Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big_C.)
    It's not a majority that wants a united Ireland though is it? Or it would have happened by now.

Seems to me as if the majority want to stay as part of the UK...

oh sorry, i get you now, yes the majority wants to stay part of the UK, when talking about the IRA's support i was automatically discounting unionists (for obvious reasons) and was meaning they had the support of the majority of nationalists.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    Who's "they", ask any Irishman if he'd like to see a united Ireland like there once was and he'll say yes, unless he's a protestant.
    Not entirely true. Northern Ireland is pretty well off within the UK in terms of how much money they receive from it and the standard of living would probably drop considerably if a United Ireland was to be formed any time soon. So you'll find some catholics who are happy enough as they are.

ReputationRep:
    British colonized (cough...civilized) many lands and peoples.

The Irish were no better or worse than the Orientals, or the Native Americans.

Of course, the IRA had a contrary point of view. Bombs make a loud sound...louder than words.

What if Gandhi never stood up to the British?

ReputationRep:
    It's not a majority that wants a united Ireland though is it? Or it would have happened by now.

Seems to me as if the majority want to stay as part of the UK...
    There are more protestants(almost all of which favour the union) than catholics in Northern Ireland, hence why they wouldn't want the union to collapse.

However if you took the vote to both sides of the border it'd be a completely different story.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people who fought against the IRA in the Irish civil war were originally from the IRA.
    Yes thats why its confusing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    British colonized (cough...civilized) many lands and peoples.

The Irish were no better or worse than the Orientals, or the Native Americans.
    Civilised?

That's why the unofficial courts set up by the Dail in 1919 were widely recognised as more just and egalitarian than the British ones they aimed to replace?

But you're just trolling anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Northern Ireland is a pretty cut-off place. I think thats what they like about it, not being part of the union

ReputationRep:
    There are more protestants(almost all of which favour the union) than catholics in Northern Ireland, hence why they wouldn't want the union to collapse.

However if you took the vote to both sides of the border it'd be a completely different story.
    But surely the fate of Norhtern Ireland should be decided by the people of Northern Ireland not the people of southern Ireland. And if most of Northern Ireland are unionists and want to be a part of the UK then surely Northern Ireland should continue being a part of the UK...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eric Arthur)
    Not entirely true. Northern Ireland is pretty well off within the UK in terms of how much money they receive from it and the standard of living would probably drop considerably if a United Ireland was to be formed any time soon. So you'll find some catholics who are happy enough as they are.
    Ireland for it's size and population makes an enormous amount of money, their economy once the recession is over will once again boom, like it was doing previously.

Also it's arguable that the standard of living would drop considerably, Scotland would be richer independently, and I think a united Ireland would benefit the province of Ulster more(economically speaking).

ReputationRep:
    Civilised?

That's why the unofficial courts set up by the Dail in 1919 were widely recognised as more just and egalitarian than the British ones they aimed to replace?

So what do yu think should have happened in 1919? I quite like the Irish Republic

ReputationRep:
    But surely the fate of Norhtern Ireland should be decided by the people of Northern Ireland not the people of southern Ireland. And if most of Northern Ireland are unionists and want to be a part of the UK then surely Northern Ireland should continue being a part of the UK...
    but surely the fate of Ireland should be decided by the people of Ireland....

ReputationRep:
    Northern Ireland/ Southern Ireland/ what does it matter

ReputationRep:
    What are your views on the IRA, a group many have branded to be terrorists, yet others heroes. A group who liberated Ireland from British rule and attempted to do the same thing to Northern Ireland, after the parliament opt-out of the newly founded Irish state. A group who terrorised England and the Middle East for 30 odd years, by strategically bombing key areas.

Do you support their dream to see the island or Ireland re-united as it was before? Or do you consider the residents of Northern Ireland "British" and therefore see the IRA as cold blooded savages who should be hanged if the death penalty were still in place?
    Honestly can't be assed reading what has been said, I will after I've posted this. I support the IRA in the 1910s and 1920s. I support the IRA that reformed at the start of The Troubles. These groups had a message and a will to do what was needed at the time. The time for violence has passed and I believe we should look to the political forum to unite Ireland once again.

Before the Act of Partition, the people of Ireland wanted Home Rule and freedom from the UK. A small minority based predominantly in two counties of the northernmost province of Ireland did not want this. By democracy, the entire of Ireland should've been freed. It is what the people wanted. Hell, many of the people of Northern Ireland don't want to be there. Derry, Fermanagh and Tyrone all want to return to the South and they wanted to remain part of the South in 1921 as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roryq)
    oh sorry, i get you now, yes the majority wants to stay part of the UK, when talking about the IRA's support i was automatically discounting unionists (for obvious reasons) and was meaning they had the support of the majority of nationalists.....

ah fair enough.

My point was that the majority of people in Northern Ireland wanted to stay as part of the UK so therefore the majority of people in northern Ireland didn't support the IRA.

I would however imagine that a sizeable section of the nationalist minortiy would support the IRA, as you point out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roryq)
    but surely the fate of Ireland should be decided by the people of Ireland....
    That border really does the job it was intended to ey?

ReputationRep:
    Ireland for it's size and population makes an enormous amount of money, their economy once the recession is over will once again boom, like it was doing previously.

Also it's arguable that the standard of living would drop considerably, Scotland would be richer independently, and I think a united Ireland would benefit the province of Ulster more(economically speaking).
    That's where I would disagree. The "Celtic Tiger" was heavily funded by the EU. I think, especially with the rapid fading of industry and the increasing reliance on public service jobs, that it would be a bad time to break from being effectively subsidised by Westminster.

Then again, we might be fine; after all, Northern Irish politicians are experts at asking other countries for money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigoblue)
    Northern Ireland/ Southern Ireland/ what does it matter
    Well it matters quite a lot as they are in different countries and most people in Northern Ireland want it to remain that way...

ReputationRep:
    Civilised?

Why are you fairying out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigoblue)
    So what do yu think should have happened in 1919? I quite like the Irish Republic
    What do you mean what do I think should have happened?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the first vote would ultimately have to be the one where Northern Ireland decides whether or not it wants to leave the union, and secondly does the republic want the province of Ulster in it's republic.

We'll see soon enough though via referendum. As a few votes are "useless" considering Sinn Fein and the UUP are the main parties.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.