Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just now I decided to find out what my resting pulse rate is (I've been sitting down a while) it was 47! Is this good or bad?

Also earlier today before I started Spinning my heart rate was 60 -65 (I was wearing a heart rate monitor). I had been moving around a bit before then.

Is it good to have a low heart rate or should it be a bit higher?

ReputationRep:
    I just had 61 then 77. Dunno if that's normal or not ?
    47 seems really low.

ReputationRep:
    47 is hyper low. Anything below 55 starts to cause concerns typically. 60 is extremely good though.

ReputationRep:
    Lol... first time i did it was like 47 too, then i did it again and it was 69 lmao haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polka_dott)
    Just now I decided to find out what my resting pulse rate is (I've been sitting down a while) it was 47! Is this good or bad?

Also earlier today before I started Spinning my heart rate was 60 -65 (I was wearing a heart rate monitor). I had been moving around a bit before then.

Is it good to have a low heart rate or should it be a bit higher?
    47 is very low for non-athletes. 60-100 is normal range.

57 here. It's always been below average.

ReputationRep:
    56 first go

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends what your max heart rate is. I tested my resting in winter and it was in the low 50s.

ReputationRep:
    I have reccently been going Spinning 4x a week.... during that my heart rate can go up to 180 and it starts off at 60-65 but that is from when I have been moving around and kinda rushed to get there..

ReputationRep:
    i really struggle to feel my pusle.

Think i got 60 and then 70 though which seems average.

ReputationRep:
    66 :d

ReputationRep:
    50, but i also have a heart murmur.. Which apparently slows it down slightly

ReputationRep:
    47 is world class athlete territory.

I'd be sceptical.

Also be wary of heart rate monitors, cheap ones are notoriously inaccurate.

ReputationRep:
    56 here, got it measured on a heart monitor. I've always had a below average heart rate though due to the exercise that I do.

ReputationRep:
    47?!

Mines 65 atm, but im not fully at rest, sure you took it right OP?

ReputationRep:
    wtf? TSR seems to have some silly fit people. The normal range is 60-100 yet almost everyone is 50-70?

(Original post by Subcutaneous)
    47?!

Mines 65 atm, but im not fully at rest, sure you took it right OP?
    Are you sure? I can't imagine you're very fit, no offence.

ReputationRep:
    I just put my HR monitor on for a minute and it hovered around 68bpm. My heart rate is weird though - I can spend an hour at 170 yet have never seen it above 190.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    wtf? TSR seems to have some silly fit people. The normal range is 60-100 yet almost everyone is 50-70?

Are you sure? I can't imagine you're very fit, no offence.

im sure, my job is to take pulses everyday think i can take my own...

and the resting pulse is different for everyone, its not dependant on fitness, its how high it goes during excercise or exertion thats important. When i'm running or on the cross trainer my pulse tends to go up to around 170/180 during on my monitor

and I am offended thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    im sure, my job is to take pulses everyday think i can take my own...

and the resting pulse is different for everyone, its not dependant on fitness, its how high it goes during excercise or exertion thats important

and I am offended thanks
    Alright, I was just asking. I know recovery heart rate's a better measure of fitness, but RHR is a general indicator of health, overweight people generally have higher RHRs because the heart has to work harder. Why are you offended? You've freely admitted that you're overweight and don't often exercise.

And thanks for the info, but no need to force the fact that you're (not) a nurse down my throat like you seem to feel the need to in so many other threads. I already know.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I was just asking. I know recovery heart rate's a better measure of fitness, but RHR is a general indicator of health, overweight people generally have higher RHRs because the heart has to work harder. Why are you offended? You've freely admitted that you're overweight and don't often exercise.

And thanks for the info, but no need to force the fact that you're (not) a nurse down my throat like you seem to feel the need to in so many other threads. I already know.
    Some people simply have a higher/lower resting heart rate that cannot be attributed to any specific cause. Many scientific studies have shown that a resting heart rate really isn’t an effective way of measuring the health of a person, but they do say anything about 90-100 to seek medical advice.

I do often excercise, 4 times a week, and i was on about my job as a hca...so don't jump to assumptions which you seem to often do

ReputationRep:
    47 does seem too low. Although you have to remember it's not a fair sample from TSR really, most people who will have done this will be more interested in fitness etc. and those other posts won't bother in the thread.

Can't remember mine, think it was 56 but then I do alot of exercise. I'm sure if we sampled all the people it'd be a true reflection!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.