hated the idea of uni so i got an apprenticeship, with a guaranteed job after three years, sort of feel sorry for friends who will leave with loads of debt and nothing guaranteed after but all the best to everyone

ReputationRep:
    I found that most people with unconditionals in my year group didn't care about their exams and spent the year messing around. Unfortunately that tended to annoy the people who had conditionals (like myself) and we were actually worried that we wouldn't finish some of the courses on time because of all of the messing around.
    I think that in general people with conditionals will be worried (personally I am petrified of results day, but want to get it over and done with) and those with unconditionals will want good grades but in the end it won't matter for them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too bothered, just hoping I don't fail any. I'm re-applying for uni again this year.

I worked fairly hard during 6th year, but not half as much as I did last year :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Not fussed in the slightest. Firmed an unconditional at my first choice at Christmas time and been dossing about ever since.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    Me too :p:
    Good to know I'm not the only one!
    We send the investigations off with not really a lot of idea about how we've done, unlike in the exams where you can kind of predict your mark. After doing a substantial project like the investigations I'd hate to not know what I got!

ReputationRep:
    i don't wanna know...i agree with everything in your thread...!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.