Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Interesting how you say we will never have a united Ireland, when the general concensus is that we will eventually have a united Ireland.
    The general consensus amongst Republicans?

Or is this that sinister ethno-nationalist 'let's outbreed the Prods, Mary!' rubbish raising its head again?

Sinn Fein are the second largest party in Northern Ireland? They are only a few seats behind the DUP. Martin McGuinness is our Deputy First Minister. If they win the next election, which is a possibility, then Northern Ireland will have voted for unification with Ireland.
    Er, no, there's no more than a snowball's chance in Hell of SF winning an outright majority of the Northern Irish vote. Plus, a vote for a political party is not necessarily a vote for any particular policy: coming from Scotland, I've heard of plenty of people who vote SNP yet do not want Scottish independence.

ReputationRep:
    Sinn Fein are the second largest party in Northern Ireland? They are only a few seats behind the DUP. Martin McGuinness is our Deputy First Minister. If they win the next election, which is a possibility, then Northern Ireland will have voted for unification with Ireland.

You should really research things before you enter a debate.

And what are they in the Republic? A nonentity. It's not enough to vote for a party just because they endorse a dreamland policy, such a decision would need to have an outright referendum- which would never happen and would never pass. You are the one who thinks that since a proportion of the North want reunification along with a few Nationalists in the republic- it will happen. I am forming my opinion from living in the republic all my life- people here have accepted the existence of the North and see no reason for it to change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    The general consensus amongst Republicans?

Or is this that sinister ethno-nationalist 'let's outbreed the Prods, Mary!' rubbish raising its head again?

Er, no, there's no more than a snowball's chance in Hell of SF winning an outright majority of the Northern Irish vote. Plus, a vote for a political party is not necessarily a vote for any particular policy: coming from Scotland, I've heard of plenty of people who vote SNP yet do not want Scottish independence.
    Actually, that's the concensus amongst Unionists, including my family members who are members of the Orange Order. Nationalism has been on the increase ever since the vote became fair. Whether that's down to outbreeding, as many believe, or just a general trend, it's still plain to see.

Lib, for all that you are exceptionally well read on the issue, sometimes you need to step back and stop making predictions bout Northern Irish politics. You should also not compare Northern Irish politics to any other politics out there. Even now the only real issue we vote over is a united Ireland, much as I disagree with that. The only parties who get voted for without that in mind are the least popular parties in Northern Ireland.

(Original post by StarsAreFixed)
    And what are they in the Republic? A nonentity. It's not enough to vote for a party just because they endorse a dreamland policy, such a decision would need to have an outright referendum- which would never happen and would never pass. You are the one who thinks that since a proportion of the North want reunification along with a few Nationalists in the republic- it will happen. I am forming my opinion from living in the republic all my life- people here have accepted the existence of the North and see no reason for it to change.
    Sinn Fein's popularity in the South doesn't matter. Read the Good Friday Agreement. The only vote that matters is that of Northern Ireland. The referendum you speak of is the vote in Stormont. It's pretty clear as Sinn Fein's main policy is that of unifying the country and the DUP's main policy is stopping that.

Having lived in the North all my life and travelled all over the South, whilst they may have accepted it, you'd be surprised how many still want a united Ireland, even if they aren't fussed about chasing it. Also, as the constitution was only changed with the Good Friday Agreement, I don't really think it's still that unimportant, seeing as the motivation behind dropping the demand for NI was to help bring peace to NI, not because they still don't believe in it.

After all, the 32 CSM is in the South, not in the North.

ReputationRep:

You should really research things before you enter a debate.
    That's assuming that the Republic wants to unify the island.

Are you sure Dublin's ready to commit to Belfast?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    That's assuming that the Republic wants to unify the island.

Are you sure Dublin's ready to commit to Belfast?
    In principle, yes. Currently, no. Both countries need to get out of the economic crisis before it can really be more than an ideological pipe dream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    What are your views on the IRA, a group many have branded to be terrorists, yet others heroes. A group who liberated Ireland from British rule and attempted to do the same thing to Northern Ireland, after the parliament opt-out of the newly founded Irish state. A group who terrorised England and the Middle East for 30 odd years, by strategically bombing key areas.

Do you support their dream to see the island or Ireland re-united as it was before? Or do you consider the residents of Northern Ireland "British" and therefore see the IRA as cold blooded savages who should be hanged if the death penalty were still in place?
    Th Irish Republican Army or Óglaigh na hÉireann doesn't just date back to the late 1960's.

The army was formed when the first Dáil Éireann was established as the government of the proclaimed Irish Republic and its volunteers were deemed Irelands only legitimate army by its people and the Dáil.

The IRA that many people would be familiar with are that of the provisional Irish Republican Army formed in 1969. Many view this as the continuation of the IRA of the early 1900's however others don't.

The IRA waged a guerilla war against the British state and inevitably as a result there were many civilian casulties however unlike the British army and its loyalist death squads the IRA apologised for the deaths of all those civilians killed and to the families of those who they seen as enemy combatants.

My own view is that the IRA was a well politicised working class army who fought the might of the British army to a standstill and those remanats that still survive to the day are dishonouring the sacrifice of those volunteers by continuing with mindless violence leading to nothing but the imprisonment of more people and uneccesary deaths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    What are your views on the IRA, a group many have branded to be terrorists, yet others heroes. A group who liberated Ireland from British rule and attempted to do the same thing to Northern Ireland, after the parliament opt-out of the newly founded Irish state. A group who terrorised England and the Middle East for 30 odd years, by strategically bombing key areas.

Do you support their dream to see the island or Ireland re-united as it was before? Or do you consider the residents of Northern Ireland "British" and therefore see the IRA as cold blooded savages who should be hanged if the death penalty were still in place?
    Yeh, like that strategic Argos in Warrington.

IRA are a bunch of murdering *******s.

The people of NI have voted to stay in the UK and we should respect that decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dcfc2007)
    The IRA waged a guerilla war against the British state and inevitably as a result there were many civilian casulties however unlike the British army and its loyalist death squads the IRA apologised for the deaths of all those civilians killed and to the families of those who they seen as enemy combatants.
    The British Army has a legitimate right and reason to be running around with guns and firing them - and yes, sometimes people get killed. Terrorist groups, however, have no such legitimate right.

ReputationRep:
    ****'s sake, guys. This thread has been dead since ******* May.

(Original post by flugelr)
    Yeh, like that strategic Argos in Warrington.

IRA are a bunch of murdering *******s.

The people of NI have voted to stay in the UK and we should respect that decision.
    Shut up. Both sides are just as bad as each other.

(Original post by L i b)
    The British Army has a legitimate right and reason to be running around with guns and firing them - and yes, sometimes people get killed. Terrorist groups, however, have no such legitimate right.
    You're too smart to play that game, Lib. You know full well that the IRA are more than some terrorist group, even if you don't agree with them.

ReputationRep:
    Brother Faisal can do the IRA voice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    What gives the British army a right to murder young children and unarmed civilians ?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.