The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Up the provos! Time for peace to go.

In all honesty i support their past but nowadays times are a changing. I do not believe that violence could free northern ireland. Britian is hanging on to the remains of its crumbled empire too strongly.
Reply 21
roryq
i know im not going to change your mind and i don't intend to try however....

just because you seen those sites doesn't give you the right to make that ill informed assumption....

The British Army in one day shot dead 14 innocent civilians in my city, every day going into town i walk through the area that happened, i walk past the monument, my neighbour still has a scar from when the bullet passed through his leg that day.....many times they terrorised my family and any nationalist they could get their hands on.....

i don't make any generalised assumptions about the soldiers and i have no right to do so....

My moms side of my family is Irish and the any sympathy the IRA might have had in the Midlands evaporated after those bombings. Surely if your problem is with the british armies behaviour than trying to out do some of the violent things they may have done isn't the way to go about things.

If the IRA had any real support then it would have shown through the elections at the time and since. As it was they didn't and the majority did not want a united ireland as said above in this thread. So why the IRA had to go to such horrific measures to try and force one is beyond me.
Reply 22
roryq
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :woo:

:confused:
?
Bateman
They bombed the middle east?

Well they killed the Israeli Ambassador to the Court of St James's, Shlomo Argov.

and a large car bomb exploded outside the Israeli Embassy in London, injuring 20 people on the 26 July 1994

My mistake if I made it seem that the IRA actually went out to the Middle East lol.

I believe this hate for Israel is because Gadaffi(leader of Libya) donated about 1000 AK-47's in their fight to unite NI, because Gadaffi himself had, had a coup d'état against the Libyian monarchy which is why he's still their "leader" to this day. Furthermore the Palestinian-Israeli conflict didn't help things either. Freedom fighters seem to stick together no matter where they're from in the world.
Reply 24
Don_Scott
Exactly. I told the truth about the IRA and I get attacked by insane militant Republicans.

You IRA fanboys might want to read The Informer by Sean O'Callaghan, an ex PIRA man who shows what scum they really were.

the truth....ha ha ******* ha....wise up ya muppet...you sit behind your computer in Scotland and spout the 'truth'.....ya tit, you clearly know very little.

you make a statement about the IRA, you make that in such an ill informed manner, how much experience of the situation in Ireland did you have before comng to the conclusion you did...?
Reply 25
I think the IRA are murdering scum bags. Alright, I'm not so keen on a United Ireland myself, but I have far more respect for Nationalists who go about things peacefully than any form of the IRA (Provos, RIRA, etc.). And don't try and yap at me and say I don't know what I'm talking about, because I have family from both sides (even though I'm closer to the Unionist side). The idea that some find them "heroes" sickens me.
roryq
read it and laughed. a bastard with a big ego who sold out his friends and comrades for money....he wrote a book about it, people read it, people think hes a hereo, hes a traitor to his nation....

don't inderestimate the power of personal grudges on the man...

First of all, learn to spell.

And when a honest man campaigns against politiical violence he suddenly becomes a "traitor"? You know that the Irish Republic is against the IRA as well, yes?

You disgust me.
UGeNe
They are heroes.

Freedom is not free...American idea? Who cares if it's true!

Didn't you used to have a Russian flag? :confused:

Would you care to tell us why you think they're heroes?
Ireland and NI should both be regions within the United Kingdom.

Nevermind a United Ireland, it should be the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
Reply 29
ScotlandStandUp
Well they killed the Israeli Ambassador to the Court of St James's, Shlomo Argov.

and a large car bomb exploded outside the Israeli Embassy in London, injuring 20 people on the 26 July 1994

My mistake if I made it seem that the IRA actually went out to the Middle East lol.

I believe this hate for Israel is because Gadaffi(leader of Libya) donated about 1000 AK-47's in their fight to unite NI, because Gadaffi himself had, had a coup d'état against the Libyian monarchy which is why he's still their "leader" to this day. Furthermore the Palestinian-Israeli conflict didn't help things either. Freedom fighters seem to stick together no matter where they're from in the world.

well my support for them has increased. I have always fully supported the unification of Ireland, although Britain has a lot of respect from me for the way they handled the situation. Look at how Israel is handling Hamas.
Reply 30
Forbidden Fruit

Nevermind a United Ireland, it should be the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Why? There should be an Ireland, an England, a Scotland and a Wales.
"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter".

Whilst this is quite correct,I ,personally, feel that there are wrongs that must be made right(on both sides) and that Ireland's land was stolen from them.

I,however,personally could not condone the murder of innocent civilians. Not by the British Army,not by the IRA, not by any army.
Don_Scott
First of all, learn to spell.

And when a honest man campaigns against politiical violence he suddenly becomes a "traitor"? You know that the Irish Republic is against the IRA as well, yes?

You disgust me.

Without the IRA there would be no Irish Republic, you must be referring to the PIRA or the RIRA and no most Irishmen and women support them and would like to one day see a united Ireland, however the government is a completely different thing and do you honestly believe they'd tell everyone they support the PIRA or RIRA? Don't be daft.
Bateman

What's the reasoning behind this facile argument? Some qualitative form of nationalistic independence is a wholly irrelevant argument, as Scotland, NI and Wales would go from being under the control of the UK to the control of the EU.
I thought Libya sold weapons to the IRA because it would piss off Britain. Maybe the IRA agreed to bomb the Israeli embassy as a swap for the weaponry.
Bateman

I agree, but let the people do the talking, there'll definitely be a referendum for NI, Scotland and even possibly Wales in the future.
Reply 36
Big_C.
My moms side of my family is Irish and the any sympathy the IRA might have had in the Midlands evaporated after those bombings. Surely if your problem is with the british armies behaviour than trying to out do some of the violent things they may have done isn't the way to go about things.

If the IRA had any real support then it would have shown through the elections at the time and since. As it was they didn't and the majority did not want a united ireland as said above in this thread. So why the IRA had to go to such horrific measures to try and force one is beyond me.

i wasn't trying to 'out do some of the violent things they done' i was simply pointing out that due to one event you cannot make such an assumption that you did....

and, no support?

are you serious mate, in 1981 the IRA stood their first ever candidate for an election to a British Parliament....his name was Bobby Sands, he was dying in Long Kesh....at the first time of asking he took a seat previously held by a unionist and became a MP.

Sinn Fein then went down the 'armalite and ballot box' route and ever since then have got hundreds of thousands of votes in every election....in the last european election, the first ever republican to top the poll i n a vote in NI was SF's Bairbre de Brun with over 160,000 votes despite a record low turnout....

the PIRA always could rely on hundreds of thousands of supporters....to say otherwise shows your ignorance of the situation...

why did the IRA have to go to such horrific measures?....they were involved in a war to free the 6 counties from illegal British occupation the best way to go about this was to fight fire with fire.....this has changed, now the best way is sitting at the negotiating table, that is why you see SF in power in NI....as one leading IRA member said, 1 bomb on the British mainland will catch the attention of 70 in Belfast or Derry, that is why Birmingham/Manchester/London etc were targeted...that is why they still are considered legitimate targets for splinter groups - the RIRA/CIRA.....
Forbidden Fruit

Sorry but that is never going to happen. Countries don't often revoke their independence
ScotlandStandUp
Without the IRA there would be no Irish Republic, you must be referring to the PIRA or the RIRA and no most Irishmen and women support them and would like to one day see a united Ireland, however the government is a completely different thing and do you honestly believe they'd tell everyone they support the PIRA or RIRA? Don't be daft.

There are still about four IRAs even discounting the provos. Which ones are you talking about? The ones for or against facism? The official IRA?
Reply 39
Bateman
:confused:
?

sorry bateman, i was laughing at the OP in the post you asked about.... as i thought he had put in middle east by error, he later explained this...:yes:

Latest

Trending

Trending