Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the government abide by the will of the people? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    Lol, we live in media driven politics.

Not only do the media decide who we vote for, but they also decide what issues we take to heart, and then politicians, in a bid to win those hearts, focus on those issues.

That's why we haven't taken up nuclear power they way we should have. There's nothing wrong with nuclear power. Scientists know it. Anybody who's done an ounce of research knows it. Anybody politician who has met a half-decent scientific advisor knows it. But the media don't, therefore the people don't, therefore the people plan to vote for those who oppose it, therefore the parties oppose it.

We live in media-driven politics anyway.

But that's why I said that direct democracy was a bad idea in Britain - because, on the whole, we are uninformed morons who make our decisions via the wants of the editors of dubious tabloids. Get rid of that culture of ignorance and stupidity, and direct democracy will work.

It isn't direct democracy that's problematic itself, it's the attitudes and traditions of the British people that's the problem.
    I agree. Direct democracy would be a disaster in Britain.

ReputationRep:
    And that would be fine if they held onto their traditions because they were better, rather than just because they are traditional.

Many of the Tory traditions are quite non-applicable in a positive way to modern society, and many of the progressions they oppose are absolutely necessary to the positive progress of society.
    You do know that is what Conservatives believe right?

"I am a Conservative to preserve all that is good in our constitution, a Radical to remove all that is bad."

- Benjamin Disraeli

They are far more wary of the problems of complete change to traditions, however as even minor changes can have unintended consquences.

The idea of progress is also mostly an illusion.

ReputationRep:
    tyranny of the majority, mob rule, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    You do know that is what Conservatives believe right?

"I am a Conservative to preserve all that is good in our constitution, a Radical to remove all that is bad."

- Benjamin Disraeli

They are far more wary of the problems of complete change to traditions, however as even minor changes can have unintended consquences.

The idea of progress is also mostly an illusion.
    Societal progress is not an illusion.

ReputationRep:
    Societal progress is not an illusion.
    Well, I fear because of man's nature that a lot of "progress" is an illusion and what always better society.

A lot of the "progress" since the war hasn't just had positive effects but also negative ones as well.

Socities need to evolve not change completely.

ReputationRep:
    This is what I find strange about democracy in general. I'm almost old enough to vote, but I don't know anything. It doesn't really seem to work as a system, does it?

But theoretically, wouldn't a direct democracy be better? I thought it would shift the focus away from a party getting power, and so there would be less tricks, lies etc.

ReputationRep:
    It is enough that the government have been democratically elected. The electorate have given direct control over the governing of the country to the ruling party, therefore constant referendums over certain issues are unnecessary and a barrier to progress.

ReputationRep:
    No, they should not.

But to be honest, it's a balance. The people aren't experts. Should a responsible government do anything the people demand, even if it led to worsening the country? Then again, a government in a democratic system should perform some policies that are demanded. but this is generally done at election time, since people vote for parties based on their manifestos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    So, do you think that the government should act in response to public opinion and the will of the people
    Lord, no. It should be a consideration, certainly, but if you're suggesting Parliament - our great body of deliberation and debate - should bow to the whims of the great unwashed then quite frankly you should be ashamed of yourself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.