Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone had a car crash soon after passing test? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I had a minor car crash today. I dont think the damage is too serious but I only passed my test a couple of weeks ago and havent even got my proper license back yet. Has anyone else crashed so soon after passing their test? I feel like never driving again

ReputationRep:
    How did you crash?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobie123)
    I had a minor car crash today. I dont think the damage is too serious but I only passed my test a couple of weeks ago and havent even got my proper license back yet. Has anyone else crashed so soon after passing their test? I feel like never driving again
    Yep I wrote off my car ten days after I passed my test back in May. Now I won't drive until I'm twenty one and even then insurance will be sky high. No one has a more woeful driving tale than I!

ReputationRep:
    Just into the back of another car. Broke lights and dented bumper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serrellen)
    Yep I wrote off my car ten days after I passed my test back in May. Now I won't drive until I'm twenty one and even then insurance will be sky high. No one has a more woeful driving tale than I!
    Oh no, how did it happen? Was it your fault? Mine happened cos I wasnt paying attention, it was only the second time out on my own - and it was my mums car so she is not happy

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, how did it happen? Was it your fault? Mine happened cos I wasnt paying attention, it was only the second time out on my own - and it was my mums car so she is not happy
    I just wasn't a very good driver. I wasn't concentrating on a perfectly straight road, lost concentration and went onto the kerb, hit a wheeliebin which skewed me more onto the pavement, bounced off a lampost and slammed straight into a (newly built) brick wall. Airbag came out and everything. I was lucky not to be hurt and moreover if anyone had been walking along the pavement they would have been killed instantly, I was doing about 40. I get nightmares about it still. It was my own car, my parents' old one which they had given to me. They were really rather nice about it - think they realised I beat myself up about it enough without them joining in.

ReputationRep:
    About 6 months after I passed my test

Got reversed on to by a Mitsubishi Trojan. My poor little Corsa had all the front smashed in and had to claim for the repairs

ReputationRep:
    I had an incident last weekend, and I've not driven long. Was in the right hand lane of a duel carrigeway, wanting to get back into the left lane, so I checked my mirrors and then blind spot, saw the car already in the left hand lane and decided I needed to be a bit further ahead before moving over, but this car then started to undertake me and I was so shocked that I didn't look ahead again quick enough and started scraping the curb near the central reservation. It was a 50mph zone, but still, if I hadn't have turned back round any sooner, my car could have taken off by hitting the curb fully.

My colleague, whilst talking about this, told me she wrote her mum's car off within a week of passing her test. She pulled out of a junction onto a road and a car hit her - but was let off because it was proven that the car that smashed into her was going way too fast.

The road is full of too many reckless people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    The road is full of too many reckless people.
    Agreed

ReputationRep:
    At least you werent hurt. Its not always speed that causes crashes sometimes just lack of experience. Boyracers give us young drivers a bad name

ReputationRep:
    Friend of a friend wrote their car off day after their test (going too fast and went into a ditch I believe) oh dear

ReputationRep:
    What was most embarassing was not crashing but when the other driver got out and said i looked too young to be driving

ReputationRep:
    At least you werent hurt. Its not always speed that causes crashes sometimes just lack of experience. Boyracers give us young drivers a bad name
    I'm a girly but I hate the fact that young lads have to pay thousands of pounds for insurance, Don't know if it's as steep for girls cos I passed when I was 22. They should but fricken cameras in new drivers cars in secret and assess by how they drive THEN charge then thousands of pounds.

ReputationRep:
    im just on my mums insurance so not too expensive, well is wasnt before today. i'm only 17 so my own insurance would cost a fortune

ReputationRep:
    What was most embarassing was not crashing but when the other driver got out and said i looked too young to be driving
    I've been pulled over twice by the Police for looking too young to be driving. They're rather surprised when I whack out the pink and they find that I'm nearly 19 xD

ReputationRep:
    im just on my mums insurance so not too expensive, well is wasnt before today. i'm only 17 so my own insurance would cost a fortune
    Maybe you should get out driving more on your own. You will only get better by experience The day I got my car I was off driving into the night straight away....with no head lights on...but I'm never off the road. Had a few near misses but the experience is building up.

ReputationRep:
    i was only wearing footie shorts and t shirt so i did feel like a bit of a kid stood at the side of the road talking to this guy in his suit.

Any other people have the problem of looking too young to drive?

ReputationRep:
    I know the question is about after the test.. but my mum ran a dog over during her test and failed. It took her 3 times to pass it

ReputationRep:
    I'm 23 and always get ID'd for stuff but never stopped by the police for looking too young haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    I'm 23 and always get ID'd for stuff but never stopped by the police for looking too young haha
    Looking young is generally more of an issue for lads i think than girls who can wear lots of makeup to make then look older

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.