Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does work ruin your social life? Watch

ReputationRep:
    A friend who lives away from home came into my work today and asked if i was out in our town tonight, so I said something along the lines of " Oh I didn't know anyone was out tonight, I got work at 9am tomorrow" and she was like "so..."
    I don't know whether I'm just being a saddo for not going out, but I do have to be up at 6:45, which I thought would be understandable, especially as nights out here go on til like 4/5am.
    I have been trying to build up my social life again here at home and feel like this is a kick in the teeth. I would really really love to go out but I have responsabilities and if I had known about tonight I could have swapped for a later shift.
    Does anyone else find themselves in situation like this?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I work Friday until 8, by which time everyone has been out for an hour or so and starting drinking and having a good time without me. Being at work usually puts me in a foul mood to the point where I can't even be bothered going out after I've been freed.

I work Sundays as well and have to set off at 9am to get there on time, so this limits my Saturday night fun as well. I rarely go out on a night at weekends any more because I can't get myself out of bed and to work on time if I've been out, and I've been warned about it already. Also, work + hangover = :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    As long as your not doing it all of the time its not a problem, im sure your friend will understand, if all she said was "so..." then thats not too bad. Iv got mates that beg and beg until i have to go out just to shut them up!

ReputationRep:
    Didn't read all the stuff in the post. But this is the reason I quit my job. I figure I'm going to be in debt at the end of my degree weather or not I have a job. May as well as enjoy my last couple of months of absolute freedom while I can!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Meh...work is my social life at the moment as I lose 3 hours a day travelling

A few drinks after work = 20hour day. Not good when you've got to be up before 7am the following morning.

ReputationRep:
    I work 9-5:30, but due to my commute I'm busy travelling + working from 7am to pm every day, and I'm missing meet-ups with my Sixth form and Uni mates, which is a really lamentable, but I'm trying to compensate with Faceook messages and texts, as well as weekend meet-ups. It's not quite the same, but I think as long as everyone's making an effort, no true friendship will ever break.

ReputationRep:
    It has diminished it to a certain extent. I work Saturday's and Sunday's so I can't get bladdered on the Saturday night because I have work at x time on Sunday.

A lot of my mates are in the same position though so we usually go out on a Thursday or a Tuesday night. Student nights ftw ^^

ReputationRep:
    A lot of my close mates have moved on from our home town and i've only just come back from my first year of uni , so I didn't really expect to be out on the piss every friday night like i used to.I work every sat and sun and then some odd shifts here and there during the week, so i kinda plan ahead if i wanna be out the night before otherwise i get the ungodly hour shift.
    I'm glad to see i'm not the only one being super cool and not going out tho =/

ReputationRep:
    it does to an extent. I'm the type of person where I can work and go out and still manage to wake up the next day.
    For example I remember 1 weekend last year: Sunday I worked 8 hours, Sunday night I went out got back at 4am, Monday I got to work for 10 then worked 8 hours went out that evening and got back at 3am, Tuesday I got to work for 10 and worked 8 hours again. It is possible and I got to work early lol.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to LIFE people............... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No. I work 5 days a week and go out almost every day a week. After work I will meet my friends and do something with them. I go to the gym as well as doing this and occasionally I get time for TSR. Its just a matter of getting yourself fit so your not exhausted after a day of work and eating healthy so you have energy. I try and get 8 hours sleep a night but don't always manage it. If your on a night out and you get bad hangovers then don't drink, you can have fun without drinking and you save money. Also if your worried about sleep leave early. You don't need to stay till 3/4am, meet your friends stay for a few hours then go home and get a few hours sleep before work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by questionmark)
    it does to an extent. I'm the type of person where I can work and go out and still manage to wake up the next day.
    For example I remember 1 weekend last year: Sunday I worked 8 hours, Sunday night I went out got back at 4am, Monday I got to work for 10 then worked 8 hours went out that evening and got back at 3am, Tuesday I got to work for 10 and worked 8 hours again. It is possible and I got to work early lol.
    I know it's possible cos I used to do it a few years back, but i'm older and less hardcore now ha
    I wouldn't mind going out tonight if i had a later shift, like starting at 11/12 cos then i could get home at 4 and not get up til like 9, which would be manageable. I have had seizures from nights out when ive not had enough sleep and drunk too much, which is why i plan ahead and everything is dandy then.

ReputationRep:
    This week I have been so dull.

Worked all week in a jewellers, then working afternoon - evening in my normal place of work ...

I went out Thursday night, but not tonight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindrop87)
    I don't know whether I'm just being a saddo for not going out, but I do have to be up at 6:45, which I thought would be understandable, especially as nights out here go on til like 4/5am.
    Leave at 12 midnight... because you have work in the morning if they ask and it bugs you that much just go out till then.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes yeah. Mostly we work around it and we go somewhere that's local or don't stay out too late. There was supposed to be a gig on yesterday (got cancelled as it was open air and there have been thunderstorms all week) but it didn't start til 10 and it's an hour's drive back home. We all start work at 8-half 8 and loads of us felt like losers for turning it down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Welcome to LIFE people............... :rolleyes:
    Exactly correct my friend. If you dont work you CANT have a social life at all, where would your money come from? You have to find a balance.

ReputationRep:
    It can ruin your social life, it did mine cos I was at college all week then worked all weekend and some weeknights but at the same time, I'm never the one whinging about being overdrawn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dude55)
    Exactly correct my friend. If you dont work you CANT have a social life at all, where would your money come from? You have to find a balance.
    It's not like I don't leave the house when i get home from work, I'll go to the cinema and visit friends for a local drink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindrop87)
    It's not like I don't leave the house when i get home from work, I'll go to the cinema and visit friends for a local drink.
    I work alot just like you. I spend 30 hours in the office each week - 6pm to 1am on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and 8 till 5 on Sundays. That's while pursuing a full-time degree. Theoretically I'm free on a Saturday night but invariably I have study to catch up on and societies to manage and the next week to sort out. If I did go out I'd still have to be in a fit state to turn up at work on the bus at 7:30am for another 9 hours in the office which would be tough.

So obviously I can't really socialize much apart from online but that will hopefully change after graduation!

squish.

ReputationRep:
    meh, i manage both - im currently working 9-6 on weekdays and have to be up at 7am, i still manage to be out almost every night (clubbing, hanging out with friends, cinema, etc). occasionally have weekends free as thats when most of my friends work, but most of the time we arrange a chill out session like a movie night or something.
    Even when i worked nights at a pub, i still made the effort to go out after the pub had closed, its just a case of making sure you juggle everything well and dont over do yourself.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.