Turn on thread page Beta

transfer £40 to someone on paypal - help please! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi I need to transfer £40 to someone over paypal, it's for a friend of a friend, problem is I don't know this guy I'm just doing it for my friend, is there anyway he can rip me off once he's got my details off paypal?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Hi I need to transfer £40 to someone over paypal, it's for a friend of a friend, problem is I don't know this guy I'm just doing it for my friend, is there anyway he can rip me off once he's got my details off paypal?

Thanks.
    Almost certainly not - huge numbers of people use PayPal regularly without any problems.

Unlikely, but if you are worried then don't do it.

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    no - the only details he will get will be your name and the email address that you use with paypal.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I feel a bit better now, thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    Use me as a middleman.

ReputationRep:
    Short answer: No.

That's the point of PayPal - people you send money to do not get any personal details of yours besides your name and email address. This makes it safer than, say paying by credit card where once your number is disclosed, they can go on a spending spree which you'll have to clean up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Short answer: No.

That's the point of PayPal - people you send money to do not get any personal details of yours besides your name and email address. This makes it safer than, say paying by credit card where once your number is disclosed, they can go on a spending spree which you'll have to clean up.
    Oh ok, that's awesome. Thanks for explaining.

Is paypal safer than a bank transfer then?

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok, that's awesome. Thanks for explaining.

Is paypal safer than a bank transfer then?
    Yes and no.

For the purpose of a one-off, £40 payment - PayPal is much safer and easier.

There are other transactions, particular continuous payments and subscriptions to recognised companies, where bank transfers would be safer due to the protection the bank offers, which PayPal cannot (remember, PayPal is not legally a bank). However, that requires you to go in store and complete the transfer properly so for a one-off payment, use PayPal confidently. :yes:

If you have any other PayPal related queries, feel free to ask and I can guide you through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Yes and no.

For the purpose of a one-off, £40 payment - PayPal is much safer and easier.

There are other transactions, particular continuous payments and subscriptions to recognised companies, where bank transfers would be safer due to the protection the bank offers, which PayPal cannot (remember, PayPal is not legally a bank). However, that requires you to go in store and complete the transfer properly so for a one-off payment, use PayPal confidently. :yes:

If you have any other PayPal related queries, feel free to ask and I can guide you through.
    Ok I see. Thanks!

Rep for you after midnight
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Jooeee)
    Use me as a middleman.
    :awesome:

But yes, there aren't too many issues with PayPal, except that if you send £30 it's likely that £30 won't be received after fees.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 24, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.