Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What is the AS Practical examination?? What does it involve and how much is it worth to the course??. Also is the AS chemistry exam hand??

Which exam board is it for?

ReputationRep:
    The AS practical assessment is worth 20% of the AS and 10% of the entire A-level, on the 2008+ syllabus on any exam board - though it's worth checking on the official exam board's website to be sure.

It is very easy, and involves several assessed practical exams and write-ups where you're marked on method and accuracy. So you can gain most marks by knowing what to do - which you should know for the written exams anyway - and the remaining marks can be gained by carrying out the practicals carefully and producing accurate results.

Shows what I know

ReputationRep:
    Depends which exam board but for edexcel it's worth 50% of unit 3 and 50% of unit 6. The experiments you do will vary according to your college but your teacher can help and you can use books. They basically grade your manipulation of apparatus, accuracy of your results and some other stuff which I can't remember lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming you asked whether its hard in your last question? Everyone would give different answers in response. I personally found it difficult to a certain degree but if you coped really well with GCSEs breezing through with an A* for chem and maths its safe to say you'll so alight at AS as long as you work.
    As for what the practicals involves, it will vary across exam boards. OCR salters it involved doing a titration + a short question paper to go with it and another practical which I can't on the life of me remember but the paper was about concentrations of solutions. (May have been another titration...)
    You are marked on your ability to carry out the experiment safely, the accuracy of your results and how you do on the paper which follows it.

ReputationRep:
    It's usually not too hard at all. I did a different syllabus to what you will be doing, but for mine you were given a reserach task thing to do as part of it. This would involve describing how to carry out a certain experiment to test a hypothesis. Although the real practical would not be exactly this, they would be very closely related, so you could know roughly what you have to do before you get in the lab.

Almost always AS chemistry practicals involve acid / base titrations...because they're easy!

ReputationRep:
    thnx everyone, but how hard is the AS chemistry exam is hand ?? Oh its the AQA exam board

ReputationRep:
    The question is pointless without an exam board to relate it to.

ReputationRep:
    With AQA it is 20% of your AS and the practical itself is extremely easy and the exam with it is also easy. It's very similar to unit 1 ><

ReputationRep:
    Well in my opinion (and Im on the old syllabus), if your willing to put the work in, you should find it ok. If you dont then you will struggle.

The written exams are fair, they're fairly clear in what they want, and once you've been through past papers you see a trend in what they'll ask you.

As for the Prac, I can't say how difficult it is as we took CHM3/C rather than CHM3/P which meant we did the coursework option instead, but from what Ive heard, provided you've done enough titrations and organic synteses, you should be fine (that said Im going into 3rd year of a Chem degree and still havent perfected titrations)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ethan_L)
    thnx everyone, but how hard is the AS chemistry exam is hand ??
    it's hard
    it was my hardest exam out of english lit, physics, and a level maths

(Original post by BrightGirl)
    it's hard
    it was my hardest exam out of english lit, physics, and a level maths
    Individual opinion varies, but overall most people consider it to be amongst the most difficult A-levels :yep:

I certainly found it challenging when I did A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    Individual opinion varies, but overall most people consider it to be amongst the most difficult A-levels :yep:

I certainly found it challenging when I did A-levels.
    i don't think i know anyone in my class who finds it easy.
    gcse doesn't prepare you properly for it at all. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm supposed to be doing the new edexcel AS chemestry course, but the edexcel website is really crappy, so can you please tell me the weighting of the exams(coursework etc.) and if it is done in modules or as a fat exam at the end of the year

many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Basically the same as a chem GCSE ISA, but harder obviously That's what I was told anyway.

ReputationRep:
    iv just done AS chem this year and im on OCR
    the coursework was worth 20%. we did lots of different ones and they took our best. We just got a sheet of instructions , followed then and then filled in a test about how the practical went and what we found out etc.
    as to weather chemisrty is hard , its just a lot to learn and remeber i found it the hardest out ofmy subjects ( maths , further maths , physics and chem ) but it could be because i have a more mathamatical brain, so it depends who you are, but with hard work its definatly do able

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion the hardest A-level. I have taken physics and mathematics aswell. You will be fine if you review what you have done during the day in Chemistry just to keep on top of your work. If you don't you'll find it extremely hard!

ReputationRep:
    I do Salters Chem on OCR... AS practicals are similar to GCSE ISAs, but you have to do an observation practical, then test on it, and do a titration (just a normal one, not a back one or anything) and then questions and calculations on it. That's worth 15%.

For A2, you do an individual investigation (I've just started mine, I'm preparing aspirin and working out the purity) and it takes ages, but it's quite interesting, although difficult! That's worth 15%, too.

It's a hard A level, but it's useful and can be interesting (:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 25, 2009

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.