Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are your views on the IRA, a group many have branded to be terrorists, yet others heroes. A group who liberated Ireland from British rule and attempted to do the same thing to Northern Ireland, after the parliament opt-out of the newly founded Irish state. A group who terrorised England and the Middle East for 30 odd years, by strategically bombing key areas.

Do you support their dream to see the island or Ireland re-united as it was before? Or do you consider the residents of Northern Ireland "British" and therefore see the IRA as cold blooded savages who should be hanged if the death penalty were still in place?

ReputationRep:
    You can't really make the issue of Ireland/Northern Ireland this simplistic.

For a start, the IRA that 'liberated' Ireland from British rule and the IRA that tried to force the British out of Northern Ireland were two different organisations.

ReputationRep:
    While I think they are terrorists and know of their atrocities, something like a boy-hood spy agency coolness always pops up into my mind when I hear the IRA mentioned.

Maybe I read too many IRA thrillers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harris)
    While I think they are terrorists and know of their atrocities, something like a boy-hood spy agency coolness always pops up into my mind when I hear the IRA mentioned.

Maybe I read too many IRA thrillers?
    They exist?

ReputationRep:
    I support their cause. I didn't support their actions (and I certainly don't support the RIRA's actions).

I believe that negotiations will eventually reopen, once a UI has the support of the majority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    I support their cause. I didn't support their actions (and I certainly don't support the RIRA's actions).

I believe that negotiations will eventually reopen, once a UI has the support of the majority.
    Once talking becomes insufficient, we as humans use our fists.

So how long would it take before you foresee a united Ireland?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    Once talking becomes insufficient, we as humans use our fists.

So how long would it take before you foresee a united Ireland?
    It's the fact that the UI was clearly not supported by the majority of NI residents that spurred the IRA on. If the majority wanted it, it would have come about by peaceful means. That's common sense.

I'd say twenty-five years at least before anything opens up. I don't predict roses, either. Loyalists can be violent as well..

ReputationRep:
    The IrA are heros in Republican zones, thats because the people grew up seeing British soldiers on Irish soil to be legitimate targets. Ulster loyalists did kind of get what they wanted by arming themselves. They set the goal of partition and then armed. Thats just how its done in Ulster I guess! Websites like this will give you more of an idea why the nationalists hated the british soldiers patrolling their areas so much (link) http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...justify/3.html Belfast is like that though, very small town, people know the people from their estate

rockrunride - the last vote on the constitution was boycotted by catholics. who the heck knows what the outcome would be?

ReputationRep:
    They were murderers who had no regard for human life (even of those they claimed to be fighting for).

ReputationRep:
    Lol, when I left my house earlier this randomer came and started talking to me about how 'people hate him' because he 'loves the IRA', and showed me this tattoo written in Irish(?). He was also drunk.
    I was a bit taken aback!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    They were murderers who had no regard for human life (even of those they claimed to be fighting for).
    :rolleyes:

you know this do you?

you lived in Ireland?

you experienced the troubles?

you live in a Republican heartland?

you met any IRA volunteers, past or present?

5 no's id guess....

THIS THREAD IS GOING TO BE FULL OF RESPONSES LIKE THIS, PEOPLE KNOWING **** ALL ABOUT THE SITUATION YET THROWING IN THEIR 2 CENTS ANYWAY, EITHER THOSE WHO WILL JUST TOE THE PARTY LINE AND FOLLOW PROPAGANDA 'IRA MURDERERS, BAD FOR EVERYONE BLAH BLAH BLAH' OR THOSE WHO WILL HAVE SOME ROMANTICISED AND BLURRED VISION OF IRISH REPUBLICANISM.

ReputationRep:
    They bombed the middle east?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    They bombed the middle east?
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roryq)
    :rolleyes:

you know this do you?

you lived in Ireland?

you experienced the troubles?

you live in a Republican heartland?

you met any IRA volunteers, past or present?

5 no's id guess....

THIS THREAD IS GOING TO BE FULL OF RESPONSES LIKE THIS, PEOPLE KNOWING **** ALL ABOUT THE SITUATION YET THROWING IN THEIR 2 CENTS ANYWAY, EITHER THOSE WHO WILL JUST TOE THE PARTY LINE AND FOLLOW PROPAGANDA 'IRA MURDERERS, BAD FOR EVERYONE BLAH BLAH BLAH' OR THOSE WHO WILL HAVE SOME ROMANTICISED AND BLURRED VISION OF IRISH REPUBLICANISM.
    I'v seen the sites of the birmingham pub bombings.

I'm quite happy calling them murdering terrorist criminal scum, because at the end of the day that is what they are.

ReputationRep:
    i support their cause completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    I hope you know what they were fighting for before you post such ignorant crap.

ReputationRep:
    They are heroes.

Freedom is not free...American idea? Who cares if it's true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big_C.)

I'm quite happy calling them murdering terrorist criminal scum, because at the end of the day that is what they are.
    i know im not going to change your mind and i don't intend to try however....

just because you seen those sites doesn't give you the right to make that ill informed assumption....

The British Army in one day shot dead 14 innocent civilians in my city, every day going into town i walk through the area that happened, i walk past the monument, my neighbour still has a scar from when the bullet passed through his leg that day.....many times they terrorised my family and any nationalist they could get their hands on.....

i don't make any generalised assumptions about the soldiers and i have no right to do so....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big_C.)

Exactly. I told the truth about the IRA and I get attacked by insane militant Republicans.

You IRA fanboys might want to read The Informer by Sean O'Callaghan, an ex PIRA man who shows what scum they really were.

ReputationRep:
    read it and laughed. a ******* with a big ego who sold out his friends and comrades for money....he wrote a book about it, people read it, people think hes a hereo, hes a traitor to his nation....

don't inderestimate the power of personal grudges on the man...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.