Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hello, I am very interested in the straight anthropology course at LSE, but am concerned about where that would take me career-wise. I have done work experience in a solicitor's office and have a good contact to get more in a top media law firm in London.

My question is, am I qualified well enough to get a place on the law and anthropology joint course? I would be applying elsewhere for anthropology or anthropology and archaeology (Cambridge), so would this be a problem in the personal statement.

Alternatively, would it be possible to start an anthropology degree, and switch to an anthropology and law degree (or tell them before)?

I did drama, history, and R.S at A level, with critical thinking AEA. Plus music and critical thinking AS. So far all my modules have been high A's, and i'm hoping for similar stuff on results day. My gcses were 4 A* and 6 A's...

Thanks for any reply!

ReputationRep:
    I would say that if you are applying for Law and Anthropology without a single mention of Law in your PS, you will be at a great disadvantage because they will want to see why you are applying for the joint degree. I don't know of anyone in straight anthropology this year who swapped to Law/Anthro because there are 2 Law courses in the first year that you would need to catch up on, so you'd have to swap pretty fast, however thats not to say it isn't possible. Why are you worried about the careers aspect, when you are applying for Anthropology everywhere else?

ReputationRep:
    why cant you just do a GDA after your anthropology degree?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mypaperheart)
    Why are you worried about the careers aspect, when you are applying for Anthropology everywhere else?
    Because I think LSE is the most likely place for me to go - I'm sure I will get better than their standard offer of ABB in August. And the anthropology/law degree their is pretty unique. If I were to switch courses somewhere it would be there. So hopefully it would be possible to contact them before I arrive and change.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't reccommend applying somewhere knowing that at a later date you will want to change courses, the other course might be full which means that they won't let you change. Just apply for Anthropology and Law and try and get a sentence or two in subtly about your interest in Law.

ReputationRep:
    I'm straight anthro @ LSE with the long term prospects of going into law. My personal statement mention my interest in anthropology and how it could provide a solid foundation for future studies in law. You can try and do something like that?

It is true that you can't not mention law at all, being that it is a joint course, but the LSE will recognize that they are one of the few, if not only, schools to offer that exact course.

(Hi Rose!)

ReputationRep:
    I think you have to question your interests in Law, and if you are seriously considering it as an option for your future life. A conversion course is certainly a very popular option if you are mainly interested in Anthropology now but aren't sure about Law in the long term. However, it is generally regarded as much harder to move from Anthropology to Anthropology & Law; in fact all if not a majority of people who move courses do it the other way around. This year, someone doing straight law changed to straight anthropology!

If you are interested in law however, and are prepared to study it as half of your degree for three years then I suggest you go for the joint degree. It's excellent and gives you plenty of choices! Just don't pick something that you aren't sure about studying and then end up dropping out at all due to dissinterest.

Btw, for you guys, this is José
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I got in! Yaaaaaaaay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-o dore)
    I got in! Yaaaaaaaay
    :woo: did you send your ucas off before the 15th Oct by any chance? I applied for anthropology and law at lse as well!! ahhhhh i'm soooo scared! x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rachkyp)
    :woo: did you send your ucas off before the 15th Oct by any chance? I applied for anthropology and law at lse as well!! ahhhhh i'm soooo scared! x
    Yeah I sent it on around the 25th of september... and its for social anthropology and not the joint course (although Im temped to switch)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-o dore)
    Yeah I sent it on around the 25th of september... and its for social anthropology and not the joint course (although Im temped to switch)
    the wait is killing me! sorry i havent had the time to go on tsr, been soooo busy at college! are you allowed to switch though..? don't you need to re-apply or something for that? :s x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    the wait is killing me! sorry i havent had the time to go on tsr, been soooo busy at college! are you allowed to switch though..? don't you need to re-apply or something for that? :s x
    Im going to reject my LSE offer, Cambridge gave me one :p: You can have it!

ReputationRep:
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! let's swap places?!?! got an offer from warwick today and another from manchester a while back! both ABBs haha- i'm soooo over lse! is it a straight law course for cambridge? x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! let's swap places?!?! got an offer from warwick today and another from manchester a while back! both ABBs haha- i'm soooo over lse! is it a straight law course for cambridge? x
    I never applied for any law courses! Im doing anthropology!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 8, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.