Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone had a car crash soon after passing test? Watch

ReputationRep:
    OP, exactly the same as me. Reversed into another car. Thankfully I was friends with the guy and we agreed that it was both our faults so we didn't go through insurance. I had passeda couple of weeks before it happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    The day I got my car I was off driving into the night straight away....with no head lights on...but I'm never off the road.
    I did that the day I passed....took me a while before I realised why things didn't seem quite right...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SOPHistication)
    I did that the day I passed....took me a while before I realised why things didn't seem quite right...
    I did the opposite! Had full beam lights on and couldnt work out why all the cars coming the other way were flashing their lights at me haha. Eventually my friend realised and told me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SOPHistication)
    It's because we have never driven at night haha they should warn us or something haha. I got dead angry at other drivers flashing their lights at me thought they were picking on me hahaha God knows why!

ReputationRep:
    Ive never driven at night so have the joy of working out headlights to come!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Janey91)
    I did the opposite! Had full beam lights on and couldnt work out why all the cars coming the other way were flashing their lights at me haha. Eventually my friend realised and told me.
    You know what? I think everyone has the fullbeam on sometimes, so I have to flip my mirror up to dim it and I'm sure they start flashing their lights at me....maybe paranoia hmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobie123)
    Ive never driven at night so have the joy of working out headlights to come!
    Little tip....post it notes haha just to remind you

ReputationRep:
    Yep happened to me about two months after I passed my test. Was home from Uni for the weekend and went to see my mate. Turned into his street, and another car tried to take over me on the right and smashed into the door (thankfully I wasnt injured).

To add insult to injury the other driver was uninsured, unfit through alcohol and driving without a licence, meaning a police investigation beconed. Drove to the train station the next day but my driving has never being quite right since as in Im too cautious (and it'll be two years in October)

ReputationRep:
    yes, it really knocks your confidence. I know I dont want to get back in the car anytime soon
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Get back in the car and drive.

If you don't, you'll get more and more nervous about doing it.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you'd pay more attention to your driving soon after passing your test?
    I knew someone who crashed their car driving home from the test centre - hit the side of a small bridge and flipped the car over the edge into the stream/river below.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I thought you'd pay more attention to your driving soon after passing your test?
    Yep you do, but in my case I did everything by the book but still got hit. Nevermind how much you concentrate, it doesnt stop the idiots on the road from being idiots.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't passed my test yet, but there's a boy at my school - first person to pass, after only five lessons (but lots of private practice), who totalled his car about five days after his test. Crashed into a tree, late at night, down a country lane doing 83 mph. He was lucky to be alive! His parents bought him a brand new car three days later... ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    i had a bump a few months after passing my test. i don't believe it was TOTALLY my fault. i was waiting behind a ka at a round a bout, and she started to move off, so i looked to the right to see when i could go and moved forward, and the stupid ***** had changed her mind and i went into the back of her. stupid cow. i was only going about 3 mph, and her car cost £700 to fix! rediculous.

i also went into the back of someone about 6 months after passing my test. they had stopped at a zebra crossing to let someone cross, and i didn't notice and went into the back of them. fortunately, they were foreign and probably uninsured so they drove off. unfortunately, i was going about 30mph, so my car cost about a grand to fix.

and then end of may, (i've been driving now over 3 years) some prick decided to drive into the back of me, just as we came off a round a bout, as i'd stopped behind the car infront who had stopped because someone was turning right. he shunted me into the merc infront, effectively sandwiching my car between the merc and his vectra. BUT THE ******* WAS NOT INSURED and will not talk to the insurance companies.. so i will lose 2 of my 3 years ncb, my preium will double, and my lovely car is in a scrappers yard somewhere being sold for parts it's like he is being rewarded for not having insurance, because he isn't having to pay anything because he's just ignoring everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMed)
    Yep you do, but in my case I did everything by the book but still got hit. Nevermind how much you concentrate, it doesnt stop the idiots on the road from being idiots.
    I know, sorry, that wasn't aimed at you specifically, but tobie123, who said it was his second time out alone.
    I'm learning to drive at the moment, getting close to taking my test and getting my car today - and when I drive at the moment I focus so much, I just wondered how tobie123 let his concentration slip so soon into driving. I don't think I could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    i had a bump a few months after passing my test.

I think our XBox people are twins...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)

and then end of may ... BUT THE ******* WAS NOT INSURED
    Did you see him, what he looked like? Did you get the number plate?
    He committed a very much criminal offence - why should you have to cough up? The police would surely talk to him?

ReputationRep:
    I had a car crash on a driving lesson, not my fault though as someone drove into the back of my car when stopped.

ReputationRep:
    my friend passed his test a week last monday, 2 weeks after his 17th birthday. He ploughed his car through a hedge the following sunday. xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serrellen)
    Yep I wrote off my car ten days after I passed my test back in May. Now I won't drive until I'm twenty one and even then insurance will be sky high. No one has a more woeful driving tale than I!
    That's nothing, my friend got an extra job so he could pay for a brand new car, and 2 days after passing his test he managed to write it off completely, he is still paying for it over a year later every month =P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.