Turn on thread page Beta

Antiperspirant that doesn't cause cancer and is fragrance free? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wondering if anyone knows of an antiperspirant that doesn't cause cancer, and is fragrance free, so I can wear aftershave over it?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Boots do an unfragranced one and its brilliant. Bought it a few days ago and it really works for me, most others don't work a bit.

Its called "Boots Expert ultra dry antiperspirant deoderant unfragranced", bit of a mouthful! Its £2.99 for a small stick.

ReputationRep:
    There is one called Rock, you can buy it from Boots and stuff, I think it's about £4
    http://www.crystaldeodorantprotection.com/

ReputationRep:
    It causes cancer?

I feel like i've missed something.

ReputationRep:
    The aluminium in the cans gets into your pores and causes cancer and alzheimers. And thanks loads RJ555, Rep'd you!

ReputationRep:
    Eeek, can't recommend a product sorry, but the whole cancer thing has freaked me out a little, I'd never heard that before...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hexasol)
    It causes cancer?

Haven't you heard? Absolutely everything causes cancer these days :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellynubbin)
    Eeek, can't recommend a product sorry, but the whole cancer thing has freaked me out a little, I'd never heard that before...
    Probably because it's ********. If there was a serious risk from it we would know about it by now. Hell, even the tiniest risk and it would be all over the front page of the tabloids...but it hasn't.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, I used to use a brand called Bionsen. They have some fantastic, all natural stuff made from minerals (y)

Nowadays I just use Dove :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I've heard about the cancer risk, but I usually go back to using the old aluminium *shrug*. I can't find any alternatives that actually work. May have a look at this boots thing though.

ReputationRep:
    Lush do deoderants which are totally natural.

ReputationRep:
    There is no conclusive research linking the use of underarm antiperspirants or deodorants and the subsequent development of breast cancer
    Unless you're a blokey-lady OP, you have no worry.
    And even women don't need to worry about the cancer xD

ReputationRep:
    men can get breast cancer actually.
    not that it makes any difference really if there's no proven link between the two things.

ReputationRep:
    Coconut by Lush is good

It does, however, smell of coconuts! I sweat less using that than I do when I use anti-perspirant

ReputationRep:
    People... stop listening to urban myths and do some research.

Quoted from the Alzheimer's Society website:
    "The overwhelming medical and scientific opinion is that the findings outlined above do not convincingly demonstrate a causal relationship between aluminium and Alzheimer's disease, and that no useful medical or public health recommendations can be made − at least at present (Massey and Taylor 1989)."

Link: http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/406

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. After doing some research, it turns out studies have been inconclusive.

I think I'll still get the Boots thing though, since I need something with no fragrance, and none of the tests actually said it couldn't be true.
    (Original post by hobo06)
    Probably because it's ********. If there was a serious risk from it we would know about it by now. Hell, even the tiniest risk and it would be all over the front page of the tabloids...but it hasn't.
    Actually, it was in the pages of many newspapers in the past few years, definitely page 2 a few times. And just because something's featured on the news, doesn't mean people will stop using it. Talcum powder's been linked to ovarian cancer, with conclusive evidence, and been on the news, but people still use it...
    Men can still get it, although it's rare:

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=5075

And yeah, just did my research, fair point.

EDIT: to above poster, I did find that before you posted that, but I was busy quoting and replying to other posts etc.

ReputationRep:
    Everything causes cancer, if you avoid it by not using particular antiperspirants, fate will probably just come and smack you and provide cancer from some other source.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeTSR)
    EDIT: to above poster, I did find that before you posted that, but I was busy quoting and replying to other posts etc.
    mmk. Sorry that I wasted my time posting, I should have used my powers of predicting the future posts on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    mmk. Sorry that I wasted my time posting, I should have used my powers of predicting the future posts on TSR.
    Haha, sorry, wasn't trying to one-up you, just defending myself against the people who would have made echo comments otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    It causes cancer?

Probably another one of these moronic things people come out with, you know the whole 'breathing gives you cancer' crap. Just ignore it, the less you think about these things the better!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.