Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigoblue)
    Northern Ireland/ Southern Ireland/ what does it matter
    It matters a lot. Personally, I find the South to be, in day to day things, a lot more like a foreign country than, say, when I go over to Scotland. Having Southerners have an equal say in the fate of Northern Ireland doesn't sit well with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big_C.)
    Well it matters quite a lot as they are in different countries and most people in Northern Ireland want it to remain that way...
    Yeah you've said that a million times, but why does it really matter? The Irish are one people underneath it all, Protestant or Catholic. Twill always be the Four Proud Provinces

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roryq)
    but surely the fate of Ireland should be decided by the people of Ireland....
    And surely it has been?

People currently in the UK want to remain that way and the Eire government doesn't really seem to be pushing towards a united Ireland does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theciz)
    It matters a lot. Personally, I find the South to be, in day to day things, a lot more like a foreign country than, say, when I go over to Scotland. Having Southerners have an equal say in the fate of Northern Ireland doesn't sit well with me.
    You sound a little prejudiced. Maybe you should get that checked out

ReputationRep:
    If there's ever to be the four united provinces as there were before, the south needs to have their input engraved on the situation.

Also Scotland and England are completely different countries in my opinion, I've been to England twice and they do not resemble each other one bit and I'm not talking about the lochs and mountains.

ReputationRep:
    And surely it has been?

People currently in the UK want to remain that way and the Eire government doesn't really seem to be pushing towards a united Ireland does it?
    well no, if everyone had a vote in ireland for a united ireland, they'd vote for a united ireland. but britain said no!

ReputationRep:
    Why would anyone want to leave the UK anyway? The UK is the best country in the world.

Why would anyone want to live in a republic? Monarchies are much better.

God Save the Queen!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you've said that a million times, but why does it really matter? The Irish are one people underneath it all, Protestant or Catholic. Twill always be the Four Proud Provinces
    I agree, which is why they should all have an input, regardless of the fact that there's a border between them.

ReputationRep:
    But the many northern Irish that see themselves as British clearly don't see it that way.

So it clearly does matter.

ReputationRep:
    And surely it has been?

well, there is an article in the constitution that all Irish (Republic of) have to abide by that lays claim to the 6 counties of NI so technically all govts are pro united ireland although as you say it has been put to the back of the agenda in the dail eireann.....

however parties in their manifesto do not chose to be pro or anti united ireland, unless they ppledge to change the irish constitution, which no party does....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    If there's ever to be the four united provinces as there were before, the south needs to have their input engraved on the situation.

Also Scotland and England are completely different countries in my opinion, I've been to England twice and they do not resemble each other one bit and I'm not talking about the lochs and mountains.
    Well, I do agree with the first part, actually. I think I'd be more comfortable if there was one referendum for people in NI to see if we'd want a United Ireland and the one in the South to see if they'd have us.

Maybe it's just subjective? It's just the little things, such as different names for things, different currency, green postboxes, etc., that make it that bit more "foreign" to me, as opposed to when I visit relatives in England and things are pretty much the same as at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roryq)
    well, there is an article in the constitution that all Irish (Republic of) have to abide by that lays claim to the 6 counties of NI so technically all govts are pro united ireland although as you say it has been put to the back of the agenda in the dail eireann.....

however parties in their manifesto do not chose to be pro or anti united ireland, unless they ppledge to change the irish constitution, which no party does....
    I believe that claim was removed as per The Good Friday Agreement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roryq)

Um, weren't Articles 2 and 3 amended to remove the claim over Northern Ireland when the Good Friday Agreement was signed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    I believe that claim was removed as per The Good Friday Agreement.

seems your right articles 2 and 3 were ammended in 98...:yes:

yip, theciz....my bad chaps...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    Ireland for it's size and population makes an enormous amount of money, their economy once the recession is over will once again boom, like it was doing previously.

Also it's arguable that the standard of living would drop considerably, Scotland would be richer independently, and I think a united Ireland would benefit the province of Ulster more(economically speaking).
    "Northern Ireland is massively subsidized by the rest of the UK. In 1992-3 the subvention - public spending in the province not covered by tax raised there - amounted to £3.3 billion ($4.8 billion)"

Those are the most up to date figures I can find but considering that the Republic's economy is in a complete mess and won't just be booming again like you claim given that a lot of that was due to EU funding as has been said, it's very doubtful they could afford it.

Unemployment in the south is also rather high at around 10% and given that just over 60% of NI's workforce is employed in the public sector they're either going to have to keep funding that or cut it and face higher unemployment.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Don_Scott]Why would anyone want to leave the UK anyway? The UK is the best country in the world.

I beg to differ, the UK is in complete shambles and is not getting better. As for best country in the world I can name at least 20 other countries where life is better than in Britain.

Why would anyone want to live in a republic? Monarchies are much better.
    As stated above how are monarchies better? Let's look at the biggest countries and see if they're monarchies.

France(executed their King and Queen)
    Russia(overrun and killed theirs)
    Italy(had a referendum and ended their monarchy)

to name a few

God Save the Queen!
    Not very Scottish is it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roryq)
    seems your right articles 2 and 3 were ammended in 98...:yes:

yip, theciz....my bad chaps...
    Heh, just a leftover from my exam on the subject (and coursework the year before, just can't escape that GFA lol!)

ReputationRep:
    Well that claim didn't account for much before the Good Friday Agreement either did it? They could just as easily put it back in. I don't know why the unionists wanted that removed, because they'd already been separate from the Republic for ages, so the constitutional claim was obviously moot

ReputationRep:
    Heh, just a leftover from my exam on the subject (and coursework the year before, just can't escape that GFA lol!)

i found it easy enough to escape it, obviously lol.

thankfully too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eric Arthur)
    "Northern Ireland is massively subsidized by the rest of the UK. In 1992-3 the subvention - public spending in the province not covered by tax raised there - amounted to £3.3 billion ($4.8 billion)"

Those are the most up to date figures I can find but considering that the Republic's economy is in a complete mess and won't just be booming again like you claim given that a lot of that was due to EU funding as has been said, it's very doubtful they could afford it.

Unemployment in the south is also rather high at around 10% and given that just over 60% of NI's workforce is employed in the public sector they're either going to have to keep funding that or cut it and face higher unemployment.
    The Republic will get a boom at the same time the UK next experiences a boom. The Republic doesn't live off of the EU anymore. In the first place, it was American companies locating their offices in Ireland which gave Ireland a chance in its economy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.