Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Weird tongue after pineapple and kiwi fruit??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does your tongue feel weird after you eat pineapples and kiwi fruits ...or is it just me ???

ReputationRep:
    It's the acid I think.

ReputationRep:
    not my tongue, but if I eat too much pineapple the inside of my mouth really stings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toddlers crossword)
    not my tongue, but if I eat too much pineapple the inside of my mouth really stings.
    im eating it right now n im getting a kinda build up of sting but i love it so much lol (the pineapple i mean)

ReputationRep:
    I get that with kiwi... not pineapple, though o.o

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i get that with both fruits its a metallically taste after eating it, yucky yuck puts me right off it

ReputationRep:
    Pineapple has an enzyme in it that's often used in meat tenderisers. It can make your mouth feel all funny.

I kind of like the feeling as long as it's not too strong. I love pineapple.

ReputationRep:
    yeah.. I do with pineapple sometimes

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes. The yumminess of the fruit makes it all worthwhile though!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I get it with kiwi! My tongue kind of swells as well and the stingy tingly thing gets so intense I end up flapping around going mad, lol, I can't really eat them anymore because of it

ReputationRep:
    Its called Oral Allergy Symdrome. Google it.

ReputationRep:
    I get it too..especially with pineapple. Very annoying

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it with kiwi, but I never eat that much of it. Pineapple kills me, though! When I just sit there and eat a whole pineapple, feeling all healthy and stuff... then get punished

ReputationRep:
    yuckk i can't eat pineapple cos of it, its like a gross fuzzy feeling on my tongue, its horrible! blech

ReputationRep:
    I get it with pineapple. It doesn't feel too bad though, and pineapple tastes so good that I almost completely manage to ignore the weird feeling in my mouth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Sometimes. The yumminess of the fruit makes it all worthwhile though!
    +1

the sensation isnt as bad as drinking orange juice after brushing you teeth is it?

ReputationRep:
    Pineapples and kiwis both contain enzymes that eat proteins. This helps tenderise meat. THe feeling you are getting is the enzymes attacking you flesh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.