Turn on thread page Beta

Resting pulse rate? watch

ReputationRep:
    we needa poll!

im 68 btw, which i guess is ok.

ReputationRep:
    Had a few above 60, a few 60 and a few below 60. 58-62 seems about my range.

(Original post by Mattw89)
    47 does seem too low. Although you have to remember it's not a fair sample from TSR really, most people who will have done this will be more interested in fitness etc. and those other posts won't bother in the thread.

Can't remember mine, think it was 56 but then I do alot of exercise. I'm sure if we sampled all the people it'd be a true reflection!
    Are people aware that an RHR of below 60 in anyone other than a top/very fit athlete can be a sign of (well is, technically) bradycardia or an arrhythmia?

ReputationRep:
    I just got 50.

Although come to think of it im sure i was told i had a low heart rate and a low blood pressure by the doc last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Had a few above 60, a few 60 and a few below 60. 58-62 seems about my range.

Are people aware that an RHR of below 60 in anyone other than a top/very fit athlete can be a sign of (well is, technically) bradycardia or an arrhythmia?
    Where I've looked high 50's are fine for the 18-25 age group, if your a keen sportsperson etc. Often regarded as an athletic person etc. Yours is high 50's at time and same here, I think the person who posted mid 40's could suffer from one of them, but more likely they've just done it wrong.

High 50's for 18-25 I don't think is that much to worry about though if your a person who's doing a few hours of exercises a day etc. Although I'm no top athlete I certainly do alot of exercise that would justify a good resting heart rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    so don't jump to assumptions which you seem to often do
    calm down dear!!!!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    I got 64, don't know if that's good or not though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattw89)
    Where I've looked high 50's are fine for the 18-25 age group, if your a keen sportsperson etc. Often regarded as an athletic person etc. Yours is high 50's at time and same here, I think the person who posted mid 40's could suffer from one of them, but more likely they've just done it wrong.

High 50's for 18-25 I don't think is that much to worry about though if your a person who's doing a few hours of exercises a day etc. Although I'm no top athlete I certainly do alot of exercise that would justify a good resting heart rate.
    Well it'd be accompanied by other symptoms of course. I'm just saying, people seem to think having an über low HR is something to be proud of, not always the case. Obviously just under 60's nothing to worry about for someone exercising a fair bit.

ReputationRep:
    Mine seems to be around 60-72, although it's hardly what I'd call accurate measuring.
    Does anyone else seem to have a really pronounced sinus arrhythmia. I don't really know what the norm is, but mine just seems quite....strong....if that makes any sense?

When I was about 14, I had ventricular tachycardia which caused my heart rate to stay at 120+ for hours and hours after exercise. It's sorted now, but it was pretty wierd having a resting heart rate of 160 for an afternoon or two. :P

ReputationRep:
    48-50 , according to my Polar F6.

ReputationRep:
    I was just reading the Wikipedia article on Lance Armstrong:

(Original post by Wikipedia)
    He has a resting heart rate of 32-34 beats per minute
    WHAT THE HELL MAN?

In any case, I really need to get mine under 60. Nothing wrong with 68 but I'm supposed to be turning myself into a road cyclist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Some people simply have a higher/lower resting heart rate that cannot be attributed to any specific cause. Many scientific studies have shown that a resting heart rate really isn’t an effective way of measuring the health of a person, but they do say anything about 90-100 to seek medical advice.

I do often excercise, 4 times a week, and i was on about my job as a hca...so don't jump to assumptions which you seem to often do
    Boys and girls, don't listen to this jumped up character please. She's a HCA, so what. You can train a monkey to take a pulse.

CV fitness does lead to a decreased RHR which is a sign of an increased stroke volume, leading to a decrease in hr to maintain a constant cardiac output. Less resistance in arteries over time. Also, gas exchange in the lungs becomes more efficient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Boys and girls, don't listen to this jumped up character please. She's a HCA, so what. You can train a monkey to take a pulse.

CV fitness does lead to a decreased RHR which is a sign of an increased stroke volume, leading to a decrease in hr to maintain a constant cardiac output. Less resistance in arteries over time. Also, gas exchange in the lungs becomes more efficient.
    In addition, from a layman's perspective it would be very difficult to reconcile the very obvious link between performing at a high level in endurance sports and having a low RHR with the lack of a link between RHR and cardiovascular fitness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    In addition, from a layman's perspective it would be very difficult to reconcile the very obvious link between performing at a high level in endurance sports and having a low RHR with the lack of a link between RHR and cardiovascular fitness.
    Exactly. Don't let the noobs bring you down!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.