Turn on thread page Beta

Weird tongue after pineapple and kiwi fruit??? watch

ReputationRep:
    Does your tongue feel weird after you eat pineapples and kiwi fruits ...or is it just me ???

ReputationRep:
    It's the acid I think.

ReputationRep:
    not my tongue, but if I eat too much pineapple the inside of my mouth really stings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toddlers crossword)
    not my tongue, but if I eat too much pineapple the inside of my mouth really stings.
    im eating it right now n im getting a kinda build up of sting but i love it so much lol (the pineapple i mean)

ReputationRep:
    I get that with kiwi... not pineapple, though o.o

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i get that with both fruits its a metallically taste after eating it, yucky yuck puts me right off it

ReputationRep:
    Pineapple has an enzyme in it that's often used in meat tenderisers. It can make your mouth feel all funny.

I kind of like the feeling as long as it's not too strong. I love pineapple.

ReputationRep:
    yeah.. I do with pineapple sometimes

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes. The yumminess of the fruit makes it all worthwhile though!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I get it with kiwi! My tongue kind of swells as well and the stingy tingly thing gets so intense I end up flapping around going mad, lol, I can't really eat them anymore because of it

ReputationRep:
    Its called Oral Allergy Symdrome. Google it.

ReputationRep:
    I get it too..especially with pineapple. Very annoying

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it with kiwi, but I never eat that much of it. Pineapple kills me, though! When I just sit there and eat a whole pineapple, feeling all healthy and stuff... then get punished

ReputationRep:
    yuckk i can't eat pineapple cos of it, its like a gross fuzzy feeling on my tongue, its horrible! blech

ReputationRep:
    I get it with pineapple. It doesn't feel too bad though, and pineapple tastes so good that I almost completely manage to ignore the weird feeling in my mouth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Sometimes. The yumminess of the fruit makes it all worthwhile though!
    +1

the sensation isnt as bad as drinking orange juice after brushing you teeth is it?

ReputationRep:
    Pineapples and kiwis both contain enzymes that eat proteins. This helps tenderise meat. THe feeling you are getting is the enzymes attacking you flesh.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.